RedEagle_P1.

Why I no longer believe in Ylands

Posted (edited)

Hi guys,

As you may know I’ve been bringing a lot of people to this game and really encouraging them concerning what I believe the future of this game could be.

I’d bring in a lot of developers and I hype them up concerning what I believed would be the next big Minecraft/Roblox style game.

However, recent events made it very clear to me that the chances of the game succeeding at much lower than I had anticipated.

This game has had terrible player numbers for a long time now even as it went free to play. When comparing the trajectory of other games I noticed that when the developers fixed the game players came back.

Unfortunately, I worry that we are at the point of no return. A lot of people have told me that I’m really stupid to stay with Ylands such a long time but I wanted to give the developers the benefit of the doubt and now that I have and now that things have improved, not seeing the numbers of players significantly increase disproves my theory about the fixed game bringing in new people.

It seems to me that there are not enough players left after so many years of disastrous bugs to be significant advocates to get the game out there. Moreover, the extremely convoluted market in which markets this game is something like a PVP combat game and hides the best part of the game behind a DLC, makes it very hard for this game to get out there.https://steamcharts.com/cmp/298610,382310,648800#1m

ae1b3c4bf46ad08a4c02f025c9ec78e7.png

Comparing this game with similar games, such as a raft for example, you see a game that in my opinion is quite inferior but focussing on what it does best and improving that seemed to be the ideal strategy.

Moreover, when games like Eco listened to their community their community rewarded them with tons of new players.

I believe that if the development team had stayed focussed we would already have succeeded as a community.

In light of these events we will be transitioning P1 away from being focussed exclusively on Ylands.

P1 Ylands will be focussing on enjoying new games every week.

P1 Creators is seriously considering an invitation to be part of $120,000 competition to make games in Core Games. I’m not leading that part of things anymore so I will let them make the final decision. https://discord.gg/core-creators

For years now I’ve stuck it out with one of my favourite games of all time, Ylands. I think it’s only fair that when I leave I share a little bit about how I think this game can hit the target and succeed.

1. Focus on what you’re good at and let your marketing reflect that. Stop giving into the temptation to do new things until the old things are looking good.

2. Seek criticism and actually try to bring critics into the fold because they criticize you because they love what you’ve created.

3. Reward your creators and celebrate them.

This brings me to another point that I should bring up. I believe the Coyn monetization in this game is so bad that no creator could ever make a living wage.

Taking 30% upfront and about 66% on cash out is already a lot but requiring 250,000 Coyns to do so is just too high. No one has that many and no one has the prospect of getting that many. 

Also, just my opinion, you should offer more than 50,000 Coyns for the best construction, especially because the cash out level is so high that they would have to win five times to even be rewarded.

I understand this might work for Roblox but they bring millions of paying players to their creators.

As a creator community we have to deal with serious issues like being told we can publish our games on the workshop (and still enter them in the competition) and then right after we publish the games on the workshop that rule being changed.

The people that are here or not doing it for the money, therefore, they need to be able to trust that what you say is true. 

Edited by RedEagle_P1.
  • Downvote 2

Posted (edited)

Honestly wishing you and your team all the best. 

As I know posting here puts me in great peril ;), I will just say beforehand that my honored competitors have a great incentive to discredit what I say here (so people don't join us for competitions). However, they do reflect only a small subsection of a much larger community. Unfortunately after years of being ignored, downplayed and/or blamed for bugs most of that community had left this forum. 

Before you think what the say is run of the mill, let me share what the rest of the community thinks: 

maltedbacon >>
The is a lesson here if you compare Valheim to Ylands. They are very similar games using the same engine. Valheim shows how close Ylands came to a formula for success if they'd focused on exploration mode, but they missed the mark.

Ylands has a TON more detail in its crafting and building system. Ylands just didn't use its amazing assets to create a fun experience with broad appeal. They created knights and castles and numerous other potential foes and points of interest - but barely used any of them in exploration mode. - You might get lucky and find a knight's tower - but once you kill the knights and loot the tower - you're back to killing wolves for no real reason.

Valheim is a better game based on just a small number of details - better game stability, a quest line to drive player activity, more interesting and exciting things to do generally.

