Valour4Eva

Action game: Battleground Arena!!

Hi everyone! At the moment, I'm in the works of planning the design of my game submission so i'll be updating this thread in stages based on what I have planned, and I have a LOT planned.
UPDATE 1:
The game itself requires a new UI. The first step required a working HP/stamina bar gauge (mana will come later). Any time you take damage, heal over time, or heal via a potion, the health bar will update instantly. The same applies for the stamina bar when you use stamina based skills. The game will incorporate a leveling system, so the max HP/stamina will also change as well, but that's for later down the road. The next step (If possible) is to create a custom hotbar to display only the skills instead of having to switch between hotbars to use the skills or crafting inv. 

UPDATE 2: After some tinkering (and some headaches haha), I've finally managed to create a custom skill hotbar. When pushing a certain key, it enables the hotbar. the same key can be pushed to hide it (for when you're crafting). When the hotbar is visible, you can use the skills attached to it. Next involves showing which skill is activated/on cooldown/interrupted, tinkering with the crafting hotbar and a way to change out skills through a custom window.

UPDATE 3 [CURRENT]: This will be a small picture update, but I've been able to create a working stat point distribution window. For testing purposes, the only ones available are for increasing Max health and Max stamina. However, the tests worked flawlessly, so more attributes like wisdom, mana, strength, etc. will come later in the future. More will be worked on this feature throughout the next few days and HOPEFULLY I can get a working leveling system that will incorporate EXP and Stat points per level that can be distributed between each stat. Until then, have a good remaining weekend!!

image.thumb.png.e525fd5f754fdab782005e3557e8cea7.png

UPDATE 3.5: Hey everyone! Just a small text update, however I want to inform those who are following this thread that the next update for this game will be a pretty major one (hence the delay). Also, due to the time frame that is left in this competition, I have decided to turn this game from an RPG/MMORPG game submission to an Action game submission! The game is called "Battleground Arena!!" The game will still utilize everything you have seen thus far, but on a smaller scale. But trust me, this will be even better as you can either play this as a single player or multiplayer!

Later after this competition however, I will continue my work on the MMORPG by utilizing everything that has been put into this game and expanding on it. If you have any questions about this game, feel free to ask! Depending on the nature of the question though, I may have to censor my answers in order to keep things "hush hush" ;)

Edited by Valour4Eva
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, ocnoglittle said:

But you already have a video for it :P 

Where? 

On 10/25/2020 at 12:39 AM, Valour4Eva said:

Hi everyone! At the moment, I'm in the works of planning the design of my game submission, but because there's very little to show right now this thread will be a little empty. Once I have enough material to show progress on the game, I will post it here in this thread.

Welcome to Ylands :D we are a friendly community!

3 hours ago, ocnoglittle said:

But you already have a video for it :P 

I'm making alterations to the game that makes that video you've seen irrelevant lol. 

• Like 1

UPDATE 1: because I plan for it to be an MMORPG, the game itself requires a new UI. The look of the UI itself will change overtime as this will probably not the final design.
The first step of creating a new UI required a working HP/stamina bar gauge (mana will come later). Any time you take damage, heal over time, or heal via a potion, the health bar will update instantly. The same applies for the stamina bar when you use stamina based skills. The game will incorporate a leveling system, so the max HP/stamina will also change as well, but that's for later down the road. The next step (If possible) is to create a custom hotbar to display only the skills instead of having to switch between hotbars to use the skills or crafting inv. 

Edited by Valour4Eva
  • Like 3

UPDATE 2: After some tinkering (and some headaches haha), I've finally managed to create a custom skill hotbar. When pushing a certain key, it enables the hotbar. the same key can be pushed to hide it (for when you're crafting). When the hotbar is visible, you can use the skills attached to it. Not sure if I'm the first to do this or not, but it's a pretty neat trick!! Next involves showing which skill is activated/on cooldown/interrupted, tinkering with the crafting hotbar and a way to change out skills through a custom window.

