Adam Snellgrove

Dev Diary #154 - Custom Images

Hey there Ylanders!

While we are working tirelessly on update 1.5, the first part of the big Exploration overhaul, our Editor team has also cooked up a pretty nifty new feature and as you might have seen in the video above, it will be a lot of fun ?

We're calling it "Custom Images" and what this lets you do, is import your own images into the game and then use them in a variety of ways. So for example, as you have seen in the video, you can make the HUD much more personalised and add images, that aren't available in our catalogue. You can also use these images in custom windows or on custom controls when making a game for the mobile platform. 

DOOM.gif

But that's all still very much the domain of the UI, but another area, where you'll be able to use your Custom Images is in particle effects, so now you will have absolute control over the special effects featured in your game.

Adding new images will be done through a new Custom Image Library game logic and it will be very simple and straightforward and it won't work just in games, but also in Compositions. This way you can then share whole libraries via compositions.

Of course, there will be a system in place to make sure vulgar and inappropriate images aren't uploaded into the game and before the update, we will post here on the forums rules, on what is acceptable to upload and what isn't.

And that's it for today Ylanders, so let us know, how you are planning on using these new Custom Images and until next time, stay classy Ylanders ?

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

wooooooooooooooooah FINALLY :D

what else to say? Thank you so much team 

:D:D  :D 

PS - if team are not going to give us all the icons to use in windows/HUD, then with this we can now make those icons :P

Edited by jchob
  • Like 3

I don't want to anticipate bad events but I'm really afraid that it won't do more harm than good... :(  especially for particle effects...there are already enough problems with them anyway ... but if it works well then it will be really great!! :)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Adam Snellgrove said:

DOOM.gif

Well, I just want to say Thank you to Adam, because he's always made us laugh and happy?

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

YES!! This is Exactly what i've been waiting for!! This will be Incredibly useful for MMORPGs and making custom images for skills instead of having only a limited number of images when adding skills to your hotbar. Can't wait for 1.5 now haha

Edited by Valour4Eva
  • Like 3

@Adam Snellgrove I noticed that in your video, you used the in-game "shotgun casing" icons to show how much ammo you have. When are players going to have access to icon images for all the in-game materials/tools/crafting items/etc. to do things similar so players can make their own custom hotbars?

Edited by Valour4Eva
  • Upvote 1

On 11/28/2020 at 7:59 AM, Valour4Eva said:

@Adam Snellgrove I noticed that in your video, you used the in-game "shotgun casing" icons to show how much ammo you have. When are players going to have access to icon images for all the in-game materials/tools/crafting items/etc. to do things similar so players can make their own custom hotbars?

Naru actually got the image from here ? https://ylands.gamepedia.com/Shotgun_Shell

• Haha 1

@Adam Snellgrove
I have problems with custom icons...In editor i see icon normal, but ingame i see only blank icon...(like screens bellow)

Icon (helmet) in my icon storage

image.png.7d39e233b4af48f589a91d24d70d1b96.png

Icon in editor wiew

image.png.6016961dc62f689c38d315c0606e6da4.png

Icon in game wiew ? 

image.png.5577d0a719abcc50b28a10fc8be4e8d8.png

What i do wrong? I dont find any guide for this, or what format i need  to use (i use .png) or any advice ?

Edited by Azaren

Oh no! Is this in a published game or when testing through the editor?

You don't have any scripting attached to change that image, right?

png files seem to be fine for me. Did you delete the custom image library game logic? Maybe that could cause this problem. Or if the atlas was too full... I don't know, this is still very new.

1 hour ago, ocnoglittle said:

png files seem to be fine for me. Did you delete the custom image library game logic? Maybe that could cause this problem. Or if the atlas was too full... I don't know, this is still very new.

No, i don´t delete it. And i have only one custom picture, capacity 0,1%... ?

The smile turning into bruises is hysterical. Adam you are funny. I guess that's why I stick around this community. BI hired a great Community manager

I have a simple question. Will you increase the size of Custom image library game logic in future patchs?
Custom image is one EXTREMELY good thing, but if i want add in game custom game interface? ?

Edited by Azaren
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Azaren said:

I have a simple question. Will you increase the size of Custom image library game logic in future patchs?
Custom image is one EXTREMELY good thing, but if i want add in game custom game interface? ?

One of our designers will try and push through some new additions ?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Adam Snellgrove said:

One of our designers will try and push through some new additions ?

Nejsem si jist, zda jsem se vyjádřil v angličtině správně, měl jsem tím na mysli velikost v Mb, jinak řečeno, kolik se toho do knihovny vejde ? 

I mean "size in mega-bites"....If my english is too bad, i´m sorry ? 

Edited by Azaren

53 minutes ago, Azaren said:

Nejsem si jist, zda jsem se vyjádřil v angličtině správně, měl jsem tím na mysli velikost v Mb, jinak řečeno, kolik se toho do knihovny vejde ? 

I mean "size in mega-bites"....If my english is too bad, i´m sorry ?  

No sorry, it was my fault, I misunderstood the question AND the answer ? So the designer will try and implement it so the Mb limit gets bigger ?

• Thanks 3