Aleš Ulm

New Exploration FAQ

Hey there, fellow ylanders.

For a long time, we focused on the platform aspect of Ylands and the Exploration part slowly withered and in some ways actually became less fun to play than it originally was. Several months ago I became Ylands Project Lead (again) and from that very moment, we (especially with help of Tomas "Equi" Pavlik, who's overseeing the new Exploration) started making sure that Exploration becomes something unique and fun. Making sure that players who bought Ylands because of Exploration don't feel forgotten. 

Ylands is a huge project and it takes time to introduce changes, let alone major ones. But I felt that we had to start acting right away. That's why in 1.5 we are introducing a quite radical step towards the new Exploration but in no way we are saying that this is the new Exploration as we envisioned it because it will take more time. Please take it for what it is and try helping us to continue in the right direction.

I understand that you may possibly have a lot of questions so this FAQ may help you find some answers. If not, feel free to ask in this forum. Give us as much feedback as possible. Thank you for staying classy!

So it's now only about Exploration?

Wow, hold your horses! Ylands is still a platform first and there are some amazing features waiting to be released for the Editor. But we can definitely do that without neglecting Exploration as you will see in the upcoming months (and years).

What's the main thing that changed about Exploration?

Instead of starting numerous Exploration games, Exploration is now one huge world. You create your character, pick a starting yland and start exploring. Continuing Exploration simply lets you continue from where you left off.

How do I travel between Ylands?

Create a vessel that is your own and sail to the edge of your current Local map. Once you cross the edge, in the Region map you can select another yland to travel to. Don't forget that you can sail even to ylands in another region - just open the World map and select the region.

What do you mean by "my own vessel"?

In the new Exploration, your avatar can have one vessel that is bound to them. You can call for the ship and send it away via the Radial menu ("Q"). Sailing to another yland is available only if you are sailing on your own vessel. You can let go of the vessel ownership at any time or claim a vessel that doesn't belong to anyone (also via Radial menu). The first vessel you build you will own by default.

Can other players travel with me to other ylands via the map on my ship?

Absolutely! They have to be present on the ship when you choose to travel.

What ylands can I travel to?

In every region, you see undiscovered ylands that are marked either as Single or Multiplayer. The singleplayer ylands are local games where you won't run into anyone else (unless you change them to Multiplayer mode). Multiplayer ylands can be really anything - MP games hosted locally by another player (peer2peer connection), a dedicated server ran by a fellow ylander or one that we are hosting. How will you know what it will be? You... explore! 

I want to visit my friend's yland but I don't see it among the ylands it that particular region...

It's very likely that those 20 ylands you can explore in every region don't contain all the ylands you may want to visit. So if you want your friend to have your yland on their map (or vice versa) you simply "share" that yland with them (it doesn't have to be your yland, it can be any yland you find interesting). If the yland has multiplayer mode enable, you will see a Share button when you hover over it. Just click it and select which friend to share it with. If they have at least one undiscovered yland your ylands will replace it.

There is a limit of 20 ylands per region. What if I want to explore more ylands or have some I don't like?

With the exception of your starting yland, you can remove any on your map and they will be replaced by a fresh, undiscovered one.

What happens when another update comes? Will I lose my progress?

One of the main points of the new Exploration is that you can keep enjoying new content while keeping your progress. Have we added something that appears only on newly generated ylands? Well, keep the ones with your home and remove as many others as you see fit to experience the new content.
But we need to be perfectly honest with you at this point - we will do the absolute maximum so that your progress stays untouched in 1.6 but we're calling 1.5 Exploration "Experimental" for a reason. However, at this point, I can assure you that we don't plan on wiping the progress with 1.6 and keeping your world intact is our utmost priority.

What if I don't want to travel and Explore?

Fair enough! Just stay on your yland and enjoy your solitary life as a castaway  ??

What if don't want other people to come to my yland?

All single-player ylands (including your starting yland) are just that - single-player ylands. No one will be able to enter them unless you change them into multi-player (and you can make this change at any point).

What problems can I expect?

Obviously with changes this big you can encounter some technical issues but hopefully not anything major. However, the new gameplay may bring new ways of griefing so that's definitely something we would like you to report whenever you encounter it.

What can we expect to change?

There are definitely things we want to change in 1.6. Your ship is now invincible which means no fun naval battles. The travelling even to distant ylands in different regions is instantaneous and without challenge. The barrier, the way it has worked so far, is something that we need to reevaluate... and the list goes on and on.

