Aleš Ulm

Dev Diary #169 Come talk to us

Hey there, fellow ylanders.

Hopefully, this will be the last Dev Diary before we release update 1.6. 

Not that long ago, I (Аles, Ylands Project Lead) was in Naru‘s Tuesday stream and tried to answer as many questions (both asked in advance and during the stream itself) as possible. If you‘re interested in learning more about what we discussed, you can take a look here  (huge thanks to the incredible @ocnoglittle). It was great and we would like to continue doing this on the regular basis every two weeks. So, if you have any questions, comments or criticism, you‘re welcome to join next Tuesday‘s stream here.

With 1.6 almost out of the door, it‘s time to start talking about what‘s next for Ylands. In a few weeks, we plan to release a roadmap for the rest of the year but I think we can already give you a rough idea about what 1.7 will be about.

Ylands_4x_210325_104542.jpg

Update 1.7 will once again, focus on Exploration. We are slowly getting to a stage where we feel good enough about the Exploration experience, and can actively start bringing in more players. And to make that a reality,  with update 1.7, we would like to focus on:

* giving Exploration gameplay some sort of progression, with a clear path/goals to follow
* making it more friendly & welcoming towards new players
* making it easier for players to socialize there
* add some sort of Exploration "trial" for those who may wish to see, what is the new Exploration about
* bringing in more interesting, unique handcrafted ylands to make exploring much more fun and rewarding
* fixing / improving some of the things mentioned by the community on a regular basis

But our Editor team will definitely keep working as well. You can expect further improvements to text scripting, many quality-of-life improvements as well as enhancement of existing features.

That‘s it for today and the next time we will talk some more about 1.7. Until then stay healthy and classy, ylanders!

• Like 10

4 hours ago, Aleš Ulm said:

(huge thanks to the incredible @ocnoglittle)

Yes! @ocnoglittle is awesome!

I am absolutely loving the look of the  high terrain in that pic. Soooo much better than the standard old island formations. Does this mean we can expect mountains to be making a comeback in later maps?

• Like 1

Gameplay progression and goals. I hope these will be optional. Part od what I like about Ylands is the openess it has. I think optional missions are fine, but if not, I will probably leave exploration altogether and just build in editor. The game is pretty much just a building platform for me now.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

@spiritchaser28 What you see in the screenshot was created in the editor (it's one of the custom maps). But it's true that we are currently working on improving the terrain generator to be able to create more interesting landscapes (but I can promise that this will be present already in 1.7).

@bojo2736 I think you don't need to worry about that :) We're not trying to force players into doing something they wouldn't want to do. If anything, freedom and exploration (so, sandbox game features in general) are what we want to strengthen. The progression we talk about will be more of a side-effect of the things you already do in the game than making you do something very specific and not-fitting in the game just for the sake of completing a task. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nice update

I thing now i thought that  Creators can make exploration custom maps by the way Every Dev Dairy is confiming that custom exploration maps as much island creators want to add For FREE!!!!!!!!!.

I think Ylands will broke record of Roblox(an Nothing game but a very difficult game). And alsi Will the Maps be made by players.

I have some questions  regarding the future Updates.

1. Can there be another type of transportation?

2. Can there be fishes and an ecosystem>

3. Can we touch the water.

4. Can we water Plants

5. Is there a possiblity of making custom exploration map with custom islands for FREE

6. Will Ylands Support MODS.

7. If there is a chance to travel between Server to Server in Multiplayer mods in 1.5 exploration map.

8. Will we will editing the new system of Exploration in EDITOR.

These are the question that i must ask from ALES ULM.

Thank you.

Have you played since 1.5? Because the travel thing already exists.

And custom maps is LITERALLY the free option.

• Like 2

I have played but the problem is The Custom Islands Producer tool must be added. And there must be a option island editing such as we can spawn tree multiple at a time and like brush size and what type of resource, Tree plants or animals you want to spawn at a time.

Custom stuff is created in the editor. Once you launch it, you cant change it. This IS  the free option.

• Like 1

Great news guys! I look forward to the update!

I also loved the in-game recording studio on your last twitch interview!

With regards to an overarching exploration objective, I like this idea. I was very drawn in to solving the ritual random encounter! Stuff like that but on a bigger scale would be great! Maybe even some rewards for completing things?

• Like 2