Igor Q.

2 Handy Features for Exploration Mode

Question

Hello

I would like to suggest 2 Quality of Life additions, that would help casual players (especially those that are playing on mobile phones)

1) Auto Pick Up Nearby Objects.
I think it would be nice to be able to right-click and hold to auto-pick up all objects around you while you walk (assuming you have the inventory space)

This would be useful when you want to pick up lots of grass, stone, logs, etc.

Ex:image.thumb.png.8859a2002a6f067d006a32f1826e9a22.png

2) A slot for breaking objects.

Right now it's not very intuitive to break objects by having to click on the eye icon just to do it. It would be much easier to just have a slot on the left side where you can click drag items from the inventory to destroy them.
image.thumb.png.cb1c25acfd0e7e27bb5cd89fd51644b9.png

• Upvote 2

11 replies to this bug / suggestion

On 6/27/2020 at 8:55 PM, Igor Q. said:

1) Auto Pick Up Nearby Objects.

We have talked about this with the designers and they thought about it before, but dismissed it. There's quite a lot lying around in Ylands and the player would be receiving loads of stuff he didn't want/didn't know was there. 

On 6/27/2020 at 8:55 PM, Igor Q. said:

2) A slot for breaking objects.

That's a good idea. I'll ask about it.

25 minutes ago, Adam Snellgrove said:

We have talked about this with the designers and they thought about it before, but dismissed it. There's quite a lot lying around in Ylands and the player would be receiving loads of stuff he didn't want/didn't know was there.

What if you had to turn it on, meaning it was a choice, and the range was fairly small (same as the right-click range or so).  Furthermore, the dialog box to confirm turning it on also let you pick 3-4 items that it would work with, which would also mean that it wouldn't work with anything else.  This would limit it to things that you expected (like when chopping down trees) but wouldn't include things that were unexpected.  This would also allow you to carefully harvest specific plants while avoiding other stuff, which can be a problem with the current method.  If you wanted it to work with everything, it would take far more time and effort because the player would have to keep going over the same area with different items selected to pick up, but it would definitely reduce the grinding element (not remove, but at least reduce).  It would also make mining somewhat less tedious as well as make it easier to get materials that pop up (e.g. logs and sticks) in difficult to reach areas.

Overall, the auto-pick up feature would be good, and hopefully the ideas above address the developers' concerns.

A possible alternative to the auto-pick, could be something similar to a feature in a certain other popular survival game:  Holding down a key (shift or ctrl, something like that) and double-clicking an item attempts to auto-pick any of that item type within range.  It wouldn't just scoop up everything around the player, but could be used to pick up a single thing in bulk, saving clicks.  And I expect it is something that could be implemented in picking from the environment, or using the inventory screen.  Just a thought.

4 minutes ago, Indomitus said:

A possible alternative to the auto-pick, could be something similar to a feature in a certain other popular survival game:  Holding down a key (shift or ctrl, something like that) and double-clicking an item attempts to auto-pick any of that item type within range.  It wouldn't just scoop up everything around the player, but could be used to pick up a single thing in bulk, saving clicks.  And I expect it is something that could be implemented in picking from the environment, or using the inventory screen.  Just a thought.

That does sound pretty good ? I'll talk to @Aleš Ulm about it ?

Tbh I wouldn't mind auto picking up everything. Worst case scenario I just throw stacks of grass on the floor, but atleast I won't get arthritis 5 years sooner! ?

6 hours ago, Indomitus said:

That could be an issue with pickable decorations, though.

It's intended use would be to mass pick up objects laying on the floor around the world, not to be used indoors

If it's fully automatic, there's no distinction (from the game's perspective) except pickable or unpickable.  There has to be a manual trigger of some kind.

Edited by Indomitus

3 hours ago, Indomitus said:

If it's fully automatic, there's no distinction (from the game's perspective) except pickable or unpickable.  There has to be a manual trigger of some kind.

That's the intended mechanic. To be able to turn on/off an ability to auto pick up objects nearby.

So, if you have the hability to turn it on/off how it is different to hold down + key? Like Indomitus said, if you forget to disable it, the second you enter your house, you will auto pick ornaments. 

People are still waiting for items to be unpickable inside protection barrier, but still holding down a key would be a better option.