RedEagle_P1.

Ylands, this just feels too much...

Question

Ylands asks us to buy Coyns for $20 for 4800, then when people donate or purchase something in games, they take a 30% cut. Then the promised cash-back program gives you about 1/3 of the value. 

So BI takes a cut when:

1. People buy the Coyns 
  2. People donate the Coyns (15-30%) 
  3. You buy creator club membership ($10 per year)
  4. You pay to host your game on a server 
  5. Creators trade in the Coyns for money (about 66%!!!).

So if your players spend $1000 (240000 Coyns) on your game (an impossible number), you would be paid about $231. 

ice_screenshot_20200907-142522.png.8b5dbe79f9beec12c4f6bc2f464b38b6.png2020-09-07_133127.thumb.png.d3ec7dfc9ac9650cea20c1f4d71a983e.png

2020-09-07_135839.png.184969b28ff756181d73964a6a3bc288.png

Note: The fee goes down from 30% to 15% on the initial donation cut when you pay $10 per year for creator-club access. However, the about-66% cut taken on the exchange is still there. Also $1000 is below the minimum payout so you would not be able to get paid technically anyway.  

Edited by RedEagle_P1.
  • Upvote 1

15 replies to this bug / suggestion

12 hours ago, NoNoNumGum said:

it feels like you guys say that for every single update.

Nope, we had to finish up the Editor and now our hands are free(ish) to work on exploration ?

Add first person back.

We are not planning on adding 1st person in the near future, though we are working on an updated building mechanic to make building and working with stuff easier.

Make it so we can't see the islands next to us.

You'll probably be able to see other Islands (because the visibility is much higher now) but there will be more to Explore beyond that ?

• Like 1

Man, I love this game so much and I really want you guys to succeed. However, seeing the game in its current condition with its current limitations I could not imagine a world in which any creator could break even in this program. 

The issues are: 

1) The game is still really buggy: 

Example: I reported a bug where players lose all their progress/creators with steam sync years ago and it remains to this day. This bug goes back and deletes all your work after its saved. It's devastating for new creators. 

Example: Explore players lose progress often, are limited to a small area, encounter hundreds of game-breaking bugs like not being able to eat. 

2) People only pay for items in games where keeping your progress is possible. Such games require servers. Servers have an 8 player limit and crash almost constantly. They are also quite expensive. 

3) The game does not have many players so even if every player in the game played your game you would be very unlikely to reach the 250,000 Coyn minimum. 

Why not consider making the ratio relative to the value Ylands provides in the current state and then changing it once the game reaches the level you would like it to?

Edited by RedEagle_P1.

oof that conversion rate... I can kinda see why having your guaranteed profit from coyns be so high might seem like a good idea but having awesome blueprints, costumes, and pets that convince players to flat out give you their coyns is a much better strategy. (mainly blueprints for my coyn ?)

When thinking about profit from communities it's probably better to think in terms of volume. You can have low fees because if the game has a positive environment for communities to grow the profit margin will grow with them, but if your fees strangle communities to where they can't sustain themselves they will shrink and the profit with them.

That said I can certainly see why fixing this would't be a priority at the moment. While I imagine it is the games primary income. With the amount of issues occurring, getting things stable is certainly more important. It is quite absurd however, and should probably be put relatively high up on the priorities list

This, of course, is a test run for the Creator's Commission, but we have analysed the market and made sure we are more generous to our Creators, then any of our competitors. If you, for instance, compare the rates to Roblox, you'll see, that ours aren't bad at all ? But of course in the future, we are still open to change and never do we want these conditions to get worse, only better ?

Of course, you also have to take into consideration, how much out of the Coyns sales BI actually gets after cuts from different stores (Steam, Microsoft) and taxes, which impacts severely how much we can give back from this, but it wouldn't be proper to discuss numbers here ?

• Haha 1

So 1st I would like to say I don't understand why this game keeps getting compared to Roblox. They seem nothing alike, and Roblox is an old game that looks terrible.

that said this is their current conversion rate $.0035/R$ (which comes out to $350 USD for 100,000 Robux) found here https://www.roblox.com/developer-exchange/help which I can clearly see is more than double the conversion rate for coyn

As far as steam and microsofts part in it, why not just sell the coyn straight from YLands website? do they demand a cut anyway?(if so that's super bad of them)

Edited by JohnMFSteel

The relative difference is Ylands is a totally unestablished game vs Roblox which is huge. (Don't misunderstand me when I say) creators are doing you a favor being here atm, not vice versa. One day, Ylands will be an amazing platform with great working servers and it will be our privilege to be here. However, right now no one can break even at that rate. 

16 hours ago, JohnMFSteel said:

that said this is their current conversion rate $.0035/R$ (which comes out to $350 USD for 100,000 Robux) found here https://www.roblox.com/developer-exchange/help which I can clearly see is more than double the conversion rate for coyn

But that's because Coyns are cheaper. But if you compare how much you "get back" for 20 EUR (or 23,54 USD) when you buy Coyns or Robux, with Coyns it is 8.47 USD and with Robux it's 6.59 USD. If you extrapolate that to a 1223 USD (which is roughly what 250,000 Coyns cost), with Roblox you get 342 USD while with Ylands you get 375 USD so you're already 33 USD better off ? (+ Creators Club members get a greater cut of Coyns than Roblox Creators ?)

But regardless of the math (and since it is me counting, it could be horribly wrong), this is the best we can do under the circumstances and we always try to be able to make the conditions better in the future rather than worse. The way it is set up now is manageable and self-sufficient for us. 

