Laiiix

GUI Overhaul

Question

Now that ylands is seeing a return in focus to exploration, which I am stoked to see, I believe that this game will be back very soon to it's fun survival-type roots. But I really would like another GUI overhaul, as right now it can be pretty confusing. The inventory space should take up less room in my opinion, with a transparent background, sort of what like minecraft would have. The original inventory menu in the alpha version was far from perfect but I sort of prefer the minimalistic and simple design a lot more than the new giant inventory menu. The 'landing page' or the main menu should also get a redesign to be a lot simpler. When you look at most successful games, they almost ALWAYS have a simple and intuitive menu which this current one is no where near both. Simplicity is key, and minimalism is also very important when designing an intuitive menu. The buttons are rather large and they seem kind of out of order which really confuses me. The bright colors are nice, but every time I boot up Ylands I get sensory overload because there is just too much on the screen. In the case of GUI's, less is always better.

• Upvote 1

1 reply to this bug / suggestion

14 hours ago, Laiiix said:

Now that ylands is seeing a return in focus to exploration, which I am stoked to see, I believe that this game will be back very soon to it's fun survival-type roots. But I really would like another GUI overhaul, as right now it can be pretty confusing. The inventory space should take up less room in my opinion, with a transparent background, sort of what like minecraft would have. The original inventory menu in the alpha version was far from perfect but I sort of prefer the minimalistic and simple design a lot more than the new giant inventory menu. The 'landing page' or the main menu should also get a redesign to be a lot simpler. When you look at most successful games, they almost ALWAYS have a simple and intuitive menu which this current one is no where near both. Simplicity is key, and minimalism is also very important when designing an intuitive menu. The buttons are rather large and they seem kind of out of order which really confuses me. The bright colors are nice, but every time I boot up Ylands I get sensory overload because there is just too much on the screen. In the case of GUI's, less is always better.

We are looking into ways of making the Inventory more customisable ?
With the menu we do not have any plans to redo it any time soon but that may change over time.