TE5LA

DEV ANSWER [Bug] Dedicated Server Issues

Question

I don't play the single player mode, only on my dedicated server. There are many bugs that prevents being sold on the game so far. I understand it is in Alpha but I feel certain things should have been resolved by this point.

1) You die of starvation when you're logged out. I pointed this out before and was told it is a known bug. Very important to fix this.

2) Pieces are too difficult to place. It's very hard to build any type of decent house. The pieces just won't snap where you want them to, even if it is a legitimate position, you just can't get things to line up. You should consider a "blueprint" type system for some more complex objects like houses where you gather all the materials needed, click a blueprint and place a fully built structure.

3) I have 3 players who once joined my server (days ago) and disconnected (according to my Server Monitor) and are still on my map, just standing at the spawn point. Player's avatars are not being removed after they disconnect.

4) The audio/video sync is way off when chopping trees. The sound occurs way before the animation. I have over 120 fps too.

5) Server Monitor is itself very confusing. Clicking "Start" does not start the server. I'm not sure what it does, but the server won't start until you click "Host A Game". The "Restart" doesn't seem to work either. You can't create a server name in the monitor. You create a name, but it isn't used for the server. You have to start a single player game and edit the default name, then quit, copy the file from the Documents/.../...Ylands subfolder, move it to your server, and use that. It's awkward at best.

If this were a project by a small Indie company, some of these things could possibly be overlooked, buy Bohemia Interactive is hardly a newcomer in developing games.

For me, the game is unplayable in its current state and I could not recommend it to anyone.

• Downvote 1

12 replies to this bug / suggestion

Thanks for your feedback! We know that we still have a lot of work to do when it comes to the dedicated servers. We are continuosly working on it and we'll keep doing so in the following months :)

Just out of curiosity, why don't you play in Singleplayer mode? Most of the issues present in the dedicated servers are not there in SP.

3 minutes ago, Ane said:

Thanks for your feedback! We know that we still have a lot of work to do when it comes to the dedicated servers. We are continuosly working on it and we'll keep doing so in the following months :)

Just out of curiosity, why don't you play in Singleplayer mode? Most of the issues present in the dedicated servers are not there in SP.

Mainly because I can't stand single player games. Multiplayer is the reason computer games were created. Otherwise, why not just read a book?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

I see, so it's your personal preference, I thought it had something to do with you not liking something in Ylands in particular :)

1 hour ago, Ane said:

I see, so it's your personal preference, I thought it had something to do with you not liking something in Ylands in particular :)

I can only agree multiplayer is 1000 times more fun. Single player to me feels like just a "tech demo", which in all honestly feels like the current state of the game to me (which is absolutely nothing weird or to be ashamed off seeing it's early in early access). I believe the E3 has hyped a lot of people and maybe has raised expectations a little bit too high, however E3 is a yearly event so waiting one more year would've been to long. I also think that if you want to get a lot of sales, having a working MP will definitely sort that. Having a friend that already plays Ylands is a great way to roll into it. My attempts at baiting my friends have mainly failed due to not being able to get them on my server and show them the basics of the game. I still recommend the game to my friends all the time, but more for the huge potential it has, not for the great playability at the moment.

Regarding the server issues, I believe next update we will get some much needed improvements, there will be a toggle for keeping players online (which does work good in games like rust for example) or simply have players despawn when offline. This would also make using keys on chests/doors a lot safer :) 

Adrie

Edited by WijkagentAdrie

Also the game hasn't had an update in nearly two months.. I understand that the car thing is getting worked on, but there's so many other bugs and features that need work on that could be addressed in the mean time I am sure?

Don't get me wrong the game is fun, but there's loads of things that need improving, multiplayer bugs, items, crafting, the animal glitches, had so much fun a few months back playing, even bought 3 extra copies for my friends to play, just hope this doesn't end up being one of those games with potential that is forgotten about in a few months down the line or a year.

7 hours ago, WijkagentAdrie said:

This would also make using keys on chests/doors a lot safer :) 

Adrie

Doors? Where are doors? I've never found them in the crafting.

I don't see much fun in a sandbox game where you just eat and pick up things and craft stuff for single player. It would have to be a game that has specific goals to achieve, solving quests, completing a story, etc. The people who should be playing single player games are the ones in survival games who just want to kill others on sight.

I'll suggest what I have in other forums of new survival-type games: If this game is to "survive", it needs to concentrate on multi-player, specifically on dedicated servers. Look at any older game that has survived through the years and you'll usually find they have a successful dedicated server community. After EA and GameSpy bailed out on many of their games and removed master servers, many of them were revived by fans who figured out how to keep dedicated servers online.

There is a new survival game coming that I'm really jazzed about and it appears to have a very competent dedicated server component.

Edited by TE5LA
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Single Player games are the best in my opinion, I love them dearly, and am not interested in multiplayer games... I speak to many people during the day for 8 to 10 hours, like to come home and have a nice easy and chill time in single player.... A lot of gamers have preference and this game is giving you an option to play single player or multipllayer and it's the experience you create, I don't multiplayer to have fun... 

