Jstuts

Creating, local export, and publishing

I am not a complete newbie to Ylands but I'm also not particularly astute on many aspects. I used to be able do a local import on a game I created in Editor, so I could play the game myself, and keep the changes as the play proceeded over many sessions. Now that doesn't seem to work anymore. So I have now published a game, but when I play it, saving is not possible. Anything I do in the game is lost when I close it. I see that in the games available in the Main Menu, some games allow saves and others do not. I saw nothing while setting up the game, or options in Editor, or options on the Ylands Creator's Cluib website (while finalizing the publishing process)  that pertain to this. Please, people, is there any way at all I can create a game for my own play and keep the changes? Otherwise I have little interest in this game. Why have they taken away a functional local export, closing off our options?

There is a setting when you make a game. The default is to NOT allow saving. You have to change that. /exportlocal is the command to get the export.  They changed a bunch of this stuff, so don't feel like it's you. Monetization made some things impossible.

Thanks, bojo2736! Although I am not sure.... I will try again to find that setting. I also noticed that the /exportlocal command gave an error report: something like "that command is not available". So I did the local export from the Editor menu after first optimizing it. But I guess you are confirming that I have to publish a game in order to play it with saves?  Any further guidance here? By the way, I have, in the past few days rediscovered just how amazing this game is!! Such a great job by the team. I just marvel at so many things I cannot list them, yet I must mention all the cool creatures, the outstanding water and weather effects, the beautiful artwork everywhere. I just love to hang out in the game.

I just looked again and found: As you are setting up the game there actually is no setting that I can find for saving. Once it is created and you are looking at the games properties, there is a setting shown but it is not operable. It cannot be changed. So how people are creating games that allow saving is a mystery to me. I do appreciate your attempt to help me, but my questions remain unanswered. Oh well. My purpose in wanting a game I can play and save is simply to allow an arena for creating structures without the inconvenience of day/night and weather cycles, and yet to be in a natural-like setting. I can create whole villages, etc. The setting sparks my imagination. And I prefer to create within game, not the editor. But, alas!

i will try to screencap it for you. its in a weird place. 

i might have the text wrong on /exportlocal   hit enter to get to console commands /cmdlist gives you options

its possible /exportlocal has been changed. i havent used it in this update. i will try to remember to check into this next time i am in game.

They have changed the export local, it's now in the dropdown list of export options in the menu options. Menu/ publish games/ local export.  

The save option is called world saving, it's located in the gear icon, game settings, look for world saving.  It's default state is off.  In this menu you can also turn off hunger, storms and day length.  I tend to just make day and night options in the game. Usually we make guns with scripting.  It's really helpful when building to be able to see day / night as you are building. 

Hope this helps. 

Ylands_201020_080829.png

Ylands_201020_080909.png

Edited by bojo2736
  • Thanks 1

Yes, I am aware of this location of settings, but as I had mentioned, when I checked on this before, the setting could not be changed on a game scenario; it was frozen at the 'no-save' option. But it does seem to work now.  But maybe I tried it on a world that was already exported, and it needs to be set before exporting. Anyway, I feel that I will figure out any further quandaries on this.

So, YES! You have indeed helped me loads... hoping that it keeps working. THANK YOU SO MUCH!  ?

• Upvote 1