Cernu

Rigale, a highly interactive randomized world

Hi all, I am creating Rigale, a highly randomized; custom skill based world. This is a wip, as I am learning the tools.

CREDITS:

Ocnoglittle

Yaël , for the coloring rabbits idea ?

Azaren, for the kind and helpfull replies to my editor issues.

I am looking for multiplayer feedback : do multiplayer have different skill values ? This information is quite important, thanks.

Edited by Cernu
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Features

- Randomized world: objects randomly spawn.

- loads of skills. Almost all world interactions are tied to a skill.

- Randomized items: almost all items you craft are tied to you crafting success.

- Level and attributes. Gaining a level allows you to increase your attributes, that will give various bonus in skill tests, hit points, learning, and so on.

Stamina and exhaustion:

stamina is reduced when you do some actions. If it is reduced to much, you will drastically slow down. If you don't moxe at all, you will recover faster.

Exhaustion represents tiredness. It increases all the time, until you are utterly exhausted. The only way to recover it is through sleeping. increase id faster at night, when your stamina is low, and when you perform some skills, and depending on skill result ( a strength based skill critical failure will increase exhaustion a lot, and a critical success intelligence based skill will almost not increase exhaustion.)

Edited by Cernu
  • Like 1

changelog

- V0.1: some basic systems implemented.

random skill results; random objects spawn in the world; basic crafting; basic trading.

11 octobre 2020

colored skill test results.

added item quality to some skill checks

improved coding

trade window to sell many items.

15 octobre 2020

interaction skills progress bar

attributes and global level (almost all actions make you gain global skill level. When you reach a new level, you van distribute points among attributes. Attributes will give various bonus to skills results, learning points bonus, hit points bonus. I only implemented some attributes giving some bonus to some skills. I must refine this with a little more feedback, and expan the skills (increased constitution increase hit points, and intelligence give learning bonus, mostly)

reworked many inner systems workings

19 octobre 2020

Added tracking, scavenging, herboristery skills.

You can now scavenge some respawning boxes in the "port"

rabbits leave tracks sometimes, and some tracks appear in the forest.

gaining const points now increase Hit points.

Intelligence give bonus skill and global XP

reworked the life expectancy system for stuff, so that it is much less calcul heavy (every spawned item had a delay, now, there is one delay for all creatures, with use of arrays)

Added a basic fetch quest.

rabbits dodge. They are much harder to hit now. This is a study for a specific, attribute tied combat system, with critical success, fumbles, deteriorations, and so on... I also added a critical success possibility and weapon deterioration. Poor rabbits.

added a simple random weather system

Added a hunting teacher.

21 octobre 2020

tweaks to the existing Ylands crafting system, that will be skills based now. Moreover, you will have to learn recipes to be able to craft the items.

added grass tuft to gather from.

added wood piece and logs when lumberjacking

rabbits grow old, although this has no effect yet.

Added survival skill (mostly used in crafting), cooking, and zoology (you know, those baits...) All of this is very much rabbit centered for now, but the systems are in place for other animals...

Added stone ore. You need to identify it (using prospection skill) before mining it (using mining skill) Stone ore will give a random number of flint ans stone. Those are required to expand the crafting system.

Added a Miner, Marty, to the settlement. He will provide various mining and prospecting related services.

The various settlers will teach you basic lessons.

23 octobre 2020

fully functionnal stamina/sprint system. It only impacts movements now, I would like it to impact weapon damages in the near future... I need to tie the result to some skills checks

fully functionnal exhaustion system. exhaustion reduce success chance, XP gained. You gain exhaustion all the time, increased at night, when the player performs actions, and when stamina is low

you can rest in the tower for now.

added nests for eggs and feathers (zoology skill)

25 octobre 2020

Added random NPCs. Color is randomized, but not equipment. Still, it adds flavor ? Talk to them to see what they can do for you (randomized). 

Fixed crafting result.

Fixed a bow not showing bug.

Added miseries system. Whenever you make a critical failure skill result will add to your misery. Talk about this with NPCs to try to gain gold or experience.

Added a pick pocketing minigame. You might gain more gold than regular skill, it is less risky, more fun, but you won't develp your skill. And good pick pocketing result would give probably more gold than mini game. The gam is ultra simple: Click on icons when they appear ?

tweaked character sheet.

Added story telling skill

28 octobre 2020

NPC will much more varied appearance. Thanks Ocnoglittle ?

Combat update.

bunch of new weapon skills.

Added a new area and new ennemies. Basic "goblins" A "goblin" chief hides somewhere. Goblins use the standard rigale random spawn system. The boss has some random loot, and respawns 5 minutes after death.

added new recipes (spears mostly).

Added a medic that sells health potions.