Simply put - Valheim's 5 person development team knows better than Bohemia what players want to do and they didn't try to accomplish too much all at once.

And they've succeeded where Ylands failed. 1 month after pre-release, Valheim has 4 million sales and 498,478 concurrent players. Ylands peaked at 5,540 and currently has about 100 players at any given time.

I've tried to engage with Bohemia through this subreddit from time to time, and you'll see I commented on many of your posts - trying to support your efforts to save Ylands. Trying to get them to put more active content in the game based on their existing resources. If you look at the Steam reviews - they reflect the reality - when popularity didn't hit expected levels Bohemia turned it into a cash grab. The first three reviews I just read on Steam had the words "cash grab" in them.

I failed to persuade my friends to play Ylands because the game doesn't seem very appealing from the confusing marketing and lack of focus. They didn't want to spend the money. So now we're all playing Valheim. It makes me sad.

Now that Bohemia has eroded the trust and enthusiasm of core players and content creators, it is too late to save the game. If they'd renamed, rebranded, rereleased and actually made exploration mode more fun and engaging with existing resources, and if they'd supported content creators like you - maybe they could have been Valheim.

Gandalfonk >>

100% agree. Valheim made me think of Ylands and all the things that went wrong. Bohemia was 100% up in their own asses, not listening to a word the community said, despite it being an early access title. You make excellent points and I couldn't agree more.

Vega >>

All i can say is that the dev team created a great game... the problem is that that just on the wrong track. Like red also mentioned, when they had to focus on the problems in the game they focused on total new stuff that was NOT needed at the time. Surely they must have seen that many stop playing after users reported and moan about critical game flaws (protection in world one off them) If i sit back and look at the route the game scattered left and right i get the idea that the dev's become bit "panic to save the game" get the idea that they fail bit to listen all the years to the player base.. else they would have fix the important parts off game and not add new senseless stuff on the wrong time.

I am with the game from start.. bought exploration but i must admit the dev's did fail to please me over the years with a just stable exploration gameplay. Stuff like be protected in this crazy grief infected world is more important as new fancy interfaces.. mobile gameplay... There are many more aspects they found not important to addressed after many players reported it.

I just hope the dev team pull up there socks and get this fantastic game BACK on track. This just by fixing the REAL stuff first NOW and add the glitter on the code later.

Good Luck Dev's

Edited by RedEagle_P1.
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

To me it sounds like you are salty that you didn't win as much as you thought you would in the competition despite knowing about it months ahead of everyone else. Your whole "creators club" is basically just a pyramid scheme. You didn't bring in "developers" to help the game, you brought them in so they could build all the games you release so you wouldn't have to do anything. They do all the work and build the games and you just sit back and take a cut of the winnings. From the beginning you have been trying to make as much money as you possibly can off of Ylands.

I also find it funny how you are saying they don't seek criticism when they have been. They have always been super active on the forums responding to all of our suggestions we give them and adding them into the game. 

• Like 2

Also on the whole seeking criticism thing, the last time I criticized P1 I got banned from all the P1 discords and you tried to get the Ylands team to remove all my posts 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

I like the  game ,  i see the improvements  .."when"  they arrive ,  but i am  just as confused  as others as to what they  expect the game to be.  is it  PVP combat?   Exploration?   Mini  games for  kids to play on mobiles  while waiting  for the school bus?  

But now that    Adam  as  gone  ( he  was to me ,  the captain of the  lifeboat we were hanging onto)_ where is the game going  to  go?   theres mention of  scripting ...   blah blah  blah ..  and other stuff that the players   obviously  dont want or  have interest in.

But   honestly .. theres   so  much  life blood   lost  over the last  few  years  that theres not  enough  in the veins  to  respond to  heart massage   or increased pulse.

Sadly,  i saw  a lot of  god players  try to help ...  and  end up  being  shafted  ..     so they  gave up .  

Also i think its  time for some people  to   put their  egos  in their  pockets  and  instead try to help the game  rather than attack  others   who  are trying to  help.

Over and out .  Flame   me if you wish ... it  wont  help the  game.

