Aleš Ulm

Dev Diary #150 - Ships in 1.5 Exploration

Hey there, fellow Ylanders!

We are working very hard on update 1.5 that will, among other things, mark what we believe to be the birth of a new generation of Exploration. I am sure you would like to hear something more about it so let me give you some detail.

1.5 will be about exploration, travelling and socialization. We will give you a world made out of various maps to explore and to do so, you will need a ship. Your ship. In the new Exploration, your ship becomes the single most important object. You and your ship will become one. You will sail it to different games to gather resources, meet and trade with other players (or steal their stuff ?). After you store it on your ship you will sail back home... or maybe explore some other worlds?

Dev Diary #150 sailing.gif

You will always have one ship (well, after you build it or get it from someone else) that you will "link" to your avatar and which you won't be able to lose. You will be able to (un)summon it as you see fit via the radial menu. But what about your unfortunate friends that may not possess their own vessel? Just pick them up and go exploring the foreign lands together. Exploring in Ylands has never been so much fun.

image (84).png

And if you just want to live your happy life on your ylands and the idea of sailing the high seas scares you? Well, that is just fine. Having a ship isn't a must. You can still welcome your friends or random explorers who come sailing to your corner of the world. Even that sounds dreadful? Well, just keep your world multiplayer mode disabled and live the hermit life you always craved for.

As I said 1.5 will be the beginning of a whole new Exploration, with other new radical changes coming in 1.6 and every other following update bringing further improvements. We know that you have waited so long for Exploration to get back on track and because of that we decided to give you the first changes as soon as possible even if it means the experience will be a bit rough around the edges. So along with the update, we will present you with the list of what we expect to change (for example in 1.5 your ship will be invincible, which will later change etc.)  so that you can provide feedback and that we can, once again, continue making Ylands a cool, classy game together.

image (82).png

There's still a lot more to talk about but we'll continue some other time. Thank you for your patience and stay classy!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

Great to see you post here ?. We are glad to see exploration as a major priority again and I look forward to this version of it because it sounds great.

Edited by RedEagle_P1.
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Aleš Ulm said:

You will sail it to different games to gather resources, meet and trade with other players (or steal their stuff ?). After you store it on your ship you will sail back home... or maybe explore some other worlds?

Flintlock Trading Company:

ad2.gif

“You Sir have my attention. We eagerly await further information.”

I like the idea of making expanding the worlds like that but (if i understand it right) i cant play with my friends without being exposed to the outer world. By that i mean griefers/trolls. I know theres protective barrier but outside it you can still destroy stuff and when playing public servers i constantly find deep holes or high walls right outside my barrier that prevent me from going out of home and of course they are destroying the viev.... The idea is great but I think that players should be able to choose between being public multiplayer worlds and private multiplayer ylands with just a couple of slots to connect friend's worlds (maybe 4 or 5?). If i got it wrong please explain it to me again :) 

And besides that everything else such as trading with others is just awesome opportunity to create roleplay with friends and of course showing what you built recently. Even though i only have around 250 hours played in Ylands i love this game. I came back to it a couple of weeks ago and i really miss the big Ylands that you could create during the Early access  of the game (and of course the thing I belive was called "continent mode" it was perfect for creating cities and traveling between them with cars).

I hope i really didn't missed something important, but i don't use english as my primary language so i might have misunderstood something.

Have a nice day. :)

1 hour ago, Murcin said:

I like the idea of making expanding the worlds like that but (if i understand it right) i cant play with my friends without being exposed to the outer world. By that i mean griefers/trolls. I know theres protective barrier but outside it you can still destroy stuff and when playing public servers i constantly find deep holes or high walls right outside my barrier that prevent me from going out of home and of course they are destroying the viev.... The idea is great but I think that players should be able to choose between being public multiplayer worlds and private multiplayer ylands with just a couple of slots to connect friend's worlds (maybe 4 or 5?). If i got it wrong please explain it to me again :)

And besides that everything else such as trading with others is just awesome opportunity to create roleplay with friends and of course showing what you built recently. Even though i only have around 250 hours played in Ylands i love this game. I came back to it a couple of weeks ago and i really miss the big Ylands that you could create during the Early access  of the game (and of course the thing I belive was called "continent mode" it was perfect for creating cities and traveling between them with cars).

I hope i really didn't missed something important, but i don't use english as my primary language so i might have misunderstood something.

Have a nice day. :)

I assume that you can have a passworded server with your friends, but then take your ship elsewhere (public servers) to raid or visit others?

• Upvote 2

Will ships we have already built be compatible? Or do we need to wait til 1.5 to build a compatible vessel?

• Upvote 1

wow.Ales Ulm made a Sixer.A only one question,is it free.Please free .I think 1.6 will be more than anything.Exploration might be free because the guest will doomed ylands.I think you must banned guests.A guest said me Ylands is a lol game.But i ignore him.But he was banned by one of the moderators.

Edited by mustafamalik13072000
something is missing.
  • Downvote 3

5 hours ago, mustafamalik13072000 said:

wow.Ales Ulm made a Sixer.A only one question,is it free.Please free .I think 1.6 will be more than anything.Exploration might be free because the guest will doomed ylands.I think you must banned guests.A guest said me Ylands is a lol game.But i ignore him.But he was banned by one of the moderators.