There are iron doors and wood doors that you can craft. If you go to crafting and search door they should show up.... 

9 hours ago, Dirtyefenhairy said:

Also the game hasn't had an update in nearly two months.. I understand that the car thing is getting worked on, but there's so many other bugs and features that need work on that could be addressed in the mean time I am sure?

Don't get me wrong the game is fun, but there's loads of things that need improving, multiplayer bugs, items, crafting, the animal glitches, had so much fun a few months back playing, even bought 3 extra copies for my friends to play, just hope this doesn't end up being one of those games with potential that is forgotten about in a few months down the line or a year.

You're right, this update is taking longer than what we'd like to, but we believe it's better to spend extra time really shaping the feature the way we want it to work (I'm talking specifically about the cars here) than releasing something half-done. And we're not working on the cars only, this update brings a lot of improvements and fixes that were needed, you'll see :) Also, while the people responsible for the cars work on it, the rest of the team is working on other features/the next update.

But I understand what you mean, and we can guarantee you that we're not gonna let the game fall into oblivion, we'll keep working on it for many years :) And your feedback is really needed for the game to get better and better! So thank you for that. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Hurricane43 said:

Single Player games are the best in my opinion, I love them dearly, and am not interested in multiplayer games... I speak to many people during the day for 8 to 10 hours, like to come home and have a nice easy and chill time in single player.... A lot of gamers have preference and this game is giving you an option to play single player or multipllayer and it's the experience you create, I don't multiplayer to have fun... 

There are iron doors and wood doors that you can craft. If you go to crafting and search door they should show up.... 

Everyone has their own preferences and I respect yours. May have something to do with the differences in age or how we were brought up. I grew up long before home computers when games were cards and board games. I used to play the war games by Avalon Hill and SSI. These were hardcore board games with giant boards about 3-feet square and hundreds of hexes on the board. A single game with two players often took several days to complete, that is, if you could keep the board from getting turned over during this time. When computers came and RTS games appeared, I thought it was great. Now I could play these games in real-time, not turn-based like board games. It's the reason I despise turn-based strategy now (with the exception of Moonbase Commander). And those game I could play single-player, but sandbox MMOs just don't offer the same challenges for SP mode and I see them more as social games.

Aside from this, games should offer both options, I'm just saying that MP is more important and should be priority in development. What SP computer games do you know of that are still popular after 10 years or so?

Edited by TE5LA
  • Downvote 1

Adding to MP problems, the dedicated server isn't stable at all. I just tried logging in and it reaches 100% download and goes no farther. Just keeps scrolling the funny phrases at the top. This happened the other day too. The server monitor shows no errors or anything unusual, but you have to kill the server and start all over to make it work.

Could it be, since the server is set to allow four players and it never logs players out when they disconnect, that I can't login because the server thinks there are four player on?

Edited by TE5LA
  • Downvote 1

15 hours ago, TE5LA said:

Doors? Where are doors? I've never found them in the crafting.

I don't see much fun in a sandbox game where you just eat and pick up things and craft stuff for single player. It would have to be a game that has specific goals to achieve, solving quests, completing a story, etc. The people who should be playing single player games are the ones in survival games who just want to kill others on sight.

I'll suggest what I have in other forums of new survival-type games: If this game is to "survive", it needs to concentrate on multi-player, specifically on dedicated servers. Look at any older game that has survived through the years and you'll usually find they have a successful dedicated server community. After EA and GameSpy bailed out on many of their games and removed master servers, many of them were revived by fans who figured out how to keep dedicated servers online.

There is a new survival game coming that I'm really jazzed about and it appears to have a very competent dedicated server component.

The crafting menu/recipe list is gonna get a big overhaul as well, should all be better.

36 minutes ago, TE5LA said:

Adding to MP problems, the dedicated server isn't stable at all. I just tried logging in and it reaches 100% download and goes no farther. Just keeps scrolling the funny phrases at the top. This happened the other day too. The server monitor shows no errors or anything unusual, but you have to kill the server and start all over to make it work.

Could it be, since the server is set to allow four players and it never logs players out when they disconnect, that I can't login because the server thinks there are four player on?

Nah it's got to do with your map I believe, it becomes glitched. I'm renting a dedicated server but decided to just shut off  until next patch since it's not reliable. Just give the devs a few more weeks and the game is gonna be so much more enjoyable already :) 

Also I'm not 100% sure why you took some -rep, I agree that you sound kinda harsh/direct with your comments but they are all fair and true to be honest.

Anyways I think we should all wait, within a few months this game is gonna be absolutely awesome :) 

Adrie

14 hours ago, WijkagentAdrie said:

Also I'm not 100% sure why you took some -rep, I agree that you sound kinda harsh/direct with your comments but they are all fair and true to be honest.

I guess some people don't like to hear the truth. My comments are direct. I thought this was the idea of a technical issue forum. Guess some would rather everyone be a fanboy and let the game die.

• Downvote 1