Jimin Park

UNDER REVIEW [YLD-23923] Some players don't collide with damaging attacks

Question

Pretty serious game breaking bug here.

In my new game there are 2 teams. When you hit a player on the same team as you, you don't deal damage to them but still see the hit connecting with particle effects showing up. So whether they are on your team or not, you should be able to hit them. And that's how it happens correctly most of the time

In multiplayer, some players just become not collidable with hits. Arrows go through, bullets go through, and melee swings go right through them as if they are ghosts. If you ask the player to rejoin the game, they become normal and get hit. Even if the player is indestructible, they do get the hits collide and GFX shows up. In this case, players just completely become like a ghost and nothing connects.

If you would like to get the scenario of my new game, you can contact me on Discord.

Edited by Jimin Park

10 replies to this bug / suggestion

Have you team damage deactivated / activated on both teams?

6 minutes ago, bures.peter said:

Have you team damage deactivated / activated on both teams?

They are set correctly. Everything works fine for most players. This bug only happens occasionally. Not too rarily. After many testing I found out it only happens with the character that holds rifle. When you equip the rifle and click really fast, sometimes you are infinitely shooting without consuming the bullets. When this happens, the character does not collide well. I have welded walls in the game and this character than just walks right through them.

Edited by Jimin Park

I found out the reason why. If you see the below image, I scripted so that created gun is immediately equipped.

But that runs into the bug. If you just simply spawn the weapon into the player character and don't equip it immediately, game will equip it for you and everything is fine.

This was a really tricky bug. Ylands team please fix this so even if people immediately equip it, it should be ok.

image.thumb.png.fb3b84e59517d4bcc636211692ba70d5.png

Ok, above solution solved it for almost all cases but it seems like if I repetitively clicking musket gun the bug happens again. (Which leads me to think above solution could be a false positive, so please verify)

Basically musket gun is supposed to fire only 1 at a time. But when I repetitively fire it after death and respawn, it started firing many times without consuming the ammunition. And then after that I went into ghost mode (no collision) bug again.

Rifles (musket and repetitive firing ones) seem to be very flaky. Please make it more robust without these game breaking bugs.

Edited by Jimin Park

I can confirm that if I just continuously keep clicking on the left mouse, gun eventually goes into the bugged state as mentioned above.

I decided to keep the guns out of my mini game for now.

Hmm, I've never heard of a bug like that and I haven't had any issues, or I just didn't paid much attention. 

@Adam Snellgrovecheck this out ?

@Adam Snellgrove After days and weeks of trial and error back tracking everything I am doing in the script, I finally found the solution that greatly decreases the chance of getting this bug.

So in my game I have spawning zones where players are caged in with "DOUBLE SIDED IMPASSABLE BARRIER".

This game breaking problem happens when you repeatedly click the gun to shoot the wall of the barrier while being inside of it.

If you do this, repeatedly clicking gun non-stop will cause the bug and this bugged player becomes unkillable and goes through walls as if the collider on him doesn't exist at all.

I am not 100% sure but this is based on my experiments. This could be a false positive as well. But it reduced the chance of getting the bug so much that

now I have decided to add the Gunner character back into my game.

Edited by Jimin Park

We'd really need the output logs again for this one, when it happens. We'll try and recreate it ourselves and maybe get lucky, but it'd help a lot.

For other's reference. Below video shows how the bug happens. I attached the client output logs here and also sending my scenario privately to @Adam Snellgrove.

Looks like there is clearly some NullReferenceException happening when gun is trying to do ray cast underneath according to the log.

Gunner_no_collider_bug.zip

Thank you so much for the video and all the info. I am sending it to QA and they'll pour over it hopefully tomorrow (and see what's wrong).