Jeff Vaughn

RESOLVED [YLD-25420] Fix destroying (any) blocks process...

Question

I was working on my ship and went to break, of all things, a "bamboo" block.....after 50+ hits, with an axe and hammer i gave up.

Demolition hammer....makes my guy shake his head at me. The one thing that should do this, is completely useless. 

Why was this issue not fixed.....on day TWO? I mean, this issue should not "exist", at all, even accidentally. Bambo, maybe 3 - 7 hits and it should be destroyed.

I love this game but these are problems that should have been LONG ago solved.

For the most part, this game is great....but this....a nightmare. And i was in the build mode where the ship was only to be built or removing parts on.

17 replies to this bug / suggestion

G'day mate, best way around this is to build inside your personal barrier. That the demo hammer will remove any brick with one swing.

When you make a ship, all blocks weld together to make one big entity. This is so when you get shot at with cannons, it takes away from the total HP instead of just the one place, so when you hit your bamboo part, you are actually dealing damage to the whole ship, not just the bamboo part. 

If you want to get rid of a single block, you have to unweld the ship (which is possible from the helm) and whack it. Also, a Demolition Hammer is only usable in a protective barrier.

We are planning though to make this system much more intuitive in the future, so look out ? 

11 hours ago, Adam Snellgrove said:

When you make a ship, all blocks weld together to make one big entity. This is so when you get shot at with cannons, it takes away from the total HP instead of just the one place, so when you hit your bamboo part, you are actually dealing damage to the whole ship, not just the bamboo part. 

If you want to get rid of a single block, you have to unweld the ship (which is possible from the helm) and whack it. Also, a Demolition Hammer is only usable in a protective barrier.

We are planning though to make this system much more intuitive in the future, so look out ? 

But, several versions ago, i could remove individual pieces. 

The whole ships shouldn't be 1 big piece (when editing) . This causes way way WAY too much frustration.

Wait, what is "unwelding"? I don't recognize that term. I know what disassembling is. I read about "welding" and it always mentions maps through Google.

You have to understand, i just reloaded this game. I had it back when the game played differently. 

I am really hoping, also, to "repair" and inhabit underwater bases and have more encounters.

11 hours ago, Indian Chief said:

G'day mate, best way around this is to build inside your personal barrier. That the demo hammer will remove any brick with one swing.

I have never used the barrier because i think it was broken (when the game started) last time i played.

Edited by Jeff Vaughn

19 hours ago, Adam Snellgrove said:

BTW i tried putting the barrier online, with the ship disassembled, and.....doesn't work...Oh, it gives the option to deconstruct but, after a few swings, the guy just shakes his head.

I really hope you fix it because it's making me want to table the game. Generally, when i table a game, i don't pick it back up for 3-6 months (just a realistic habit to give games time to evolve)

With the ship disassembled, even with the barrier online, and the hammer doesn't work.....that's a "bug". Basically, with 1 piece of bamboo being measured as part of the "whole" ship's make....it's a bad idea. You were talking about hitting it with cannon balls....shouldn't it just destroy what it hits (the one area). I mean the option to "repair" the foundation of the ship....yeah, i understand "that" as a whole but the stuff you add on.....makes no sense and makes the game annoying for the person playing it.

Technically, i can remove other things (like the helm) but the block won't come off.....? That's a bug when the demolition hammer will work on one object but another object, less than an inch away, it doesn't work on......a bug.

But, this is something that should be fixed "asap" and really not "in the near future".

Edited by Jeff Vaughn

Could you please send us the .ylandsgame file, where this ship is, so we can check it out and find out, what's going wrong?

5 hours ago, Adam Snellgrove said:

Could you please send us the .ylandsgame file, where this ship is, so we can check it out and find out, what's going wrong?

As far as I understand Jeff talk about same problem what I've asked you in discord 9 days ago. 

image.thumb.png.09c13456f307d176fc53790364dcfff3.png

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Adam Snellgrove said:

Okay, i've dropped in the log files.

As for location of the ship, it's parked on the corner of the central island no more than a few feet from the NE corner and i put the barrier down and activated it there to try what everyone said. The barrier must cover the ship because the hammer gave me the option to remove the block.

output_log.txtoutput_log_clean.txt

2 hours ago, Keranara said:

As far as I understand Jeff talk about same problem what I've asked you in discord 9 days ago. 

image.thumb.png.09c13456f307d176fc53790364dcfff3.png

Hi there....I don't use Discord so it's not even remotely possible you and i have talked there. I'm afraid you have me mixed up with someone else.