• Like 1

@RedEagle_P1. You know you can reply to me instead of editing posts right? If anyone is curious they can check the time between my first comment and how long ago his reply to the thread was edited. Anyways, I don't know why you think im a competitor... I don't run a competitor community, I don't moderate any competitor communities, I barely even talk in competitor communities. I also don't have any maps on the workshop. I have literally nothing to gain from discrediting you.  It seems like you are just saying that to discredit what im saying.

@kimbuck Why would I flame you? 

• Like 2

Shadow..   speaking  generally.    I should have made that clearer.... was  not  implying  you would  (  early  morning here and coffee  not soaked in yet).

In the past  when i  have made a  suggestion that  was for the good  of  all  i had  been  flamed .. but then   block  posts  is a useful  facility.  The fact that  i see your posts  indicates  it  didn't  involve  you  :) and  still doesn't

But i have  seen  several  gifted  players  who have offered  scripting ,  modded  maps  and other  enhancements ( that  gave the game what it  needed that the  devs  had  ignored )   get literally  shafted or  ignored or their  work  tossed aside.   With n o  explanation or  acknowledgement.

When i started this game  there were  12  plus players in a social  group  queued up  to get in to play as a group ...if you got  disconnected ..someone  else  took your place  and  you had to  queue up.  But that was then ..  then there was the  dark age that set in and i am now lucky  to see one other player  in the game.

Ylands has not  died ...yet... but it needs a MAJOR   relaunch with its  objectives  etc  highlighted...and a  pathway  set and  adhered to.  

We   have   hope .            One  day i might  win the  lottery  too!  ;)

• Like 2

Hi, I just wanted to say that we are still here and listening, but we are currently at a critical 1.6 update stage which takes a lot of time and with Adam gone we can't react/discuss things as much as we would like. However, I plan to talk about this in this Thursday's Dev Diary.

• Like 4

I think there’s points to be taken on both sides of the field here.

I think you could call me an ‘Indoctrinated Ylander’ but I am by no means blind to the cold facts presented by RedEagles statistics.

Valheim is a good example of what Ylands could (and should) have become if only there was more initial confidence to keeping it as a tight, quality sandbox survival game.

When I look at Valheim and it’s well deserved success I visualise a race between Valheim and Ylands. The only reason why Valheim has won is because Ylands got left behind tying its proverbial shoes.

This leads me to my next point; from my perspective, Ylands was created to function as a Survival Sandbox akin to Minecraft. So at what point and on what information was it decided to shift attention away from the original design in favour of a more niche and ambiguous direction?

I still enjoy Ylands and will always continue to play it. But I can’t help but look at Valheim and think “what if?”

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Deadeye_Rob said:

I think there’s points to be taken on both sides of the field here.

I think you could call me an ‘Indoctrinated Ylander’ but I am by no means blind to the cold facts presented by RedEagles statistics.

Valheim is a good example of what Ylands could (and should) have become if only there was more initial confidence to keeping it as a tight, quality sandbox survival game.

When I look at Valheim and it’s well deserved success I visualise a race between Valheim and Ylands. The only reason why Valheim has won is because Ylands got left behind tying its proverbial shoes.

This leads me to my next point; from my perspective, Ylands was created to function as a Survival Sandbox akin to Minecraft. So at what point and on what information was it decided to shift attention away from the original design in favour of a more niche and ambiguous direction?

I still enjoy Ylands and will always continue to play it. But I can’t help but look at Valheim and think “what if?”

I would just like to jump into this discussion to wholeheartedly agree with you. Especially the fifth paragraph ("This leads...") is something that I think about a lot in the past few years. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hello Guys!

I would say only that keep patience because after adam snellgrove gone everything is like terrible situation. Semeolon building was building in a critical situation in which thousands of bug came to ylands. I can't tell you how many bugs are there. I am confused if i made a big entity weld  there will be a problem and if we make small there will be also a problem. And Mr Redeagle i am also mad too find a great game.

