Adam Snellgrove

Dev Diary #137 - Future Editor Improvements

Hey there Ylanders!

Hope you’re enjoying your Pump-action corn guns and Pineapple grenades, but it has been some time since we told you about some news on the creating part. It might not be flashy, it might not be sexy, but a lot of creators I’m sure will find the improvements coming in update 1.4 quite exciting.

image (69).png

So first off this is a huge time saver for a lot of you out there, we have made a function to edit the pivot in a group or weld. So, this means you can always pick, where the center of the weld and group is without making overly difficult changes to your creation. This will be a great help to scripters but also to just creators, who like to make custom assets and want to have the best possible control over them when placing and rotating them.

Another neat improvement we’ll be adding is the transformation of Custom Controls into their own game logic, so you can create multiple sets of control and then switch between them on the fly in-game. This means, that you can for example, seamlessly create a cinematic sequence with an animated camera and disable controls or you can even share controls as a composition!

Also, we’ll be implementing a new database game logic, which will let you import external spreadsheet data into the game. This will come in handy especially when designing a large-scale RPG for instance or anything similar, that needs a lot of static data.

2020-07-16_11h53_33.png

We are also constantly improving visual scripting and aspects connected to it, so for instance we are working on speeding up the search panel to shave off waiting time for creators. We’re also making the terrain tools better with a few tweaks you might enjoy and we’re implementing an Advanced Script profiler, which will help you to identify, which script is especially taxing on the game.

And that’s it for now. It does sound like a lot of technical mumbo jumbo, but believe you me, that these improvements will give creators the necessary tools to create ever greater and more impressive games.

So until next time, stay classy Ylanders!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Wow, the pivot setting and the custom controls for compositions are surely a great addition. 

You rock team ?

• Like 1

Absolutely fantastic! Thanks! (custom control is best!!!) 

• Like 1

Great to hear we will finally have the option to disable controls and do more with the new features.

Does this mean we will finally get the "get aim" of the player camera yet? It's incredibly useful for custom entity controls.

The addition of a database logic is a big deal.  More impressive to me than the others here, to be honest.  The ability to manage metadata for a level, such as elaborate dialog trees for NPCs, is a very big deal.  I've been away for a while, but I'll be really interested to see what kinds of capabilities are built into that logic.

Is it purely static, or will there be ways to edit or manipulate when the game is running?  Is it only "import from spreadsheet" or can it be constructed directly in the editor?  If it's able to edit during gameplay, can it export during gameplay?  Can it export at all?

• Upvote 1

On 7/17/2020 at 2:47 AM, Igor Q. said:

Does this mean we will finally get the "get aim" of the player camera yet? It's incredibly useful for custom entity controls.

Not yet but @Rudy.cz is looking into it ? 

On 7/17/2020 at 2:59 PM, Indomitus said:

The addition of a database logic is a big deal.  More impressive to me than the others here, to be honest.  The ability to manage metadata for a level, such as elaborate dialog trees for NPCs, is a very big deal.  I've been away for a while, but I'll be really interested to see what kinds of capabilities are built into that logic.

Is it purely static, or will there be ways to edit or manipulate when the game is running?  Is it only "import from spreadsheet" or can it be constructed directly in the editor?  If it's able to edit during gameplay, can it export during gameplay?  Can it export at all?

Purely static, when data is imported, it cannot be changed once the game is running. But you can always update it by importing updated spreadsheets again