What will 1.6 be like?

We are still discussing the final design of many things and we also expect many to arise from your feedback so we will start updating you about 1.6 features in regular Dev Diaries starting in 2021. Let us know what would you like to see!

• Thanks 5

Ahoj, update vypadá moc dobře. Ale narazil jsem na jeden malý problém. Když začnu nové objevování mohu si vybrat kde začít, jestli na mírném nebo tropickém ostově. Chyba nastává tehdy když si zadám že chci začínat na mírnem ostrově, já se vždy objevím na ostrově tropickém i když mi mapa světa ukazuje že jsem v pásmu mírném. 

Edited by jar.janca

Just now, jar.janca said:

Ahoj, update vypadá moc dobře. Ale narazil jsem na jeden malý problém. Když začnu nové objevování mohu si vybrat kde začít, jestli na mírném nebo tropickém ostově. Chyba nastává tehdy když si zadám že chci začínat na mírem ostrově, já se vždy objevím na ostrově tropickém i když mi mapa světa ukazuje že jsem v pásmu mírném. 

Thank you for the feedback ? Could you please make it into a separate thread in the Exploration Feedback section? Would be great and we'll look into it ?

Děkuji za feedback ? Mohl bys nám to prosím hodit do separátního vlákna v Exploration Feedback sekci? Děkuji moc a my se na to podíváme ?

5 minutes ago, Adam Snellgrove said:

Děkujeme za zpětnou vazbu ?  Mohli byste to prosím udělat v samostatném vlákně v sekci Zpětná vazba průzkumu? Bylo by skvělé a podíváme se na to ?

Děkuji za zpětnou vazbu ?  Mohl bys nám to prosím hodit do separátního vlákna v Exploration Feedback sekci? Děkuji moc a my se na to podíváme ?

Kam přesně prosím? 

I have been playing the new update a lot the past week. Finished my dream cottage and finally got out exploring more "islands" on "Ylands". However, to my horror I found a massive island way better than the one I settled on. This new island has a river. A RIVER... I had placed my protective barrier on on the island I first chose thinking "the islands can't get any bigger than this one." boy, was I wrong. Now I have a question I fear I already know the answer to. Is it possible in the new update to remove an island with your protect barrier on it and get a new protective barrier to place on your new island? Or is it even, preferably, possible to construct a new protective barrier to place on a new island that isn't in the same "Local Map"? Or will I have to completely delete my entire world and start a new? 

i am confused....my friend invited me to his exploration experimental game.  he's made it a shared game. when he logs out I can't play.  is there some way I can start my own version of this game? and then we sail to meet up with each other? don't really understand how it works.  just seems a shame if i can't play it when he's not online

Do you own the DLC? If so, you should be able to go to his sharegame by going to the edge of the map of your starter island or any other island (as long as you remember the region and name of the map ?)

Otherwise, you need to purchase the DLC to play without him ?

Is it possible for my friend(who hasn't bought a DLC) to play experimental exploration with me (via invite), because he is still able to play legacy exploration(also via invite)?

21 hours ago, Macika35 said:

Is it possible for my friend(who hasn't bought a DLC) to play experimental exploration with me (via invite), because he is still able to play legacy exploration(also via invite)?

Not at the moment, but we are working on a way people that didn't buy the Exploration Pack to enjoy a part of the Exploration experience to try it out.

• Upvote 1

I think they are working on being able to transport cars and animals on ships or some sort of summoning them like the ships can be summoned. Personally I'd like to see a ferry ramp attachment for ships, but however they decide to do it I'll be happy. I'd love to take my car elsewhere and my goats and sheep.

Edited by spiritchaser28

I have been with this game almost since the start. I have bought it for several members of family and friends. I loved the exploration with cube that allowed focus on building. I hate the new one. I hate killing. I hate getting hungry every few seconds. But I just found way to play with best of both worlds which is to explore with cube allowing time to do what I am in the game for. In the cubeless state I learned to struggle for items and love the gathering to craft the hard way. So i thought I would find good world, cube, then not take from inventory but make the hard way. I now find that I cannot create new worlds in the old exploration system. If this is so I will quit Ylands with sadness - it is a great game in itself, none better for aesthetic qualities. I know others who are on the point of doing the same. I had been hoping for more development in the npc area. All are simply reskins of either traders or killers - all are brainless.

This is so sad. To me it is a game going nowhere.

Regards, Soeur

Edited by soeurwulf knightserrant