kimbuck

My experience so far.....

I have been lurking and playing  Ylands..and  \sadly  its  becoming   too repetitive......  the  updates  are  novel  but  don't  do much really 

So theres an Update... you go in and the maps  look the  same ... same   islands, same places ,   and you know where the resources  are... and you don't  need a lag inducing boat .. just swim or  make a raft.

Head for the   island  you  know  where there will be iron...  find it and   take the lot ...     if someones  beat to you to it  then the  games useless,  you cannot   progress,  so log out until  next time there's an update and  a new start.

Hide  any surplus  iron  you cannot   carry   and then  head to the  biome  you know where there is  coal ...     get there,  set up a base, plunder all the coal and therefore  stop any other players progress.   Go back and  collect  your  surplus  hidden iron, and then make the necessary work stations and tools etc   to lock things up and  fight off  predators.

Make an  upper deck  boat,  fit   two baskets  and  travel to the other  islands  you  know that have   other resources ...  again, plunder the lot .

Come  back to base,  pretty it  up ..and  then  the  games  virtually  finished  until the next update, when  you start again,  rinse and repeat.

Of  course, there are now  undersea  mysteries  and   npc's  and  other  things,  but  as you have  succeeded in making the multiplayer  game  unplayable  for others, you have  the   entire  world  to yourself ..others  wont  bother to   come  in, unless to grief.

So  that's about it .  Of  course  if you are a creator   there's the  editor ...  but  not  everyone  wants   that.  And  what are you creating  for?

Bring back the  many islands randomly placed, the  birds to watch to navigate ...also the random  caves ... the current ones  are  predictable in design and whats in them and  where.

Ride-able    animals? ...  they be .   novelties ..etc ... but  wheres the  game heading?

And as far as  mini  games  go ,  that's  not what i downloaded  ylands  to play .. you can  get  similar  stuff on other  app  sites..

Ahhhh well ...  I  will watch and  hope ..

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Hey @kimbuck
I'm making a small mod that there is a small chance when killing a monster/mutant/animal, that a map will be dropped that will lead the player to a hidden treasure chest. Does that sound something fun for you?

If you have any fun idea's of things you'd want in the game let me know. Maybe, a way to hire monsters to fight for you or something? ?

Ty Igor ...  but the point i am trying to make is that the  game  has  changed form the original ..its  no  longer  explore, but  exploit.  You know before the start where things  will be  and the smarter players will  tie  up all the  essential resources  effectively  making  play  by  late arrivals   useless because they cannot  get resources to  advance.

You know  where the islands   will be and what  will be on them

The  caves are no longer mysterious... like the original, but  now  much the same.

Theres  no  adventure in sailing ...  just now there  are underwater   treasures...  but   useless if others  beat you to them

You cannot   advance without  certain  resources ..on my current mp game there were no carrots!  so  i couldn't  fashion  horse bait .  Another player  said they found them in an underwater  wreck -  oh really?

Basically   the  game  is  getting  too much same-ness ..islands the  same .. npc's  the  same .... ores the same places ...    its  no longer explore. And  now  we going to get ...banana   and  corn  guns?   (sighe)   my excitement  cannot be  contained ...  i rather have a  functional   explore  MP  game.

A new player in MP games   with no experience  will soon  give up ...i see many of  my former  Friends  in Ylands already  have.

Please  ..bring back the  random-ness  and  adventure  that it used to have.

• Upvote 2

Well as I mentioned before, we are working on expanding the Exploration experience later this year and that will be Epic, but Ylands will never be a MP MMO type game and it won't be balanced for loads of players going in and "exploiting" the system. Ylands is designed for SP play or with your friends, where you work together to Explore and Build, not loot what you can and get away before anyone else finds it. 
Maybe try getting a group of liked minded folk (I find 4 people per Exploration map is best ?and start your own Exploration map? 

And of course the expansion of Exploration will be exciting, so look out for that ? 

10 hours ago, Adam Snellgrove said:

Well as I mentioned before, we are working on expanding the Exploration experience later this year and that will be Epic, but Ylands will never be a MP MMO type game and it won't be balanced for loads of players going in and "exploiting" the system. Ylands is designed for SP play or with your friends, where you work together to Explore and Build, not loot what you can and get away before anyone else finds it. 
Maybe try getting a group of liked minded folk (I find 4 people per Exploration map is best ?and start your own Exploration map? 

And of course the expansion of Exploration will be exciting, so look out for that ? 

Well said, I think keep letting people know this plan and they will understand your vision with the game :D

13 hours ago, kimbuck said:

Ty Igor ...  but the point i am trying to make is that the  game  has  changed form the original ..its  no  longer  explore, but  exploit.  You know before the start where things  will be  and the smarter players will  tie  up all the  essential resources  effectively  making  play  by  late arrivals   useless because they cannot  get resources to  advance.

You know  where the islands   will be and what  will be on them

The  caves are no longer mysterious... like the original, but  now  much the same.

Theres  no  adventure in sailing ...  just now there  are underwater   treasures...  but   useless if others  beat you to them

You cannot   advance without  certain  resources ..on my current mp game there were no carrots!  so  i couldn't  fashion  horse bait .  Another player  said they found them in an underwater  wreck -  oh really?

Basically   the  game  is  getting  too much same-ness ..islands the  same .. npc's  the  same .... ores the same places ...    its  no longer explore. And  now  we going to get ...banana   and  corn  guns?   (sighe)   my excitement  cannot be  contained ...  i rather have a  functional   explore  MP  game.

A new player in MP games   with no experience  will soon  give up ...i see many of  my former  Friends  in Ylands already  have.

Please  ..bring back the  random-ness  and  adventure  that it used to have.

I don't think they are turned to fix this due to explore being for 4 people. However, I will keep trying to make explore much more playable with the help of people like @Igor Q.. We are working on the multi-island system now. 

10 hours ago, Adam Snellgrove said:

This might sound crazy, but is there anyway to develop a way to "reroll" the seed of a island server and start it anew?

For example, let's say you have a "home island" where everyone can relax together and multiple instance games that are connected to it. But let's say the other instanced games/islands are buggy, is there a way to reroll the server info such as have a new island and wipe all old information?

It could be a great way to "debug" server issues.

Edited by Igor Q.