Aleš Ulm

Dev Diary #16

Hi there, fellow ylanders!

We're back from Gamescom and even though there's plenty of things to be done, it feels right to say at least a few words about the event.

We just loved it. With 16 computers occupied almost permanently by those wishing to learn something about the game (as well as by those who kept returning along or with their friends, which was also great) and a great looking large booth our presence was way bigger than at any previous event we went to.

YlandsGCComposition.png
Gamescom 2017 was just awesome!

We watched hundreds of players play the game and discussed various features with them. Once again the feedback we received was priceless (actually, in the second half of the show we were showing a build where we already made some changes based on that). Those who got their hands on the weather system and the new version of cars seemed to like it a lot - it felt good to see that our decision to give the cars some more time was worth it (thanks again for your patience). We'd like to release that update later this week so even those who couldn't come will be able to play with it.

We even met some of our dedicated players and it was really great to actually see the people behind all those nice posts!

Cars.jpg
Adrie is just checking out if our excitement about the new cars has some solid basis or if we're just crazy people :)

I would also like to take this opportunity to thank all our guys who spent the long hours manning the stations, those who helped us from our HQ at Prague and also our friends who came to present Arma and DayZ - we had a lot of fun together.

Well, I guess we'll get back to work now and I'll talk to you later. Until then... you stay classy, ylanders! :)

• Upvote 5

I can confirm the cars are gonna be good! I couldn't wait so I've been working on a car body already :) 

Adrie

Ylands_170828_130810.thumb.png.0da5ca5ce17bb8eeaa38c832d4c2b5ba.pngYlands_170828_130818.thumb.png.f2c15efe8e75ed6767ac653840a64209.png

Edited by WijkagentAdrie
  • Upvote 4

1 hour ago, WijkagentAdrie said:

I can confirm the cars are gonna be good! I couldn't wait so I've been working on a car body already :) 

Adrie

Ylands_170828_130810.thumb.png.0da5ca5ce17bb8eeaa38c832d4c2b5ba.pngYlands_170828_130818.thumb.png.f2c15efe8e75ed6767ac653840a64209.png

I can see you ending up with a rather large car-lot!

• Upvote 1

Some more cars questions actually! Can Ylandium engines be powered by Ylandium generators, creating cars that can go anywhere without refueling? Also, is it possible to place small (or large) heaters in our cars so we can drive around the arctic areas?

Adrie

Damn. If i just could have visited you guys.

Ylands would be one of the main reasons to get to the gamescom this year. But as i was on vacation in croatia i couldn´t join you guys :(

So im looking forward to the new update to see what you have done :)

Cheers

Judge

Edited by Judge-_Dredd_90

Yeah, I keep playing every day! I think we always want go back to the game...

Im bad racing player, but I will put a cannon in top of it dont worry!

Well i guess it is fair to say that everybody at Bohemia has a real heart filled with passion for the games they make! You could actually feel, see and hear that and not just the Ylands team but also the DayZ and ARMA3 team! I had the great honor to be present as a sort of VIP, mostly with the A3 team of course as that is my main core game, but the energie you all shared........ AMAZING and that is what makes Ylands for example such a great game: Made by Bohemia Interactive with PASSION!  

And i hope you all had your rest, you deserved it after many days of 12 hours just walking around with not much sitting around! much respect for you all!

And i will take on the offer from the A3 team to come and visit all the offices some time as special guest, hopefully next year :) 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, WijkagentAdrie said:

Some more cars questions actually! Can Ylandium engines be powered by Ylandium generators, creating cars that can go anywhere without refueling? Also, is it possible to place small (or large) heaters in our cars so we can drive around the arctic areas?

Adrie

Answering your questions, engines can't be powered by generators, only power cells. And yes, you can place heaters on cars.

45 minutes ago, Ane said:

Answering your questions, engines can't be powered by generators, only power cells. And yes, you can place heaters on cars.

Sweet! I'm still trying to find a perpetuum mobile, so in that case: how is power consumption influenced by having heaters/ylandium chargers/lights powered by engines? Could I use an engine on my boat to power a generator, that will charge batteries that will run the engine and so on?

Also, can we use coal engines in our bases/houses to power our light network as generators?

And last but not least, can we get a switch that is just a little bit smaller/more compact? So we can have a switch on the car to turn lights/heaters on/off :) 

Thanks for answering!

Adrie

38 minutes ago, WijkagentAdrie said:

Sweet! I'm still trying to find a perpetuum mobile, so in that case: how is power consumption influenced by having heaters/ylandium chargers/lights powered by engines? Could I use an engine on my boat to power a generator, that will charge batteries that will run the engine and so on?

Also, can we use coal engines in our bases/houses to power our light network as generators?

And last but not least, can we get a switch that is just a little bit smaller/more compact? So we can have a switch on the car to turn lights/heaters on/off :) 

Thanks for answering!

Adrie

I have no clue about a lot of it, however, I seemingly have charged Ylandium power cells, via a charging station, that was attached to a generator. The charging stations takes a while after "charging anything nearby", before it becomes active again to do the same, so I figure a generator on your boat with a charging station should work just fine. I also added two charging stations to the race track I made on the workshop, as I presumed this would be the case! Glad it worked out. :)

Regarding the switch on the car for the lights, perhaps an even smaller way would be to not have a switch at all? Have a button on the keyboard that turns them on and off, while you are sat in the driver's seat maybe.

