Adam Snellgrove

Dev Diary #131 - Water Editing

Hey there Ylanders! 

So Update Watery Water is coming ever closer and yet we haven’t talked about the water too much yet. Well that’s about to change! We have some really cool new features coming into 1.3 that’ll let you really explore your creativity with our liquid friend. So first thing’s first, there is a new tool next to the terraforming tools, which will let you add water blocks. Now, these you can then extend and expand to your heart's desire, as long as they’re not too close to the sea (we don’t want that saltwater mixing up with the freshwater ?). Now this water works the same as seawater, you can swim in it, float in it, even put ships in it!  

image (35).pngimage (36).pngimage (37).pngimage (38).png

You can also envelop the water in a specific type of terrain, so it makes a kind of pool, which is pretty neat, and also it will make sure there isn’t a box of water floating somewhere in space. And while we are still working on possibilities to make water flow (since mobile devices still aren’t powerful enough to render anything like that), the water now makes countless possibilities...well possible, like the pictures below ? I can already see Ship Parkour, where you have to sail and jump from one “Water Tile” to the next ? 

image (34).pngimage (33).png

Finally, there is also a possibility now in the Editor to regenerate water, so while you are in the Editor and digging near the sea, you can simply press this button and the sea will regenerate to compensate for the loss of land. We are also working on this happening in the game in real-time, but that will be for another update sometime down the line. 

Watery Fun 1.gif

And that’s it for now Ylanders, so until next time, stay classy and safe! 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

34 minutes ago, bojo2736 said:

Can we make pools and water features?

Hi, I'm Joshua. I'm learning YLANDS. I'm exploring the game. How do I get survival on Ylands on mobile? I can find Survival on PC.

On 6/6/2020 at 8:12 PM, jrgreenshields2010 said:

Hi, I'm Joshua. I'm learning YLANDS. I'm exploring the game. How do I get survival on Ylands on mobile? I can find Survival on PC.

Hey Joshua ? Survival is not available on Mobiles, since it is too demanding. If you ever have any questions, don't hesitate to ask ? 

On 6/6/2020 at 7:37 PM, bojo2736 said:

Can we make pools and water features?

You can make pools, but not quite sure what you mean by water features. Fountains won't be possible, but still water yes.

One question, will water be exclusively terrain or can it also be an object?  As in, can a composition include water?  I am thinking something along the lines of a pen with water for penguins, similar to what one might see in a zoo.

4 hours ago, belrathius said:

One question, will water be exclusively terrain or can it also be an object?  As in, can a composition include water?  I am thinking something along the lines of a pen with water for penguins, similar to what one might see in a zoo.

Not currently but we can look into it ? Could be interesting ?

11 hours ago, Adam Snellgrove said:

Not currently but we can look into it ? Could be interesting ?

In my opinion, the simplest approach is simply to use blocks (standard shapes and sizes) that have a seamless water texture and have a modified collision - meaning entities can enter its space but the collision is detected (allowing for things like splash sounds to be attached, etc when breaking the surface) similar to a barrier area or some such.  Just a thought.

• Like 1