belrathius

Building a vector from independent numbers

How does one build a resultant vector if they are deriving the values for the axes from independent sources?  There are two scenarios I must consider.

First, a single axis.  For example, I am attempting to develop a moving object (an elevator) that must remain relative to other objects, and the total composition must endure being placed anywhere, at any altitude, and with any rotation/facing.  To better understand how it can or cannot move, I need to understand the placement of other objects in the composition, and then formulate the delta and move the piece accordingly.  The problem is, I can't seem to get this to work.  Heck, even the SET Y Vector fails to work as expected.

image.png.6367fb3cb3640514f40b4ce55e9d4ffb.png

This does nothing, the object remains at the ground level, and it gives no error.  How do I properly use the SET vector commands when moving an object along a single vector?

The second scenario involves two axes.  The same premise as above, but now I need to open the elevator doors BUT the issue of random placement and facing requires understanding both the X and the Y deltas needed.  If this was for a static map, I could easily plan my Move To Object and be done with it, but my work is always expected to be workshop-viable, so I need to handle facing and placement variances.  Ergo, sliding doors must factor in changes to both the X and Z axes while remaining true to their visual path.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

You have to use SET POSITION tile, to actually change the position of the entity. :) 
You can either save the position to variable, use SET Y VECTOR to this variable and then set it back to entity like this: 
image.png

or just use parts of the original vector through get X and get Z vector, and set X manually: 
image.png

There is really much more ways to approach this, but the main point is that SET Vector just changes the number itself, but you still have to use it somewhere else, to actually change something visually. 
To change position, always use SET POSITION. :) 
Feel free to write if its till not clear in any way. ^^

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

Actually, this was perfect, thank you.  And it makes more sense now why they would structure like this.  Again, thank you.

• Like 2