6 november 2020

BIG system breakthrough: Items will be much easier to rigaly randomize (quality from terrible to legendary). This is specially important for crafting, and mostly looting. I can easily have a very varied list of loots drops now

Moreover, I streamlined the bonus variation system to make it less wide. and wild.

much refinments to various systems: enemies damages, random spawn, and respawnable creatures.

added a lockpickable chest. It has various loots, and resets after some time. This is the very basic system to fill my dungeons with treasures. It fully uses the randomized loot system. The variety and characteristics of items is now probably nearly infinite (within set boundaries), as not only item qualities, but also variables, are randomized).

reworked the skills window to make it much cleaner.

added a starting area

the randomized NPC will now offer to teach a randomized skill

17 november 2020

Athletism skill checks are a thing

Reworked the basic settlement to totally change rigale mood, going from a discovery of the new world theme to a stone age discovery of the world theme. This will allow me to make good use of a research/discovery system

added wolves, deers, sea weeds, crabs, a basic kowledge system, and various other stuffs.

23 Novembre 2020

Thanks to some Ocnog feedbacks, I was able to do some tweaks, and progress toward a proper MP game, that is the final goal of rigale.

Various tweaks.

I added a little tribe, the wolf tribe, an excellent hunters tribe, that is hidding behing some hills, opposite to the green goblins hills. I wasn't very inspired concerning the prerequisites to become a tribe member. Awww well.... Becoming a member will grant you various skills bonus, wolf fighting/tracking/butchering/skinning bonus, ability to talk to the tribe members, and ability to rest there. Enjoy.

25 November 2020

tweaked the wolf tribe.

Added an old wolf. It's a kind of "secret". Quest outcome will be a choice.

Wolves and deers could be hungry or wounded. It will then be possible to interact with them, try to feed or heal them

added a domestication and animal riding knowledges.

26 November 2020

corrected a few bugs

you might now recover arrows or bolts when killing stuff

deer will drop at least 1 meat when killed.

next update:

added a quest system.

Edited by Cernu
  • Like 1

To Do :

multi text log using arrays DONE

characteristics and level system DONE

expand the skill system to include characteristics and item qualities DONE

add tracking Done

add herboristery skill Done, but no herbs to identify yet. DONE

add scavenging skill. Done

add prospecting and mining. Done. Only stone ore for now

add a boss fight with random loot.

code a more streamlind dialogue with seller (for easy set up, like price of items, and so on) DONE

make tracks appear for some times when an animal disappears. DONE, for rabbits at least ^^

more skills result feedback tied to attributes. DONE

debug selling systems and iteration through inventory. DONE

add a knowledge system DONE

Now that the systems are getting closed to finish, expand the world

Add a first simple "go fetch" quest.

Add wolves

expand crafting system. Actually, I expanded the Yland current crafting system to tie it with skills.

modify combat system (use computed dodge and critical hits, mostly)

more intelligence bonus XP gained feedback

add a "various info" widget

add a lockpicking skill and some basic use

balance stuff

add a literacy system and some basic use

add some wanderers and travellers, mostly for pickpocketing purpose, and telling them your success/failure stories for some gold, if your story telling is good ^^. DONE

add a basic "wander around spawn point" AI Done Using Yland AI

Add a "story telling" system. The idea is that when you critically fail or succeed, you can go to the tavern and tell what happens, in the hope of gaining a few coins. Should be quite easy to implement, actually. Would require a "representation" skill. Kindof done because of the NPCs.

stamina feature only impacts movement, I want it to impact melee damage and ranged/melee hit chance.

exhaustion feature DONE

attack critical failure system DONE

Randomized critters. The longer they live, the older they become (aww well), and theirs stats will change accordingly (usually stronger/harder to hit/more damaging, but with better loot items) Done for rabbits, Done for rabbits.

Tavern features.

Add a "critical failure" use. At the end of the day, the player will be able to gain global XP from its critical failures, OR, tell stories about them for some gold in the inn. kindof done thanks to the NPCs

Medical skills,

herboristery for medicinal plants

potion/bandage crafting

randomized items for increased loot drops qualities

wound system.

wandering masters know a skill they can teach you for a few gold. As it is randomized, lessons will be cheap, but nos as good as more costly lessons.

I would like to use gold nuggets as a currency, along with rigale gold variable. I will add a money changer, that will turn rigale gold into gold nuggets, and gold nuggets into rigale gold. And because I think gold nuggets as a treasure is nicer than a rigale gold variable ?

agility increases ranged damages, just like strength increases melee damages. tweak bonus. DONE

add a traps system. 

Armor deterioration system. DONE

Edited by Cernu
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

V 19 oct released. I refine existing systems and bug hunt. I still don't want to expand the world to much, until I am really satisfied with the basic systems. Next big focus will be crafting (I want to use external data sheets to store recipes). But before, I need the player to be able to gathe rminerals, this is why propspecting and mining will come along. Until then, cheers, Ylanders ?