Thank you

• Like 1

you should realize that ylands is primarily a platform for creating mini-games.the developers themselves have mentioned it several times. yes, discovery is a nice bonus, but if the game did not have an editor, it would have long since disappeared in a sea of similar games, which are focused primarily on another aspect... it is the editor and the system that allows you to create minigames is what makes this game exceptional...

and what about your group. I was a member for about half a year. and what did i find out? yes, you have a lot of members on the discord, but on average only 20 players out of the total are really involved in the game.
what next? Your first and probably only one priority is and was to make money on this game. every step you took was directed towards this goal.
you cry that asking for 250,000 coins is a lot of  .. I'm not surprised that it's a lot for you when you run almost a few dozen servers that are most of the time empty .. 
you made very good videos, from which I also learned something. but from one  while you only make videos in which you are constantly complaining about something .. I don't understand why. do you expect that this will bring new players ??? if so, you were wrong.. 

and whether you take it as a discredit or something, I don't care. I have only expressed my personal opinion here, which I do not impose on anyone..

• Like 1

"you should realize that ylands is primarily a platform for creating mini-games"

Well, according to the  original  road map and  original game,  this was not indicated, and  was the  main reason  why many of us were attracted here.

If this is now the direction,  perhaps the  devs  should  admit so ...and  then concentrate  on them   so those of us  who believed in the original exploration concept  will  not be  lead down the wrong  path lined with promises ...and  go find another game that suits what we  wanted from the original.

When i look at  screenshots  from the  beginning , with that single  island and  a title   exclaiming  what the game was about ..... well   its  obviously  there's  been a  switch in directions ...and  we were kept in the  dark.

Again,  we  hope the  next  1.6  update brings people  back   ...but  from the  comments   by  those who  tried to help and  got  burnt.... and the  ex players i contacted ( who are in other  mp games and  enjoying them)  who say  they wont  come back ...its  a  very steep  uphill battle they now  have.

Everyone is  entitled to an  opinion   :)      .. they are like  "posteriors" ... everyone  has one,  but they are  generally   used to sit on ........  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, kimbuck said:

"you should realize that ylands is primarily a platform for creating mini-games"

Well, according to the  original  road map and  original game,  this was not indicated, and  was the  main reason  why many of us were attracted here.

I was one of them! 😛

For further evidence that the player base enjoy survival over mini games you need only look at the server lists.

The World of Dreams servers always have at least one of their maps fully populated at any time of the day.

On a positive note, I cannot overstate the good that 1.5 brought to Ylands. The momentum needs to be maintained however. The goodie packs are a good start and I really look forward to what 1.6 will bring.

I also think that whilst this isn’t the best thread title to debate under, I do think this sort of respectable discussion is great for debating the direction of the game in the opinions of its fan base.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

I'm not commenting, arguing, discussing same again. Red, you have some good points and others meh. But as I said Im not going through this again. I barely read your post and I did not read any abswer. This kind of posts are not healthy for any one of us and ylands....

My mental health comes first.

Back then, i started to play ylands again because of P1...

if I understood correctly P1 is leaving ylands, and if so, i just want to leave a thanks for those Ive met and helped me, and also for those who Ive helped also a thanks because I like to help.

It was really fun times, but sometimes life doesnt go as we expect.

That said, bye and thanks.

Edited by jchob
  • Upvote 2

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, kimbuck said:

If this is now the direction,  perhaps the  devs  should  admit so ...and  then concentrate  on them   so those of us  who believed in the original exploration concept  will  not be  lead down the wrong  path lined with promises ...and  go find another game that suits what we  wanted from the original.

When i look at  screenshots  from the  beginning , with that single  island and  a title   exclaiming  what the game was about ..... well   its  obviously  there's  been a  switch in directions ...and  we were kept in the  dark.

Again,  we  hope the  next  1.6  update brings people  back   ...but  from the  comments   by  those who  tried to help and  got  burnt.... and the  ex players i contacted ( who are in other  mp games and  enjoying them)  who say  they wont  come back ...its  a  very steep  uphill battle they now  have.

Everyone is  entitled to an  opinion   :)      .. they are like  "posteriors" ... everyone  has one,  but they are  generally   used to sit on ........  

