JohnMFSteel

Prop pack thoughts

I really like the canister changing colors and overheating as a timer. 
10 seconds is a good fly time for most things, but I think an upgrade to get an additional 5 sec or so might be nice in the future. Maybe an upgrade that makes a parachute deploy if you overheat at high altitude?

I'd love to hear everybody else's thoughts on it :D

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Well a parachute would be pointless since you sort of hover back to the ground anyhow. I do believe though that 10 seconds might be too short a flight time for most people. I was thinking maybe increase the flight time to at least 30 seconds to allow people to get pretty high and look around and have a bit more time to think about where you are going to land. A lot of people complaining about it use it a lot for traveling, but I believe having it overheat gives it some balance....but I will agree with everyone that the time is a bit too short, so maybe allowing upgrades to increase the time would make everybody happy, maybe 2 upgrades. One for 30 second flight and another for a minutes worth of flight.  It might just be easier to have  options for crafting a few different packs, sort of like the difference between an Iron air tank and a zirconium air tank. Just make the longer lasting propeller pack more expensive to make than the other. (zirconium propeller pack, and Guardian level propeller pack....anybody like this idea?)

I sort of knew some people would get upset if they took away unlimited flight time, but I believe in exploration maps it is a necessity to limit it. People will disagree with me here but I try to look at it from a new player's perspective. I would not like it much if I were a new player that knew absolutely nothing about propeller packs to spend a few days building a ship and supplies to travel and finally make it to a multiplayer map that is PVP and suddenly be killed by some griefers flying way above me. With limited flight it at least brings those griefers back down to a level where you can either attempt to fight back or flee.

I think a lot of the complaints I hear about it though involve building things, but with the building table you basically can "fly" around your build as an option while you are building for an unlimited amount of time, even though technically you are just standing at the table and still can be in danger of attack.

Somebody said today that it took away all the fun by limiting the propeller pack. I suppose some people have a different definition of fun than me. I prefer being challenged. If I can just fly around all day and not worry about any challenges, then it's no fun at all. Yes I know as some people have said, "You don't have to build a propeller pack at all if you really want the challenge"....I like flying as much as anybody, but I also like the challenge of thinking on my toes about where to land. Basically If a person wants to play with unlimited flight they can go to sandbox or have an editor made random legacy map and give themselves a cube and just fly around without any challenges....I don't  personally see the fun in that but some people like it I suppose.....so if that's what you want then there's your option.

So In short, I like the propeller pack being limited in exploration, but I agree that it needs a bit longer duration in the air.

Edited by spiritchaser28
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

So my thought with a parachute is that it could allow you to cool down and start flying again without landing.

As for the duration increase personally I would consider 30 seconds a maximum of what the flight time should be. The pack makes you quite fast as well as giving you the ability to fly. With just the 10 seconds we currently have, I'm able to fly up and get a good view of most ylands before being forced down.
I do agree that variants would be just as good as upgrades. However upgrade paths for items could help keep the density of the item catalog in check.

Also what about a pack with a glider attached. get up to altitude, retract rotor, and deploy wings. Then away you go!

Edited by JohnMFSteel
adding after thought
  • Like 1

I love the idea of a glider. I also love the idea of having a hot air balloon or blimp attachment for ship bases. But that's probably a long way off.

I approve of the propeller pack nerf.

I do however think that the 10 second limit Should be extended via progression crafting.

My suggestion would be to utilise Ylandium Power Packs. When held in the players inventory, they would grant additional seconds. Once all of them in the players inventory depletes, then down you glide!

• Upvote 1

They are addressing this in the next hotfix, according to Ales. I like the idea of power packs also. Full pack could give an additional minute, small battery could give an additional 10 seconds or something of that nature.  You could also get full charge from charging stations. They have a system similar to this in Journey for the 12 Kingdoms and it works fine in my opinion. If you could top it off like the mining drill or scuba tanks n your inventory it would be an awesome fix.

I also like the propeller pack nerf, but I guess the consensus is 50 percent like it, 50 percent do not. No matter what Bohemia decides to do, I'm certain somebody is going to be unhappy and somebody is going to be thrilled. It's a double edged sword.

I like the nerf, yeah maybe it's abit too short..I think 15 to 20 secs would be a good amount..but I'm good with it how ever it is..now it's more of a tool to get out of sticky situations for me rather than a cheap and fast way to cheese travel..

• Like 1