Shadow72

The Lands of Evanar

It has been a while since the last update so I figured I'll fill you guys in on what's up. Due to school and personal reasons I haven't had time to work on the game in around a week. As I begin to work on the game again I am faced with the challenge of completing this super ambitious game in 22 days. It is going to be super tough to do but I'm going to try since I know a lot of people are looking forward to the game's release. In order to be able to release on time I got to announce the first content cuts from the game. The dungeon system and the class specialization system won't be in the game at launch. It is just going to take too much time to create the dungeon with all the custom encounters and balance it all correctly to do before the launch. Since there won't be a dungeon to do at endgame there won't be a need for specializations as most of them are specializations are made for dungeons such as tanks and healers. If you are looking forward to that part of the game don't worry, I plan to add in the dungeon and class specialization system in the first non-bug update after launch.

After the game is released and I have some free time I plan to upload a bunch of cool stuff to the workshop. My plan is to split all of my systems up and release them onto the workshop for anyone to use. So for example if you want a quest system like mine all you would have to do is download the composition from the workshop and add it to your game. The main concern when I say that to people is "Aren't you scared that someone might just copy what you did exactly and upload a copy of the game on the workshop?" but I think the positives that will come from me uploading the systems to the workshop will overshadow any of the negatives that could come from it. I highly suggest that others do the same too. The more we allow others to use what we have built the more cool games we will see on the workshop. The more cool games on the workshop the more people will stick around playing Ylands. It also allows people with limited experience in the editor the ability to create really cool and complex games without having to have that much experience in the editor. It will take some time for me to release all of them though. Some of the systems will have to be modified to allow easier use with outside scripts and the detailed writeup on how to use them will take a while to write. So don't expect it right away, but it is coming.

I should probably get back to working on the game, there is still so much to do. The next update I post will most likely be a preview of the lvl 1-5 leveling experience.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

When working on this project it became clear that the use of visual scripting for a project this big would just not work. The large scripts were difficult to work with and were difficult to manage. I abandoned the project for some time but with the new announcement of non-visual scripting I have decided to pick the project back up. Although I plan on using mostly non-visual scripts in the newer version. That leaves me with all of my hard work put into visual scripts just sitting on my computer doing nothing. So I have decided to release the full project so that others can use bits and pieces of it in their own games. Or just take a look at it and see how I did certain things. I hope some of you guys will find this useful. I plan to start working on this project again once non-visual scripting is available.

Installation instructions:

1. Download the zip file attached to this post
  2. Place the .Yland file in your Ylands scenario folder. It can be found at C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\(YOUR STEAM ID)\298610\remote\Scenarios
  3. Place all of the spreadsheets in your Ylands Datasets folder. It can be found at C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\(YOUR STEAM ID)\298610\remote\DataSets
  4. Open Ylands and load the map into the editor
  5. Once the map is opened in the editor, you should see a line of dataset game objects. Go through each dataset game object and import the matching spreadsheet for it

Please note that this is unfinished and there will be bugs in some of the scripts.

Lands of Evanar.zip

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

This is a must.
Thank you man :) let's take a look how others use scripting

I'm also curious how the non-visual scripting will work. I also agree with you, visual blocks are intuitive and more pleasant to use. But non-visual are better for big projects for sure. And in an IDE is easier to search specific things in the whole project.
Besides what works best for you, you should work on it again for sure

• Like 1

While waiting for non-visual scripting to be released I have been focusing on building. Here is a preview of the character selection/creation background.

• Like 5

Looks great mate! The way you’ve presented the character interface makes it look like a totally different game!

• Thanks 1

While creating the first out of the 3 leveling maps for Evanar I wanted a large wall to go on top of the mountains I have created. The problem was that It would most likely take forever to create something of that scale. So I came up with a way to generate a wall that would conform to the terrain but still look decent. This is the end result.

• Like 4