Actually the original roadmap always had editor support in the plans. Here's a roadmap from 2015, which is around 2 years before the e3 trailer that brought many of us here. https://ylands.com/news/ylands-development-roadmap

"We see Ylands as a game, but we also see it as a platform to create, explore and share. We plan to dedicate our efforts not only to built-in Create and Survive scenarios, but also to the platform itself. We want players to be able to create a custom game within Ylands, where they can modify anything about the world, giving them more and more control over every aspect of the game until they are not bound anymore by any specific built-in game type. In the future we plan to focus on many different areas in order to increase the scale and versatility of the game. Here is the list of a few key features we want to add to the experience in the coming months and years:"

Edited by Shadow72

ok, just a few words... i knew i couldnt stay quiet, you are all killing me!

ok, we bought the game because of survival and just some time after i noticed there was a thing called editor. 

I never seen a promise or anything that states "ylands is just a survival game" and "expect only survival to get updates'. Exploration had fixings, as fast as everyone wanted? Everything everyone wanted? No, but it got updates.

Many updates ago, we noticed they took the Editor way, but they never broke any survival promise because BI HAS NEVER PROMISED YLANDS IS JUST A SURVIVAL GAME.

that being said, all must accept the fact they went for Editor. AND THAT'S IT. STOP THIS FUCKING NON SENSE POSTS about exploration this, exploration that, bug this, bug that, competiton this, competion that. For the God sake! If i was a moderator i would not allow this situation. Think whatever you want about me. Thats rigth, im criticizing the forum whole community, inclding me, because you took me to a way that i cannot stand beein around anymore.

This stupid topic(s) has been around for enough time. This is just not anymore fun. This is not anymore a "give opinion". This is just so irritating that people start fights beteween people I like from both sides. You all are taking down ylands unconsiously. Please let it go, for me and ylands. Erase everything and lets go back to the point where forum was fun to come by.

I know i cannot no longer erase those words after this is said. Sadly, i had to say this. Im sorry all.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, jchob said:

ok, just a few words... i knew i couldnt stay quiet, you are all killing me!

ok, we bought the game because of survival and just some time after i noticed there was a thing called editor. 

I never seen a promise or anything that states "ylands is just a survival game" and "expect only survival to get updates'. Exploration had fixings, as fast as everyone wanted? Everything everyone wanted? No, but it got updates.

Many updates ago, we noticed they took the Editor way, but they never broke any survival promise because BI HAS NEVER PROMISED YLANDS IS JUST A SURVIVAL GAME.

that being said, all must accept the fact they went for Editor. AND THAT'S IT. STOP THIS FUCKING NON SENSE POSTS about exploration this, exploration that, bug this, bug that, competiton this, competion that. For the God sake! If i was a moderator i would not allow this situation. Think whatever you want about me. Thats rigth, im criticizing the forum whole community, inclding me, because you took me to a way that i cannot stand beein around anymore.

This stupid topic(s) has been around for enough time. This is just not anymore fun. This is not anymore a "give opinion". This is just so irritating that people start fights beteween people I like from both sides. You all are taking down ylands unconsiously. Please let it go, for me and ylands. Erase everything and lets go back to the point where forum was fun to come by.

I know i cannot no longer erase those words after this is said. Sadly, i had to say this. Im sorry all.

It sounds like things are really getting to you, I would avoid convos if they get to you; you will be tempted to reply if you read. Take a break and don't worry and just play and enjoy. 

Please don't misunderstand me, I love Ylands, I am just stepping out because of the bad player numbers which I don't see getting better (for whatever reason). I am a community builder and I can't keep investing my time into a game with so few players, that's not a knock on the game.

Edited by RedEagle_P1.
  • Downvote 1

I love the game, here from the start... but!!!!

The game is SINKING FAST like the graph showing us. Even Adam moved on (wont ask why he left). All users here are just in PANIC of what is happening to a old game they played and enjoy. We all just want to help, want answers. For sure i did not buy the game that time as a minigame madness, i don't like mini games :) I saw Exploration.. sailing and build and crafting.

But remarks like this from the lead of the dev team... naah you not important my gamers... i dont have even 10min to talk to you all... This is the attitude that let the game be where its now. Stuff like protection was an issue from the start.. many complaint 24/7 over it but they spend there "important time" on other not so important updates... better ui but players grief each other, disappearing ships.. LOW FPS gameplay.

