Sign in to follow this  
Jstuts

Problems using blueprint camera

The blueprint camera is virtually unusable now and was almost unusable before this latest update. First, with the now-handicapped propeller pack, it is difficult to take the time to set your second coordinate before the propeller pack runs out. Second, setting the two points is grossly inaccurate. The points set can be a dozen units off from where I was standing/flying. I find it impossible to capture any building at all. 

• Upvote 1

For me, it is so much easier to use the blueprint camera in first person mode (press C) because the little dot in the middle of the screen shows where the box is going to start/end when I click the mouse button. Hopefully that helps a little!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Thank you, ocnoglittle. I will try that. Like so many other things in this game, I find no documentation as to how to do things. I never even knew it mattered which way I was looking, so I assumed that where I was standing was the key.

But I have a further question now. I am assuming that the first point is a lower corner of the structure, or the ground at that corner, and the second point is the opposite upper corner. But often there is no block up there to focus on, at the point that would enclose the whole structure. So should I first make a block up there? Is there something else I am missing?

Oh, if only there was much better documentation for us everyday mortals.

Oh! Now I find that the process involves THREE steps. First look at the point for the first coordinate, and click. Then, second, run around to the opposite corner and look at the appropriate point to form a selected rectangle (the selection image follows you as you go) on the ground. Click that point. (Disregard the false prompt that says you are FINNISHING the selection, because there is another step to go.) Third, look up to make the selection image go up, or fly up to provide some limit as to how high the selection goes upward (maybe it doesn't matter if it goes up to infinity). Click a third time. Then confirm the selection and name the blueprint.

There, I hope that the developers will take the above language, if correct, and add it to the Wiki entry to assist others like me who want to play the game, rather than spend a lot of time figuring everything out.

Edited by Jstuts

The codex (Press F1 in the game or go to https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Ylands_Codex_Main) isn't that bad and provides documentation about a lot of aspects of the game. 😅  It didn't have all these details about what each click is doing but I tried to add it to the fandom wiki for the game: https://ylands.fandom.com/wiki/Blueprints. If any information about the game is missing from these two resources, hopefully you can get any remaining questions answered here.

• Like 1

Thanks again ocnoglittle. Yes the wiki documentation is improved and very useful. I realize that I am not all that patient about figuring things out; one of my characteristics. And somehow, although I did look up Blueprint Camera at the wiki, it never occurred to me to look up Blueprints! Duh! The Codex information is still not very helpful.

But once again, THANK YOU!!! It is people like you to help me that keeps me playing this game.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

@Yo HasLEGO has also created a very useful palette for creating blueprints with editor. It contains everything that is allowed in blueprints. It's slightly off the topic of using the camera, but I think it's a very helpful tool for creating blueprints.

Edited by spiritchaser28
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1