• Like 1

I dont quite understand what to do yet. Can you help me get started? 

Edited by RedEagle_P1.

For now, nothing much. Maybe just try systems. Many systems are hidden, but revolve around hunting/gathering/tracking. You can go wander around, gather some sticks to turn them to Balto, take a hunting lesson, try hunting and tracking some rabbits. Just get a feeling of the systems, maybe tell me about feedback messages, or things that might need more explanations. But it is really still a very barebone mod.

Rigale is about being a young explorer on a newly discovered continent ? 

End maybe just wander around. The feeling of expanding colony/continent/opportunities will be much greater if you follow the development from the start.

And an important thing, if you can play in multiplayer, id tell me if each player have different skills and improvments, and skills results.

44 minutes ago, Cernu said:

For now, nothing much. Maybe just try systems. Many systems are hidden, but revolve around hunting/gathering/tracking. You can go wander around, gather some sticks to turn them to Balto, take a hunting lesson, try hunting and tracking some rabbits. Just get a feeling of the systems, maybe tell me about feedback messages, or things that might need more explanations. But it is really still a very barebone mod.

Rigale is about being a young explorer on a newly discovered continent ? 

End maybe just wander around. The feeling of expanding colony/continent/opportunities will be much greater if you follow the development from the start.

And an important thing, if you can play in multiplayer, id tell me if each player have different skills and improvments, and skills results.

Hehe I think I played the old version. Now i get it :D Just played the newer one :D

Yes, my update system maybe is not that good ^^ But the "testing" should be very quick, because there is not much to do yet...

Updated to 21 oct. Some new stuff, mostly generic Yland crafting skill based, Mining and prospecting, and new settler and basic fetch quests. I must admit I didn't check the crafting system thoroughly, it might be buggy. However, the world is slowly expanding ? Next work will probably be on stamina, exhaustion, combat, refining crafting system and first ennemies, wolves. 

Edited by Cernu
  • Like 1

Updated today. I haven't started to work on combat or ennemies, but I am pretty satisfied with exhaustion and stamina. Stamina is a short term feature, that decrease when you do stuff (sprinting, defending, jumping, attacking....) Its only effect now is to reduce speed at some point, and increase exhaustion.

Exhaustion is a long term feature, that decreases over time, and when you do stuff (more with strength related skills for example, or if your stamina gets to low.) Exhaustion have a real impact on skills checks, and also lowers XP gained. You can recover stamina when sleeping.

I also added resin, birds nest (zoology based check) feather and eggs (eggs have no recipe yet)

I postpone the combat update, it will be a big one. First I want to give more life to the settlement, and add the wanderes NPC ( tell them stories, pick pocket them...) and global XP gain from failure system...

Edited by Cernu
  • Like 1

My plans for combat, because it will probably be my next big update:

my goal is to tie combat result to weapon/avoidance skills. I plan to mainly use hit chance/critical chance/dodge chance/parry chance/critical failure variables.

so when the player attacks, if he hits (damage listener), a weapon skill check is made (as per rigale check, you know, with varied outcomes) In this case, a critical failure would impair the player (damage/break weapon, weapon fall on ground, player is hurt, armor is damaged, player falls on groung...) In case of failure or near success, ennemy chance to parry or dodge would be vastly increased. And the better the player success, the lower the ennemy chance to dodge or parry, and the greater chance to inflict a critical on the enemy (a legendary success would almost certainly inflict a critical success on the enemy).

As for defense, an armed enemy would first check for parry that would, if successfull, increase parry chance. Parry would vastly reduce damage received, to the point of nullifying them, but to the detriment of weapon deterioration. Dodge would be harder, depend on armor, but a successful dodge would nullify damages at no costs (see rabbits in the current version).

Stamina would reduce damages inflicted by a percentage, and lower to hit / defense checks.

That is the basic system I would like to implement. 

I see 2 main improvements for later updates:

Ylands skills, to try to perform some maneuvers ("aim high" " sunder armor" "quick strike"......), like if your activate the skill, you will do this kind of attacks/maneuvers

a detailed wound / localisation system (a severe wound to the players leg would vastly reduce its speed, a wound to the arm would reduce skill checks ), with severe/benigne wounds, infections for not treating wounds, and so on...

I haven't dwelved very deep into what the editor can do regarding these "wishes" (especialy player falling on the ground, dropping weapons, reducing enemy speed...), but it is so powerfull already...

A wound system could be pretty cool, and maybe not that hard to code (you know, with a dedicated wound sheet, to see what body parts are wounded or not, infections, what body parts you would bandage or not, surgery required, all this sort of fun ?...)

Until then, cheers Ylanders ?

