Aleš Ulm

Dev Diary #157

Hey there, fellow ylanders!

Update 1.5 is finally out and boy, what a big one. We brought you a lot of optimizations, as well as some extremely handy Editor tools - especially the ability to add your own images to be used in your user interfaces, will help you create even cooler games. 

For many of you, however, the most important in this update is something completely different - the first step towards reworked Exploration

I know that it took us quite a long to make this first big step. I also know that no matter what we do this first step won't please everyone. But I consider it a new beginning, a clear signal that we're serious about this. And because since it's just the first step, let me tell you what our vision is. Please note that I'm talking about a vision and not about things "that are planned". That's because we will carefully listen to what your wishes and ideas are and even though it's obvious we won't be able to implement all of those, together we will make sure that we're addressing things that are important.

We see Exploration as a unique world filled with places you can visit, explore, where you meet your friends and strangers alike. Where there is ALWAYS a new place to go, new yland uncharted, new challenge to accept. Place where you build yourself a home, a place which you can make sure will be there and won't get wiped with any update. Place, where you can enjoy whatever new we introduce without starting a new game every single time.

Ylands_DD_night.jpg

A world where we care more about things that are broken than adding new features at all cost. That doesn't mean that there will be no new content by all means. Even though many of you believe we should add flying vehicles, trains, submarines and a thousand other things as soon as possible (just like we ourselves used to believe), we will primarily focus on making sure that what's already in the game works as expected. That it's fun. That you can live amazing stories with your friends.

Now let me get back to the update at hand. This update was huge, the changes we made under the hood were quite big so there were some issues that need fixing - for example the one that prevents players from eating under some circumstances. We've already found and fixed the most annoying issues reported and will be releasing a hotfix today or tomorrow.

Let me thank you again for your patience. Stay safe and classy, ylanders!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4
  • Upvote 1

I spent a couple of hours this week with the update. I like what I see. 

One change that we need: some way to see our friends when we are on the same map. 

• Upvote 3

We also need more inventory slots. And an bigger stacks.

Also, can you tell us, is there a reason why bark and oak bark are different and take up separate slots? 

Well said @Aleš Ulm.

I must admit, over the last 6 months preceding the release of 1.5, I was terribly concerned about the future and viability of the game. It was disheartening to see Exploration being reduced with each update as more elements were stripped without warning.

Aside from the current bug-associated ‘growing pains’ I think 1.5 has made the first dramatically positive step in the right direction for a very long time.

I have had an absolute blast building my ship, visiting other biomes and meeting other players. I’ve even taken to chronicling my adventures when it’s too foggy to navigate!

Now is the time for the Current player base to jump in, assist in bug detection and maybe even form a few community-friendly ports that we can all visit?

Well done to the Ylands Dev team for recognising and rebuilding a potentially successful and unique survival experience! Thanks guys!

Rob

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I think you have pulled this new beginning off! Glad to see it! Thanks for listening. We feel heard and we are encouraged. :D

Please get some good intensives for bug reports while we have a boost in players. :D

Edited by RedEagle_P1.
  • Like 1

(maybe this can be moved to a new topic)

hey there ylanders ?
[ please, don't start a fight here. You will understand my point. Like it or not, be polite if you are going to give your opinion ]

We need protection barrier system for friends.... you know that @Aleš Ulm and @Adam Snellgrove which is our man to get to the team listening to the good and bad things we have been saying lately (he needs a raise btw ? Adam you owe me a beer for this)

but we give time for the team to make it real "without flaws" (I believe team is making it, so don't disappoint us ?)

Now, even more seriously: I haven't play explore for like 1 year.
And I must be honest with all of you now: it's not only because I didn't like the changes. 

Let me explain:

Suddenly i found myself spending more time in editor and falled in love with it.
Why you may ask? It is just amazing how this game have a "survival" and a "creator" mode.
Both modes are far from perfect. But you know what? Having 2 modes makes this game perfect for me.
I love both systems and i cannot split myself into 2. And I ended up using editor for Visual Scripting rather than Exploration. I'm not saying I prefer one over the other... it's just my personal taste.

When i started I had to learn about the game (with help of my friends @bojo2736 and @MyPa553ng3r and among other players which could be a long list ?)
I forgot about exploration experience, like I said about 1 year ago, but I've always followed the news about it as best I could. 
Now that I am back into exploration, I see what I have missed. Knowing about what's new it's not the same exctasty feeling as playing it.
I did not like when team made smaller maps, took away the sea-side montains, etc etc.. but now I see their point. (and not to mention the sharks :P
But i did like the way they took both systems working. 
Oh, c'mon, you gotta like the whole game.

Thus, I just want to say thank you team :D 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

I’ve been spending some solid time playing Exploration now, I’ve met so many people on my travels. I’ve noticed a lot of them are new to the game, which is a good sign!

I even partook in a little sea combat for the first time! Someone opened fire on me without warning! They were a bit surprised when I started to fire gunpowder barrels back at them!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, jchob said:

We need protection barrier system for friends

We are going to rework the whole barrier system in the next few updates ?

Thank you so much for the nice words and for your feedback ?

11 hours ago, Deadeye_Rob said:

They were a bit surprised when I started to fire gunpowder barrels back at them!

Don't mess with Deadeye_Rob ?

18 hours ago, bojo2736 said:

And an bigger stacks.

I'll ask about it ?

