NoNoNumGum

Sailing/Finding islands

Question

I remember when in alpha when you would start a new game. You would get some sticks, flint, wood, or anything you find necessary. Then you get a campfire going, you got some clay so you make furnaces. You make food and cut some trees down. You pick up the logs and before you know it you have your own little place you can call home. You find a cave and you get some iron. You get cotton to make a bellow. You make yourself a forge and get some iron tools. You slowly but surely make yourself a nice huge boat! You can leave the island and explore to find some more resources! You get on your boat and you sail into the ocean blue. You don't know where anything is and you have no map. You see some birds so you follow them since it must mean there's an island. Land ho! You anchor your ship and get off. You make a new house. Then you realize you don't have a map! You lose your old base and hope to one day find it again. You settle down on this new island and eventually get a map and go out to sea again. Then you find your old puny little cabin you built a few weeks ago. You feel happy! You love the sailing! The ocean calls to you! 

This was in alpha. Nowadays you get beginner resources and then you get yourself a raft and not a ship since there is hardly any iron on the starter island. Then you build a raft and can see the next island you need to go to without a map. You get on your raft and go to that island you saw. 

The point is, sailing doesn't feel very exciting anymore. You use to have to look for birds as you sailed through the roaring sea in a storm. Now you don't even need to make a map or look for anything. You just see the next island you want to go to. It just isn't the same. 
I hope you can consider these suggestions:
         1. Make it so you have to craft a map again.

- I remember one time I got lost at sea because I didn't have a map. It was irritating but it made the game fun. It made sense too.  

2. Make the view distance lower. 

- If I'm correct this is the reason you can see the islands next to you. Its because you guys increased the view distance. So you should lower it again so there is more exploration to the ocean.

Thank you for reading this! :D

3 replies to this bug / suggestion

I was thinking a bit about how to add the feeling of "discovery" to the new system. An easy way to incorporate the feeling of *Exploration* into the new system would be to decrease the chance of finding an island. Right now, each map has 2-4 islands. But what if it was 0-4? Where only half of the maps would have anything at all? It would make the maps that have islands (and all the resources there) more precious and sharing them would be worth it. Searching for a new island would actually be difficult instead of just sailing to the edge and clicking on a question mark. Maybe only have this for single-player maps, and all multiplayer maps are guaranteed to have 3-4 islands? If everyone hates this idea, then nevermind ?.

I know Adam mentioned adding events that can happen while you are sailing (being attacked by pirates, running into someone to trade with, I think I requested something about turtles... etc) so that might already address it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ocnoglittle said:

I know Adam mentioned adding events that can happen while you are sailing (being attacked by pirates, running into someone to trade with, I think I requested something about turtles... etc) so that might already address it.

Yeah, this is something we are working on, but your idea of 0-4 islands os intriguing,  though there is the risk, that someone would get unlucky and hit a streak of non-island maps ? I guess those would still have to have something to find (underwater adventures, NPC strader ship etc.). I'll pass it on ?

• Like 1

@ocnoglittle

Thats an interesting idea. 

That along with my suggestion of having to craft a map again would really increase the chances of getting lost at sea. Which would be pretty awesome!

Edited by NoNoNumGum