Edited by Valour4Eva
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

UPDATE 3: This will be a small picture update, but I've been able to create a working stat point distribution window. For testing purposes, the only ones available are for increasing Max health and Max stamina. However, the tests worked flawlessly, so more attributes like wisdom, mana, strength, etc. will come later in the future. More will be worked on this feature throughout the next few days and HOPEFULLY I can get a working leveling system that will incorporate EXP and Stat points per level that can be distributed between each stat. Until then, have a good remaining weekend!!

image.thumb.png.e525fd5f754fdab782005e3557e8cea7.png

• Like 4

UPDATE 3.5: Hey everyone! Just a small text update, however I want to inform those who are following this thread that the next update for this game will be a pretty MAJOR one (hence the delay). Also, due to the time frame that is left in this competition, I have decided to turn this game from an RPG/MMORPG game submission to an Action game submission! The game will still utilize everything you have seen thus far, but on a smaller scale. But trust me, this will be even better as you can either play this as a single player or multiplayer!

Later after this competition however, I will continue my work on the MMORPG by utilizing everything that has been put into this game and expanding on it. If you have any questions about this game, feel free to ask! Depending on the nature of the question though, I may have to censor my answers in order to keep things "hush hush" ;)

Edited by Valour4Eva
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

UPDATE 4.0 (Text update): Hello again everyone!! been a while haha. Just wanted to provide a quick update on whats been going in in the game

At this moment, for the past few weeks, I've currently been polishing the dynamic stat/attribute system so when the game launches for people to test/play with, all of the bugs (hopefully) are taken care of being this is a pretty important feature for this game. Besides the INT (intelligence) stat, the stats players will be able to adjust based on the amount of skill points they receive as they level up are STR (Strength),  VIT (Vitality), STA (Stamina), and AGI (Agility). STR determines how much damage you do to enemies depending on the weapons/melee skills used, VIT determines how much health you have, STA determines how much stamina you have to use skills, and AGI will determine how likely you are to dodge attacks. When the game releases, the only class players will be able to use is the slayer class (basically a warrior). Future classes (Assassin and magician) will be released as they are worked on (hence why INT will be disabled on release), however in order to meet the deadline of the competition, I've had to settle with the slayer class being the only one players can use for this game. 

I've also included @Shadow72's targeting system into the game with his generous permission (big thank you to shadow by the way for allowing me to implement his targeting system into this game), so players will be able to use skills that require locking on to mobs. The closest mob to the player will be the first to be in the players target range, and the player can then cycle through any nearby mobs based on distance. They can also freely turn on/off the system if they wish to not use it to increase the difficulty of some spells. 

A video demonstrating the stat attribute system will be posted later this week (maybe tomorrow?) to showcase what players will be able to do in the game using it. More information about the game will be posted at that time, so stay tuned!!

• Like 4

Hello Everyone!! Today I wanted to showcase the RPG UI I've been working so hard on for the past month. The video below showcases what I have so far, but here's a brief explanation of what you can and can't see:

HP/Stamina Custom regeneration: Regeneration of both stamina and health have been reworked to regenerate X amount every few seconds. This of course can be increased depending on stats and gear worn.

Stat attribute window: Other than the AGI and INT attributes, players can become more powerful over time every level they gain by allocating stat points in certain specs: STR which increases how much damage you deal with weapons, VIT which affects max health, and STA which affects max stamina

Leveling system: Players, upon defeating enemies and completing quests, can earn EXP points which, if enough is received, can cause the player to level up. Every level up comes with a boost in max HP and stamina, as well as damage increases in both melee skills and spells. Every level up also comes with 3 stat points players can allocate to any attribute in the stat attribute window.\

Mob spawns: Mobs will now spawn in an certain amount of time depending on how many are present in a given area. Everything from Levels, damage, health, EXP given when killed, etc. are generated from a database, ensuring not every mob spawned will be the same (making the experience boring).

Melee skills: In the video, 4 skills from the slayer class are demonstrated, including a health buff, a throwing skill, a jump skill, and an AOE skill.

Now as far as the game release, due to conflicting schedules with game development and school, I won't have enough time to 100% complete the game for this competition. Yes, I could rush everything and release the game as is on December 12th, putting me in a spot to compete for prizes. However, this will result in a negative experience for players, both those of the BI team and those who are avid gamers. What I have decided to do is wait until the next competition to submit this game. This way, not only will I have more time to finish every feature of the game, but also add more features and improvements to it. Player enjoyment/experience is more important than monetary values and prizes when it comes to developing ylands videogames. This I decided was necessary in order to provide a better experience for players alike. I will continue to provide updates to the game weekly however so those following this game will still be kept in the loop.

Edited by Valour4Eva
  • Like 5