18 hours ago, bojo2736 said:

some way to see our friends when we are on the same map. 

That would though then make the possibility of "fighting your friends" (a friendly scuffle) a bit boring, because you'd see, where they are at all times. But I will ask about it ?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Adam Snellgrove said:

To by pak způsobilo, že možnost „bojovat se svými přáteli“ (přátelská rvačka) bude trochu nudná, protože byste viděli, kde jsou po celou dobu. Ale na to se zeptám ?

Bylo by fajn vidět své přátelé na mapě, popřípadě to v nastavení zapnout, dost mi to chybí, je velký problém se někdy s přáteli najít . Psal jsem to už někde a nikdo mi na to neodpověděl. "1. Jestli uvidím spoluhráče na mapě ? 2. Když hráč z přátel označí nějaký bod na mapě, jestli se zobrazí všem přátelům na mapě (např. označení pokladů, zdrojů a pod. ?  3.  Když se někomu při prozkoumávání zobrazí ostrov,  jestli se bude zobrazovat i ostatním přátelum spoluhráčům) ? Dám příklad: když budeme hrát 3 spoluhráči a rozdělíme se a každý pojede na jiný ostrov a bude ho prozkoumávat jestli se bude zobrazovat i spoluhráčům kteří s ním hrají, aby nemuseli navštěvovat ten stejný ostrov a zkoumat ho znovu, dost by to ulehčilo práci, obzvlášť když je teď ostrovů tolik. 

Děkuji za odpověď 

@Adam Snellgrove I was thinking something like a party group system. Also, does this mean that explore by default is PVP? I know several players who wont play PVP because of trolling issues.

I hope I'm in the right spot but just wanted to put it out there in case others had similar issues.

1. If you are kicked from a game, you cannot travel back to your game, because you are not on the helm and or at the edge of the map.

2. Having trouble joining shared maps, and friends also can't travel to mine. Even after shared in menu. They can only join me via invitation.

3. Replaced my ship and previous one disappeared.

4. Hunger bug finally fixed, excellent.

5. A friend accidentally deleted his first game, then could only play when I got on since he was in my game last. Need a fail safe. Same deal as number 1.

6. Maybe we need a few ylands servers to host open world with special mats, to have a reason to risk entering. Is it possible to steal a ship? Should be in these areas.

Huge huge upgrade, very fun. Awesome changes. Keep up the good work.

I know that your game has to have a password if you want your friends to join without you being there. Without the password , If the host of the game isn't there , then nobody can come in. In that case the game does not exist without the host. Technically whoever has a sharegame with a password means whoever is first on that map (with password) is the current host. So one player can start the game, invite a friend and give them the password. The friend can then come and go as he/she pleases. 

• Like 1

Solid information, thanks! Though we setup a password on all our maps because we mostly play together. Does it have something to do with "publishing" it? I've published everything, but I don't think I've tried sharing it without publishing it. 

@spiritchaser28 Hello, thx for the informations but, I have folow your instructions but my friends can't join if I'm not their.

we want to establish our houses in the same island but not on an open server. But if I'm leaving the game my friends can't travel back to this island 

this is my settings for the multiplayer, I don't know if it's an issue or if it's design to be like that ? @Adam Snellgrove

Ylands Screenshot 2020.12.21 - 20.24.46.10.png

Hmmm If they know the password they should be able to join at any time. At least that's how it worked with the old explore. Unless they do not actually own the DLC.....did anything change since then @Adam Snellgrove ?

Edited by spiritchaser28

You're all doing such great work and I am also SO happy to see exploration receiving much needed love.

Some things that concern me as Exploration is my favorite mode of the whole game:

• Placing anything you want anywhere you want has always been the number 1 thing that sets Ylands apart from everything out there. Please don't lose this.
  • The ability to begin building literally anywhere seems to have improved and gotten worse in recent updates.
    It got better - the grid system that was implemented.
    it got worse - we lost the rotation functions we used to have and all builds seem to begin on a locked axis.
  • I remember when we could place full stacks of logs and other bulky resources in nice piles that added so many effects like,
    storage containers no longer packed,
    a lovely stack of logs next to a fireplace for easy use,
    a decorative effect to the outside of homes in the winter.
    -Now, when stacking logs in this way the blocks harden. A stack of 50 logs (visibly represented by 1 log) next to another stack, they harden now and you can only chip pieces of wood off of them after that.-
    I really don't like that. I used to love piling resources about where I was going to start building a ship or a house and now I have to build piles of containers and empty/destroy them after building.
  • Sometimes having the option "keep everything when you die" checked means you will have everything when you die, sometimes you won't. I try to leave it checked and will have to go back to where I died to refill my inventory.

Ylands will always be one of my favorite games and I do hope the dev team keep listening ❤️
Thank you for always keeping changing your character name and appearance anytime, free. Please don't ever lose that.
Thank you for keeping us explorers in your thoughts while working out what you wanted for creative mode. While I do appreciate the chance to build anything I can imagine, for me the draw of this game begins with having nothing and gaining everything, the hard way. In any other game I would probably be interested in creative mode, the art style, the mechanics and the atmosphere of this whole game call my heart back to endeavoring to endure in explorer.
Thank you for bringing my giant purple chair back.
❤️ / Ayla

20181201065327_1.jpg

20181206032824_2.jpg

20190221051351_1.jpg

20190416145600_1.jpg