Hi, I just wanted to say that we are still here and listening, but we are currently at a critical 1.6 update stage which takes a lot of time and with Adam gone we can't react/discuss things as much as we would like. However, I plan to talk about this in this Thursday's Dev Diary.  "

The game is sinking like the Titanic, players upset in chats, here and Steam reviews but they still have the cheek to tell the community.. naah we dont have 5min to type to you we will do it ONLY Thursday.

Well its your game and income, think its time to open your eyes and ears... The community is upset... I bought a survival game.. not mini game, not a mobile game.... If you on that route tell me now and i uninstall this "directionless game" from my steam account!!!

PST. i dont program in a game i enjoy survival.. why is "scripting update" more important for us explorers. Please listen to >>all<< your player base!

Please give Updated Roadmap.. think your "tiny" player base are confused!!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Posted (edited)
Just now, Vega3221 said:

All users here are just in PANIC of what is happening to a old game they played and enjoy.

I'm not sure what panic you are referencing. The player numbers have been the same for like 2 years. The decline of this game is not news really. Discussions/rant forums like this pop up every few months or so.

As for my opinion of why this game had potential to begin with, it was the survival aspect in combination with the superior building mechanics you can find in the editor. In most exploration/survival games, the building mechanics are very basic and restrictive. Currently, this game lets me build pretty advanced stuff and package them in a blueprint for use in exploration. I never really cared much for the game making features in the editor, and I find it bizarre that the devs chose to prioritize that aspect of the game amid constant complaints from the people who play their game. I also don't think we've got much to show for it. None of the games out there will make people want to buy this game. The seller has always been exploration.

I really think the devs made poor, systemic mistakes for years in ignoring player feedback, and digging themselves deeper into a niche most people aren't interested in. Then there was the whole mobile debacle... Making the game more niche shockingly didn't bring more poeple in to the game, so I guess let's make Ylands a mobile game cause that's where the money is? Truly bizarre.

Ironically, I actually think if you made the mobile version of the game an exploration game akin to the dlc, you'd get heaps of players. But no, let's restrict it to tiny community made tech demos. I mean who makes these decisions?

Edited by zarwil
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I still don't understand what kind of decline everyone is talking about here ???? when I look at the table, I see +/- the same number of players. when the game is released and the 1.0 update is released, there are two significant increments, but otherwise the number is almost always the same..(+/-) I also don't understand what your problems are with the survey .. didn't you like that the maps were small, when they added the opportunity to travel the world and exponentially increase the possibility of discovery, you don't like it again .. that the game has technical problems? please show me a game that has no technical problems..
you are talking about FPS. I didn't study any computer school, but I can understand that with the possibilities of building what kind of ylands have, in comparison with games like su minecraft, it simply cannot be compared.if you would like to compare it, try to download a skin block to Minecraft and then you understand what I am talking about..
and for error correction. We reported a few dozen bugs with my friends over the course of half a year, and I didn't count it exactly, but the developers certainly fixed more than 70% of them. and I note that these were not just errors from the editor!
and now a little to the last period. surely you all know that the problem with covid is not just a problem of your country, but it is a problem worldwide. it is not different in the Czech Republic either. nevertheless, they ran the contest with the creator, and continued to work on update 1.5.
I'll ask you one more question .. do you think tencent bought a percentage of the ylands for any exploration game? really??? :D 

I don't want to strictly defend the developers, because I still think that they also made mistakes, but everyone makes mistakes, and I believe that they, like many others, can learn from those mistakes.

but the claim that the game dying is a lie. the curve added by the author of the article himself also testified to this!!!

The rest of you, but especially the author of this thread, is trying to move the editor to the second place, while the author of the article himself has in the multiplayer lobby ONLY games created in the editor, including the game of discovery... its funny..   :D:D:D

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Vega3221 said:

I love the game, here from the start... but!!!!

The game is SINKING FAST like the graph showing us. Even Adam moved on (wont ask why he left). All users here are just in PANIC of what is happening to a old game they played and enjoy. We all just want to help, want answers. For sure i did not buy the game that time as a minigame madness, i don't like mini games :) I saw Exploration.. sailing and build and crafting.