• Like 1

Updated to 28 oct 2020

Most of the described system has been implemented, except the armor stuff. And I added the first ennemies. There are a few weapons scattered in the settlement. I am looking for feedback : does the game stutter after some sleep ? 

Moreover, I added a new "area" with the new ennemies. "goblins". There is a respawning boss hidden somewhere ?

Next update will probably be about wounds, although I now have mostly everything to expand the world, and I really would like to do this, although I might postpone, waiting for the next update features that look promising.

low stamina, and damaged weapons, will decrease damages a lot. Try to go fighting with proper weapons and in good shape ?

Edited by Cernu
  • Like 1

I am looking for ideas or comments. Right now, every object the player can interact with are visible. However, It is very easy to spawn items or creatures using randomly spawned triggers. So now, the player could walk in the forest, and make a check, and if successful, discover stuff (make them visible ) My question / "concern" is should I create a skill for this (like "notice detail" skill, fo example, or use existing skills, but used mostly with perception ? Like if the player enters a trigger that could spawn a flint, he would need to succeed at a "prospection/PERCEPTION" check. Or if he enters a wounded rabbit trigger, make a "hunting/PERCEPTION check ? I will add them to the next update anyways, because I think it is so cool, but it will have some "delays" (I expect it by the end of next week).

However, it will be a big update, with complete dungeon (complete with respawning bosses and critters and loot, respawning chests, hopefully traps, and maybe a secret areas or two), big combat tweaks (damage types effects (like bleeding for slashing weapons, increased critical chance for piercing weapons, and possibly knockback or knockdown for crushing weapons), chosing a job and get some gold at spawning for some easier start, and more...

I think that you should use the perception-related skills. I am already kind of overwhelmed by that list of skills. ? Adding too many more might dilute your game. I would rather see skills that are robust than a million little skills. 

I would also like to see denser wooded areas. Maybe have lots of trees and then even more things spawn in when they pass through a trigger zone?

Keep in mind that the initial failures (x a million ?) will likely drive away some players. I liked that you added scavenge because it was a skill that you could level quickly and gave you good loot (especially food!). You might want to make a couple of your other skills ramp up quickly like this so the player doesn't just leave because they keep failing at everything.

Just my opinion. Feel free to ignore it :) 

Edited by ocnoglittle
  • Like 1

Thanks for the feedback. I think all your concerns will be alleviated soon, beside skills. I LOVE skills ? 

I will try to add a little starting area next update, where you will choose a "job" and receive your "savings" (like a "big" amount of gold). This will help starting player learn recipes and buy stuff. The "jobs" will be very simple: start with some upgraded attributes and skills. Like a Hunter will start at skill level 600 in hunting and bows, 300 in tracking and survival, spears, 5 in perception and 3 in agility, for example. A Forager would start with scavenging and gathering skill, perception and intelligence, a warrior.... You get the picture...

Maybe have lots of trees and then even more things spawn in when they pass through a trigger zone?

This a must that will come next update. But I am still undecisive as of the skill. using some specific / perception skills would make sense, but a "notice details" skill would allow me to easily expand the system, by putting a bunch of little items into an array, and having them spawn randomly. I shall see. But areas will be denser too, no issue.

I am still discovering the amazing creative power of the engine, that is perfect for my imagination and coding skill level, although would greatly benefit from QoL improvements for a heavy coder like me.

• Thanks 1

updated to 6 nov 2020.

Next I would like to try to improve and expand Athletism and swimming.

I also have in mind a very big change for Rigale, that will allow me to introduce even more new concepts.

However, I won't expand the world (in termes of size and critters) that much until the 1.5 exploration update, because some scripting improvments might be very helpfull for me.

I'm excited for the swimming. Will it make you swim faster? Or will having low swimming skill make you drown? ?

Adam has said that the update won't be until after the competition. It might be best to submit a version of your game for the competition and then continue to update it later ?
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/779318054?t=01h01m25s

Or not worry about the competition ?‍♀️?

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, ocnoglittle said:

Adam has said that the update won't be until after the competition.

That is bad news, because from what I read, there will be some very nice coding QoL features for coders. And critters or things in Rigale are quite complex as far as internal system goes, and quite time consuming to create, even if I tried to ease the process.

As for the competition, I will run sure why not, but I started Rigale before it was annouced, and will probably keep developping it after. And I really don't worry about it ? 

As for the swimming, both if I can. Athletism is already a thing for next version ? I will do swimming today, and maybe add wolves. Wolves are a must for stone age world ?

• Like 1

a little question please: what could spawn if you scavenge seashore sea weeds ? I am in the process of adding sea weeds, that will behave like ferns and grass, that is, you will be able to discover stuff when you scavenge it. I was thinking of custom crab, maybe a fish ? Any other idea ? 

NVM, seashells, sea urchins, starfish, that will do ?

Edited by Cernu