On a side note, does anyone know the width and height you can extend out from a car base? Similarly a boat has a perimeter that you can build out to that far extends the boat's base. I am curious how wide and high you could build, because things like mobile homes would or would not be a possibility, depending on this.

Edited by John - Ylanders

1 minute ago, John - Ylanders said:

I have no clue about a lot of it, however, I seemingly have charged Ylandium power cells, via a charging station, that was attached to a generator. The charging stations takes a while after "charging anything nearby", before it becomes active again to do the same, so I figure a generator on your boat with a charging station should work just fine. I also added two charging stations to the race track I made on the workshop, as I presumed this would be the case! Glad it worked out. :)

Regarding the switch on the car for the lights, perhaps an even smaller way would be to not have a switch at all? Have a button on the keyboard that turns them on and off, while you are sat in the drivers seat maybe.

Yeah that last one with the switch is a good one, I see that most engines have 2 outputs, maybe put toggle buttons on keyboard 1 and 2? And for the generator I actually meant using an ylandium engine, but the way you say it is also a way to get infinite power. It's gonna be a little bit too big to put on a car but on ships this would be feasible. Which makes me wonder if we should have normal ylandium generators in survival mode since it's quite OP, having an infinite energy source.

Adrie

43 minutes ago, WijkagentAdrie said:

Thanks for answering!

Adrie

Engines have a set number of generated power, just like generators. Generated power (green lines) and power to propel cars are separate values.

Yes, you can do the whole perpetuum mobile thing with power cells and charging station - this will not be in the game for long, because we're redoing the energy system to make more sense at the moment.

You can use coal and ylandium engines to power anything, even lights in your house etc. :)

We'll see about the smaller switch, we don't have it yet, but it's definitely a good idea. However you will able to fit a lot of things on the larger car chassis so I wouldn't worry about that :)

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, WijkagentAdrie said:

Yeah that last one with the switch is a good one, I see that most engines have 2 outputs, maybe put toggle buttons on keyboard 1 and 2? And for the generator I actually meant using an ylandium engine, but the way you say it is also a way to get infinite power. It's gonna be a little bit too big to put on a car but on ships this would be feasible. Which makes me wonder if we should have normal ylandium generators in survival mode since it's quite OP, having an infinite energy source.

Adrie

Yeah the charging station is big and bulky! I edited my post with a side note but your reply was fast and it didn't get included!

"On a side note, does anyone know the width and height you can extend out from a car base? Similarly a boat has a perimeter that you can build out to that far extends the boat's base. I am curious how wide and high you could build, because things like mobile homes would or would not be a possibility, depending on this."

If you can build high and wide enough to get a charging station included, without making it look terrible! Could have a small generator hooked up to it?

Just now, Khanecz said:

Engines have a set number of generated power, just like generators. Generated power (green lines) and power to propel cars are separate values.

Yes, you can do the whole perpetuum mobile thing with power cells and charging station - this will not be in the game for long, because we're redoing the energy system to make more sense at the moment.

You can use coal and ylandium engines to power anything, even lights in your house etc. :)

We'll see about the smaller switch, we don't have it yet, but it's definitely a good idea. However you will able to fit a lot of things on the larger car chassis so I wouldn't worry about that :)

Awesome, I was hoping for an energy redo! One of my suggestions is to drop the splitter, as there are certain lamps/lights already that don't require them. It would make more sense to have the node as an input and output so energy systems are less bulky.

8 minutes ago, Khanecz said:

Thanks for the info! I won't make anything too complex with energy till later on then! Good to know we can use engines like a generator, very handy.

Larger chassis? Sounds ideal!

Any clue about dimensions for building on them? We can pre-make compositions to place on top of chassis if we have a rough idea!

Edited by John - Ylanders

Sure!

Smaller chassis - 14 x 6 x 9

Larger chassis - 18 x 8 x 9

1 unit is one block of building grid

Edited by Khanecz
Fixed lengths of chassis
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Khanecz said:

Sure!

Smaller chassis - 12 x 6 x 9

Larger chassis - 16 x 8 x 9

1 unit is one block of building grid

So we can't build outside the basic chassis boxes? (12x6 and 16x8?) Guess I'm gonna have to revise my car body then :D Also, how does it work with blocks that are for example 1x1x2, which are only half within the box?

Adrie

11 minutes ago, WijkagentAdrie said:

So we can't build outside the basic chassis boxes? (12x6 and 16x8?) Guess I'm gonna have to revise my car body then :D Also, how does it work with blocks that are for example 1x1x2, which are only half within the box?

Adrie

Nope, you can't build outside of these boxes, not even the case you described, if one block overlaps outside the box, it can't be built. Also I edited the values, they were wrong. The lengths are 14 and 18.

I just played a 2 hour session(or maybe 3) of Ylands on explorer mode...... I am really impressed how good the weather effects are! A bit of rain won't put out your little campfire but a storm (with lighting) does! You really need to take cover and you can't see the difference between day and night during a storm!

It took me a lot of pressing F12(there is some delay between pressing F12 and taking the screenshot) but I did manage to take a screenshot of a lightning bolt (1 of the many to hit during the storm).

IMG_20170911_102316.jpg

• Upvote 1