But remarks like this from the lead of the dev team... naah you not important my gamers... i dont have even 10min to talk to you all... This is the attitude that let the game be where its now. Stuff like protection was an issue from the start.. many complaint 24/7 over it but they spend there "important time" on other not so important updates... better ui but players grief each other, disappearing ships.. LOW FPS gameplay.

you realize that Aleš is not here to play or talk with us. the community manager has left.they have a lot of other worries about buying and selling percent for Tencent. 
why he should respond to this thread, which is not constructive. You'd better let him do his job, and if you have a specific problem with the game, report the problem to the thread for problems, and I'm sure if it's a real problem, someone will respond.

On 3/4/2021 at 7:25 AM, zarwil said:

I really think the devs made poor, systemic mistakes for years in ignoring player feedback, and digging themselves deeper into a niche most people aren't interested in. Then there was the whole mobile debacle... Making the game more niche shockingly didn't bring more poeple in to the game, so I guess let's make Ylands a mobile game cause that's where the money is? Truly bizarre.

Right this is what I was trying to say and I hope they still succeed but it’s the sort of thing that’s really making it very hard for the game which is a gem to hit the target.

i’ll be here if the game takes off but for now I am moving on and moving on so far is working well for our community.

4 hours ago, RedEagle_P1. said:

(...) I hope they still succeed but (...)

You have to pardon me here, but you're not acting accordingly to that statement.

You are indisputably a major influencer regarding Ylands. Yet you made arguably "click-baity" video about "dying game". That video does not provoke any discussion and does not seem very constructive. The only thing it does is that it reinforces this belief which is not very healthy for the game. Even if you're departing (which nobody can stop you from doing and may be understandable), it's not a very "classy" au-revoir from your part. 

Howgh. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Miguel Preguisa said:

You have to pardon me here, but you're not acting accordingly to that statement.

You are indisputably a major influencer regarding Ylands. Yet you made arguably "click-baity" video about "dying game". That video does not provoke any discussion and does not seem very constructive. The only thing it does is that it reinforces this belief which is not very healthy for the game. Even if you're departing (which nobody can stop you from doing and may be understandable), it's not a very "classy" au-revoir from your part. 

Howgh. 

I think you misunderstand me. It's not that I don't like the game, I love the game but I don’t believe it has a real future anymore. Here is why: 

1) The development team lost focus on what’s important. This caused the players to go away from the game in large numbers and creates a real word-of-mouth problem. When there are not enough people talking about the game then when the updates come out it's hard to actually market them. 

2) The development team doesn't internalize critical feedback sufficiently. Namely, the community was complaining about explore issues for years. Going back and fixing explore before 1.0 release would have been ideal. That way the community would have felt heard and they would be on board for a longer-term deal with more changes. (For those who don't know the server issues where there at EA launch 2017 and are similar now). 

3) The lack of focus from the team comes out in the marketing causing a lot of issues: 
-- Players come thinking the game is a PVP game

-- Unfortunately my experience in making PVP games in Ylands is extensive and the lag makes it a sub-par PVP game:

I was wondering why I was winning constantly but it turned out it was only because I was a host and I saw the enemy and responded before they could shoot back. 

So it's not a good PVP game and we all kind of know that but what is it about? Explore.

That's what this game has to offer that it excels at. None of the mini-games are good enough for people to commit to this game yet. Even games like Tiny Sea (which Spyler did a good job on) are not good enough to be worth it over simple app-base games. Remember these app-based games were not big a thing during the early days of Roblox. Now any Roblox clone needs to compete with the app store. 

However, the servers are doing terrible and server-based explore requires frequent wipes and resets. 

So of those who find the game, most will play PVP-style games and leave. Of those who find explore servers, most will have their progress wiped (3 years of this). Of those who find out the DLC is where its at, only some will afford it. 

2021-03-05_141451.png.9eb2ed2685d968c2dcf2bf75a2fedf1f.png

I came here because I know a lot of people believe in this vision because of me. The video was not meant to provoke discussion on a constructive solution but to say I no longer believe in this vision and if you are here because of me, I am out, I think it's chances are too low (30%) because of the above issues. I am not mad, salty or personal about any of it. I posted here because of a lot of people read this forum from P1. 

That said, I really do wish it well. I wish everyone who wants to support it well. Maybe I will be back if players play it one day! But not now. 

Edited by RedEagle_P1.
  • Upvote 1