Edited by Jeff Vaughn

1 hour ago, Jeff Vaughn said:

Hi there....I don't use Discord so it's not even remotely possible you and i have talked there. I'm afraid you have me mixed up with someone else. 

Read my my message again please:) I didn't message to you, I mentioned only your problem, my message was for Adam.

I also ask you to note to the fact that you were asked to provide a game save file, not log file;)

Edited by Keranara

14 minutes ago, Keranara said:

Read my my message again please:) I didn't message to you, I mentioned only your problem, my message was for Adam.

I also ask you to note to the fact that you were asked to provide a game save file, not log file;)

Perhaps it's your wording then. "As far as I understand Jeff " seems as if you are speaking directly to me. As far as the files go, i don't know enough about this game as to where to "find" the mentioned files if it's not the logs...i don't code the game nor do i have knowledge of where the save game file resides so, until someone helps me locate it....i can't provide it.

Edited by Jeff Vaughn

1 hour ago, Jeff Vaughn said:

i don't code the game nor do i have knowledge of where the save game file resides so, until someone helps me locate it....i can't provide it.

\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\YOURSTEAMID\298610\remote\SaveGames

7 minutes ago, Heidenlarm said:

\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\YOURSTEAMID\298610\remote\SaveGames

Thanks for that. Now we can move ahead. I appreciate the direct response.

Adam, here's the file you asked for. Yeah, i know, i named it after a RUSH album :)

THE TEMPLE OF SYRINX.rar

12 hours ago, Jeff Vaughn said:

Thanks for that. Now we can move ahead. I appreciate the direct response.

Adam, here's the file you asked for. Yeah, i know, i named it after a RUSH album :)

THE TEMPLE OF SYRINX.rar

Nice ? Thank you for the files, we'll look into it.

So the map you sent is a VERY old map and according to the logs, you are still running version 0.11 from last year February I believe. We can't really find out from that if what is wrong is because of just unsupported and long eradicated bugs or something, that could be relevant to the live version. @Keranara does this same thing happen to you on the current version of the game? If so, we really would need the map and output_logs from the current version where this is happening...

On 7/16/2020 at 12:20 PM, Adam Snellgrove said:

So the map you sent is a VERY old map and according to the logs, you are still running version 0.11 from last year February I believe. We can't really find out from that if what is wrong is because of just unsupported and long eradicated bugs or something, that could be relevant to the live version. @Keranara does this same thing happen to you on the current version of the game? If so, we really would need the map and output_logs from the current version where this is happening...

It was before last update. I'll check it on current version and on new map also. Thank you.

Updated: On map from oldest version problem same like was before.
On new map part of this problem possible is disappeared  but some blocks (for example in this my game it was: ship hull  aft and ship hull fore) is still get indestructible option after ship leave the protective barrier area.

output_log.txt

SHADY GODFATHERZONE.zip

Edited by Keranara

On 7/16/2020 at 12:20 PM, Adam Snellgrove said:

Adam, it's global problem. Appears not only in exploration mode. Created a blank map, created a river, gave the character a broken shield generator and cube. In the testing mode, the map assembled the barrier, assembled the ship. I waited for the blocks to harden, left the protective field, drove back and the blocks cannot be destroyed. (checked on the ship hull aft and the ship hull fore; after that all blocks have indestructibility)

Edited by Heidenlarm

On 7/17/2020 at 8:55 AM, Keranara said:

It was before last update. I'll check it on current version and on new map also. Thank you.

Updated: On map from oldest version problem same like was before.
On new map part of this problem possible is disappeared  but some blocks (for example in this my game it was: ship hull  aft and ship hull fore) is still get indestructible option after ship leave the protective barrier area.

output_log.txt

SHADY GODFATHERZONE.zip

Thank you for the info ?

On 7/17/2020 at 1:06 PM, Heidenlarm said:

Adam, it's global problem. Appears not only in exploration mode. Created a blank map, created a river, gave the character a broken shield generator and cube. In the testing mode, the map assembled the barrier, assembled the ship. I waited for the blocks to harden, left the protective field, drove back and the blocks cannot be destroyed. (checked on the ship hull aft and the ship hull fore; after that all blocks have indestructibility)

Yep, we managed to repro it and are working on a fix. Thank you ? 

• Like 1