Adam Snellgrove

Dev Diary #161 - New Ship Type

Hey there Ylanders!

Today I have two pieces of news to share with you. First, let's begin with some new cool content, that will be arriving in the next Goodie Pack: The Junk Ship!

This has been quite exciting for us because we weren't sure we'll manage to finish the development on this beauty on time, but because of some really hard work by our team, it will appear in the next mini-update. This new ship will bring countless new possibilities to your builds and a missing Eastern feel to our growing navy ? The first Junk Ships appeared during the Han dynasty in the 2nd century and were an integral part of river and sea voyages throughout history up until today in and around China and her neighbours. The supposedly largest Junk Ship ever built was that of Admiral Zheng He. It had nine masts, was 130 metres long and 55 metres wide ?

While our junk ships won't resemble those of the legendary Zheng He, they will be pretty easy to build and will be as fast as a small wooden ship, making it a great vessel to start your adventures on ? Also it is an absolute must when travelling to the Eastern Biome regions as it will fit right in ?

And the second piece of news is a bit bittersweet because after nearly two years having fun with all of you and working on one of the most exciting projects I will be leaving Ylands in three weeks time. It really was a great honour and wonderful experience to start my gaming industry career with you all and I couldn't have asked for a more chill and classy group of individuals ? But as with every great story, there comes an end and it is time for me to sail off to my next adventure. We are already searching for someone fun to replace me and take care of you all and this is by no means a goodbye from me. I'll still be here for three weeks, so this is not my last Dev Diary and we'll have time to chat some more. And even after I leave, I will always take an interest what's happening on my favourite Exploration and Creative platform ? But in no sense is my leaving because of any dissatisfaction with the community or Ylands, quite the opposite I have really enjoyed every second of it chatting with you, seeing Ylands grow and improve while making silly videos and getting to know you all during our Streams ? Just a new adventure called and me being the adventuring type I had to heed that call. So again, thank you all for your kindness, creativity and classiness and I'll see you around.

So until next time, stay classy Ylanders.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 9

Thank you for the work you've done here. Your enthusiasm was something that shaped Ylands experience for many people playing and you listened to all concerns and feedback Ylanders offered. You've managed to calmly talk down disputes about the game or in the community itself. 

You are an important piece of the Ylands world. May your way be paved with tea and cookies ? 

PS: The new ship looks very nice! If I decide to try out the new Exploration, it may be my home vessel ?

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Miguel Preguisa said:

May your way be paved with tea and cookies ? 

Could I wish for a better farewell? ? Thank you Miguel.

• Like 1

Thank you Adam for all the time you have given us, I hope that your new adventures will be as thrilling as with this community. I send you happiness and tea, see you soon on the seas of ylands.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

we will miss you here adam,I wish you much success and everything you wish for . 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Oh no, that is a sad new.

It is always hard to see those we like leaving, but that's life. On the other hand, if you are tracing your own path to pursue your dreams, I must feel happy for you, but at same time an enourmous sadness takes over me seeing such an amazing, humble, funny person leaving the community.
Whe you came, ylands was at a early stage, and facing us directly with complaints, suggestions, and everything else probably was a bit overwhelming for you, but you handled everything in a good way. I speak for myself and maybe for others saying you did an amazing job on your journey here, always ready to give guidance and assistance for those who were in need of. And thanks for that, really, I appreciate all you have done. I still remember your post presenting yourself to community :D
Every one of us know the importance to have a communication channel between community to developer's team, and in my point of view that helped a lot to get where ylands is at the moment and you were important in that role. Thanks so much again.

Don't worry, tell the new Community Manager nothing to be affraid of. He or she will be in good hands with us... or not ??
We will make sure the new person continues your legacy until she/he traces it's own legacy.

May life keep smiling to you, and if not punch it in the face ?

Farewell my good man :) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Wow...this is good news and bad news. I am excited about all the changes being made, but I hate to see you go @Adam Snellgrove. At least though you can leave with the knowledge of a job well done! I hope for many more successful adventures in your future!!!!

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Thank you so much @jchob, it really does feel like yesterday that we all talked for the first time. I'm just glad that I could help and that I could be a part of such an amazing team creating such an amazing game with such an awesome community to always back it up.

Thank you ?

• Like 2

“Why do you go away? So that you can come back. So that you can see the place you came from with new eyes and extra colors. And the people there see you differently, too. Coming back to where you started is not the same as never leaving.”
 Terry Pratchett, A Hat Full of Sky

• Upvote 2

I figured you would enjoy a Pratchett quote

I will miss you, but do sincerely hope you return someday to let us know of your new accomplished quests! I will pray that you always roll a 20.

• Thanks 1

Fantastic! Exactly the kind of content that fires the imagination! Well done guys!

@Adam Snellgrove it’s been a pleasure engaging with you on this forum. I hope to see you about in game. All the best for your future endeavours!

• Thanks 1

@Adam Snellgrove Deeply sorry to see you go, your passion was clear from the onset. You were always deeply involved in the community in a way nobody else before you was able. We could all see you were working really really hard.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, spiritchaser28 said:

Ylands_210128_140806.png

Ah, thank you so much ?

And as Terry Pratchett wrote in Mort:

“Goodbye,” Mort said, and was surprised to find a lump in his throat. “It’s such an unpleasant word, isn’t it?”

QUITE SO. Death grinned because, as has so often been remarked, he didn’t have much option. But possibly he meant it, this time.

I PREFER AU REVOIR, he said.

• Like 1

Adam, you will definitely be missed. Thank you so much for everything you have done for this community. And thank you for always being so patient with all of us!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

ohhhh no ..... I am sad and will miss you. I can only confirm everything that has already been written here. Your commitment to the community has been very helpful to all of us. Even if I'm sad, I personally of course only wish you the very best on your journey and the new challenge. Perhaps you will visit our new Easter map that we are currently working on and enjoy the new things. Thanks Adam for everything !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by HanniNanni12
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks you for all @Adam Snellgrove. I want to tell you more, but my English is not good for that.
So, just one BIG...HUGE! thanks. You are best one ;-) 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for everything you have brought to the community, you will be sorely missed.
The news yesterday rang like a cannon ball, but I'm glad you're heading on new adventures! You were a manager full of humor, attentive, patient, always ready to help and I often imagined you in the BI offices running from one office to another to get information and communicate it to us ?
I will end with a huge THANK YOU, I wish you the best for the future, Major General ?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Apart from the update, This is really saddening even a little devastating. This is the first game community I've ever joined and took part in and now our lovely Adam is leaving. I know life goes on and things are forever changing but I don't want to see you leave or anyone else for that matter. I'll still wish you luck for the future but i'm not happy about it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I would like to thank Adam for everything he's done as well. I just love how weird and funny the videos have become, the huge dose of energy and positive mood he's put into everything. My personal opinion is that, even with a great community to take care of, being a Community Manager is possibly the most demanding job in the game industry and it is only logical that CMs need to take well-deserved rest after a time and seek new challenges.

We will miss Adam greatly - but I'm sure that we will find a worthy successor :) 

Thanks again, both Adam & Major General!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2