BUT that doesn't mean we won't be supporting our Creators in other ways and growing the community. With the series of competitions we are planning to start off very soon we'll be offering substantial monetary prizes to further reward our ingenious creators and lure in even more talent to make Ylands a vibrant community of Creators and Players and soon reaching 250,000 Coyns will be easy peasy lemon squeezy ?

We are also planning on making the selling of Blueprints available to Creators in the future, which would secure another source of Coyns income even for those, who are not interested in making whole scripted games, but just want to make a cool ship or a house. And since Exploration will get a total reworking to make it great and fun, blueprints will be in high demand ? So a lot to look forward to ? And if we see the economy isn't working or there are loads of people who aren't able to reach the 250,000 Coyns benchmark even after the influx of players and creators during the competitions, you can be sure we will revisit it, so as many talented people as possible get rewarded ?

• Thanks 1

I see what you mean okay so I did a bit of math myself and if I did it right the value you get back per coyn is about 36% and per Robux you get back is a little under 29% 
1 Robux Value(cost) = 0.0118(USD), 1 Coyn Value(cost) = 0.0042(USD)  (numbers & percentages are rounded) (this is not including any local sales tax you might have to pay)

on a separate note since you mention creators hopefully getting to sell blueprints it would be nice if we could make special blueprints that involve some animation cause that functional granary that Mello made would be so amazing as a blueprint

Edited by JohnMFSteel
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, JohnMFSteel said:

I see what you mean okay so I did a bit of math myself and if I did it right the value you get back per coyn is about 36% and per Robux you get back is a little under 29% 
1 Robux Value(cost) = 0.0118(USD), 1 Coyn Value(cost) = 0.0042(USD)  (numbers & percentages are rounded) (this is not including any local sales tax you might have to pay)

on a separate note since you mention creators hopefully getting to sell blueprints it would be nice if we could make special blueprints that involve some animation cause that functional granary that Mello made would be so amazing as a blueprint

That would be pretty rad ? I'll ask, if that would be possible, though I think that is more the preview of Compositions.

On 9/9/2020 at 11:16 AM, Adam Snellgrove said:

But that's because Coyns are cheaper. But if you compare how much you "get back" for 20 EUR (or 23,54 USD) when you buy Coyns or Robux, with Coyns it is 8.47 USD and with Robux it's 6.59 USD. If you extrapolate that to a 1223 USD (which is roughly what 250,000 Coyns cost), with Roblox you get 342 USD while with Ylands you get 375 USD so you're already 33 USD better off ? (+ Creators Club members get a greater cut of Coyns than Roblox Creators ?)

But regardless of the math (and since it is me counting, it could be horribly wrong), this is the best we can do under the circumstances and we always try to be able to make the conditions better in the future rather than worse. The way it is set up now is manageable and self-sufficient for us. 

BUT that doesn't mean we won't be supporting our Creators in other ways and growing the community. With the series of competitions we are planning to start off very soon we'll be offering substantial monetary prizes to further reward our ingenious creators and lure in even more talent to make Ylands a vibrant community of Creators and Players and soon reaching 250,000 Coyns will be easy peasy lemon squeezy ?

We are also planning on making the selling of Blueprints available to Creators in the future, which would secure another source of Coyns income even for those, who are not interested in making whole scripted games, but just want to make a cool ship or a house. And since Exploration will get a total reworking to make it great and fun, blueprints will be in high demand ? So a lot to look forward to ? And if we see the economy isn't working or there are loads of people who aren't able to reach the 250,000 Coyns benchmark even after the influx of players and creators during the competitions, you can be sure we will revisit it, so as many talented people as possible get rewarded ?

How about you guys not make another roblox and make your own game. Now you may argue that this game has exploration. What exploration? I don't see any exploration anywhere? I take that back. I see it. In fact I see too much. I can see islands that should be farther away. I can explore the whole ylands map in 2 minutes. You guys must look at what your community is saying. One of your most respected players in the community is even trying to tell you guys to listen. And what do you guys do? You make excuses. Please don't make excuses. Please make your own game that has exploration and creator features. But as I have said before, you guys have tried to mix Minecraft, Roblox, and Ark Survival Evolved into one game. Now tell me please. What happens when you mix too many colors? You get brown. At this rate that you guys are making this game, you have made poop. You have mixed too many games and are on the brim of your last few supporters urging you to step it up and listen to your community. I don't know what else to say than to listen to your community. Stay classy and good luck :(

On 9/12/2020 at 3:43 AM, NoNoNumGum said:

Please make your own game that has exploration and creator features.

This is our goal and we are working towards it. We have finalised the Creator Aspect of the game and gonna have a string of competitions to celebrate it and now it is time to double down on Exploration ?

• Like 1

On 9/14/2020 at 5:08 AM, Adam Snellgrove said:

This is our goal and we are working towards it. We have finalised the Creator Aspect of the game and gonna have a string of competitions to celebrate it and now it is time to double down on Exploration ?

I really wanna believe that but it feels like you guys say that for every single update. Please keep to your word and do this. Not only add onto exploration but fix it please.

Add first person back. Make it so we can't see the islands next to us. Just fix the issues before you start updating it. stay classy :(

I know whoever made this decision up there was trying to be generous because these numbers are better than what's out there but you have to realize that 240,000 coins is more than every creator gets combined in a year. This basically means that it's impossible to ever generate any funds on this game in the next 5 years as a creator. 

Edited by RedEagle_P1.