Antimidation

Wooden Blocks not fitting

Question

This is my nightmare right now. No, this is not the final piece in a stack, but it is on a new exploration experimental game. I would really like to finish my ship build so I can save it for new games, but I can't finish with all these block bugs. Are there any work arounds for this sort of thing? Thank you.

20210110152658_1.thumb.jpg.0d7b8609eec861e8a3fe6e3306a7faa3.jpg
20210110152837_1.thumb.jpg.89fe9dba6b04ce1b9dac030718fcdf75.jpg20210110152811_1.thumb.jpg.107eee74eeb4c46954b4b0f3c9fc9f97.jpg20210110152705_1.thumb.jpg.45820539cf0a478880f3ba0b830c33fd.jpg

8 replies to this bug / suggestion

Sometimes there can be little minute block placement tolerances where the blocks get placed a micron/pixel out of place. This happened especially back when you could build ships without the anchor down.

My 'Work-around' suggestion to fix this would be to do as you have done in the picture. Then, whilst holding down the Right mouse button, switch to Free-place mode by pressing V. The block should then be able to be placed whilst ignoring the colliding blocks surrounding it.

After about a minutes cooldown, the freeplaced block should harden as normal.

Hope this helps.

• Like 2

I just remembered, this could be the placement bug!

Do you have any trouble placing blocks in a space where there is no possibility of a collision? If you cannot place the block anywhere whatsoever, it could be the bug. To work around this, simply try to cycle through your block variations by pressing J or K. it should work.

@Antimidation is this a blueprint build that you are adding on to? If so one workaround is take the composition to editor and place it on zero axis and rotations x, y, and z. then save the composition again and re-do the blueprint.  For some reason blueprint builds have been having the same issue where blocks won't snap if you are adding to them unless it was saved in this fashion. and that seems to only apply to blueprints that were made in editor then taken to a legacy map to blueprint. I don't think it applies to compositions made directly in exploration.

Edited by spiritchaser28

On 1/11/2021 at 2:35 AM, spiritchaser28 said:

@Antimidation is this a blueprint build that you are adding on to? If so one workaround is take the composition to editor and place it on zero axis and rotations x, y, and z. then save the composition again and re-do the blueprint.  For some reason blueprint builds have been having the same issue where blocks won't snap if you are adding to them unless it was saved in this fashion. and that seems to only apply to blueprints that were made in editor then taken to a legacy map to blueprint. I don't think it applies to compositions made directly in exploration.

Unfortunately, no. This is me building onto the large ship hull that has been in game from the beginning I think. I've reached a wall as far as building directly onto the deck of the ship. I'm not sure if they have a problem with blocks and flooring/wall pieces not understanding themselves in the building interface or what. I've been able to build huge custom builds onto these hulls in the past but now that theres an easy way to save your ship builds I can't finish this, of course.

On 1/11/2021 at 12:03 AM, Deadeye_Rob said:

Sometimes there can be little minute block placement tolerances where the blocks get placed a micron/pixel out of place. This happened especially back when you could build ships without the anchor down.

My 'Work-around' suggestion to fix this would be to do as you have done in the picture. Then, whilst holding down the Right mouse button, switch to Free-place mode by pressing V. The block should then be able to be placed whilst ignoring the colliding blocks surrounding it.

After about a minutes cooldown, the freeplaced block should harden as normal.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info. I actually have tried free placement once and the block fell through the entire ship onto the bottom of the ocean. I will give it a try again though. Might be the only way. Thanks.

On 1/11/2021 at 12:06 AM, Deadeye_Rob said:

I just remembered, this could be the placement bug!

Do you have any trouble placing blocks in a space where there is no possibility of a collision? If you cannot place the block anywhere whatsoever, it could be the bug. To work around this, simply try to cycle through your block variations by pressing J or K. it should work.

I will try this too, and yes, I do have trouble placing blocks where there is no possibility of collision. It will come up red and tell me there is no room. 

4 hours ago, Antimidation said:

Unfortunately, no. This is me building onto the large ship hull that has been in game from the beginning I think. I've reached a wall as far as building directly onto the deck of the ship. I'm not sure if they have a problem with blocks and flooring/wall pieces not understanding themselves in the building interface or what. I've been able to build huge custom builds onto these hulls in the past but now that theres an easy way to save your ship builds I can't finish this, of course.

Maybe you hit the boundaries? There is a limited space. it seems odd though because you have other blocks that seem to be within the boudary and you are simply trying to match them. Sometimes freeplacing is the only way to get past these things.

Oh one more thing...if the ship isn't in construction mode it will do that as well. I should have led with that suggestion first. Smacking my hand to my head not thinking of that first.

Edited by spiritchaser28