Banning guest accounts altogether is a horrible idea Mustafamalik. You can create games that are password protected if you only want to play with friends. It's a social game. Banning spammers and griefers however is a good idea....the only problem with that is they keep coming back with different names and accounts....you know plenty about that.

Edited by spiritchaser28
  • Haha 4
  • Upvote 2

15 hours ago, WijkagentAdrie said:

I assume that you can have a passworded server with your friends, but then take your ship elsewhere (public servers) to raid or visit others?

Sounds good. I didnt think of it. And still there is one more thing about this update that i forgot to mention. Its the idea (abandoned?) of making that a thing in the game. --->

2020-09-17_134126.png?width=400&height=2

Personally i think that this concept is amazing and I think that early acces was the closest to this. The whole idea of connecting exploration mode servers is nice but first i would expand the exploration world itself. And i know that mobile devices have limited capabilities but that only means one thing. Both platforms should be separated (its only my opinion). Nowdays you can just swim without any boat to the next island that you see on the horizon and thats it. The problem is that exploring is not as hard as it was back in the days of early acces. I really miss it. I miss the continent mode and big ylands. Also i miss the possibility to craft normal guns not only the zicronium ones. Many things that were implemented in early acces got removed for some reason (and are only available in editor and sandbox).

Maybe I am wrong but I think that developers should now focus mainly on improving only exploration mode for couple of updates. Older players such as me are getting bored of this game because the main reason they bought it (exploration) wasnt really updated since now...

Maybe before connecting multiplayer worlds together we should at least try to again make the worlds bigger and then think about doing the multiplayer thing.

Have a nice day :).

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Murcin I agree with the idea that mobile and PC versions should be separated. They do give you that option in editor. From the looks of what they are saying about the next exploration update, I think it will also be an option in explore....just a guess, but it makes sense for those of us that have been wanting more out of exploration on PC.

• Upvote 2

Thanks for the feedback, guys :)

We will try to answer all of these in the next Dev Diary about the Exploration so all get the answers (also some things we are still looking into - like the possibility of using a ship from "old" Exploration in the new one).

• Thanks 2

Will these changes (summon-able and temporarily invincible boats) affect all maps or just exploration maps? (Will boats in other mini-games also become invincible?)

@Aleš Ulm I have been playing around on an old map. It has the old style islands and the old style caves.  Are you open to going back to those?

• Like 3

15 hours ago, bojo2736 said:

@Aleš Ulm I have been playing around on an old map. It has the old style islands and the old style caves.  Are you open to going back to those?

I'm with you there bb! Bring back the old cave styles and mountains! I do miss the mountains especially. 

• Upvote 4

19 hours ago, bojo2736 said:

Yep. Old maps are awesome. But how you can play on those maps? Whenever i try to play on my old worlds it just crashes my game...

On 10/30/2020 at 1:45 PM, Aleš Ulm said:

Thanks for the feedback, guys :)

We will try to answer all of these in the next Dev Diary about the Exploration so all get the answers (also some things we are still looking into - like the possibility of using a ship from "old" Exploration in the new one).

Can I ask when we can expect next dev diary? Soon or maybe we have to wait longer? Can you tell us @Aleš Ulm

Edited by Murcin

@Murcin  the map you have might be corrupted?   I have quite a few old maps.  They work, but are limited by the new rules. For example:  only 6 maps will show up, no matter how many are on the original file.  And they are still in view.  No navigation birds. No sharks. BUT the islands still have the jagged cliffs, and the old style caves.

On 10/30/2020 at 8:41 AM, mustafamalik13072000 said:

why you people downvote me,if you dont like ignore it

Seriously? Give us all a break dude. Your constant name changes and constant discord spam has gotten you banned multiple times..you keep coming back with new accounts to annoy people. We TRY HARD to ignore it, but you keep on doing the same things. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

How much would you like it if your phone beeped every minute only to see a message that says "OK"? I am sure you would have a hard time sleeping...we are begging you as an entire community....STOP DOING IT...please and thank you

Edited by spiritchaser28
  • Upvote 1

ok done,i will do it never,because i m very restless of these comments.Ok i will not   spammed.But remember spriritchaser,I m not that man(crownjuctice and blah).Byeand also i cant talk more in this topic which is dev diary.Cya soon.

13 hours ago, mustafamalik13072000 said:

ok done,i will do it never,because i m very restless of these comments.Ok i will not   spammed.But remember spriritchaser,I m not that man(crownjuctice and blah).Byeand also i cant talk more in this topic which is dev diary.Cya soon.

Yeah sure....we believe you...considering the fact we can read and know you are the same person. Your shameless self promotion of your discord accounts...it leaves a bad taste in people's mouths. I know all your names....you are the reason I am leaving ylands...such a toxic person. 

• Upvote 1

I've made a post referencing the direct I would like to see 1.5 take exploration. the idea of visiting other people and islands is one of limitless possibilities and could rejuvenate interest!

I would be grateful for the attention.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1