Question

Now that the propeller pack has been reduced to 10 seconds of flight there should be a means flight from a new type of vehicle. A vehicle like a plane, or a helicopter. A vehicle that you must fuel to keep in the air. Now this is easier said than done and I am no game designer/programmer but I believe that a bush plane (like kitfox planes) would perfectly match the theme of Ylands. Big front tires on a tail dragging single engine plane would be amazingly fun to jump around from island to island, or Yland to Yland. Flying to the edge of the map and traveling to an other region would bring an awesome new feel to the game. Putting along through the air with a steam powered engine spitting out smoke and sputtering would be just beautifully amusing. Making short little runways at your house with a little wind sock. Players trying to land in little wooded areas. Sounds like so much fun, right?! I think the developers should get to work on this if they haven't yet begun or thought of it, which I'm sure it has crossed their minds. Ylands is already such a great game and has so much more potential in exploration and creativity. Adding little 1 or 2 seater planes, helicopter, gyrocopters, or even balloons or blimps would just be the biggest, reddest cherry on top of the game. If anyone knows if Bohemia Interactive is already in the works on something like this Please send me a message! I would love to hear. Or if you agree and also want to see some sort of flying vehicle maybe write another post voicing your interest in seeing them puttering around in the sky! Maybe we can convince them to consider it. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 6

6 replies to this bug / suggestion

Well we already have a plane wreck in game. I think that maybe turning it into a vehicle could be a great idea. It looks like some kind of cargo/passenger plane and it could come in two variants. In one you can only fly with friends and in one you can place some chest etc. and move your resources. That could be powered either by ylandium or that oil refinig stuff that I heard ( I think its mentioned in Dev Diaries #174). 

Helicopters or gyrocopters (for me at least) dont fit into the game but are also a good idea of letting players fly around and maybe explore something.

• Like 1

Flying vehicles is something that has been mentioned several times on this forum, and it has crossed the minds of several developers on the team at Bohemia. I'm pretty sure it will happen in the distant future, but I know the animations for such huge projects take a lot of time.....and to quote Ales "we won't do it until it looks good"

I think the vision they have for flying vehicles is Steampunk type designs....such as zeppelins and slow moving flying vehicles like ornithopters....but first they are concentrating most of their time on exploration and making the world bigger, with customized maps, more random encounters, different creatures, etc. They are also working on expanding the crafting menu and better ways to make blueprints.....so have patience. It gets better with each update

A few people have made flying vehicles in editor, and they work quite well in mini games.....Naru made an awesome little plane....but making that whole system translate easier into a large world isn't that easy according to the devs....so all we can do is wait until it's possible.

Edited by spiritchaser28
  • Upvote 2

I think ornithopters would fit in ylands theme.

Like spirit said, I'm pretty sure they will implement something in the future.

spirit, dont tell me to have patient, you know I don't have any ?

• Upvote 1

Hey there! 

We are definitely planning this but we are still at the planning stage. We need to make sure that there is something that can "threaten" the player while in mid air before we implement this, to quote only one of the issue why this can't come right now. 

But it is definitely something we would love to see in the game :) 

fly.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/19/2021 at 9:31 AM, Nikki Severin said:

Hey there! 

We are definitely planning this but we are still at the planning stage. We need to make sure that there is something that can "threaten" the player while in mid air before we implement this, to quote only one of the issue why this can't come right now. 

fly.gif

I think it would be pretty scary if you happened to run out of fuel and crashed too hard the plane explodes and any stuff you had on you is destroyed along with the surrounding area. Maybe a weight limit for the planes. Can't hold too many items or it won't get off the ground, but don't indicate what its weight limit is. Player has to guess or find out when they don't get off the ground by the end of the runway, then BOOM... all your stuff gone haha. Maybe over time the plane degrades so the fabric or steel develops holes you need to repair of it won't fly. Birds attack it and tear holes in it? Make machine guns for the planes so players can dogfight? Players can shoot at planes from ground. During storms the planes get tossed around like paper? Lots of threatening things haha I got ideas for days! But honestly, flying vehicles are MUCH needed! I would absolutely love to see a bush plane type vehicle to pop around from island to island! 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On 5/19/2021 at 9:31 AM, Nikki Severin said:

Hey there! 

fly.gif

I'm just finding this gif hysterical! Thanks Nikki LOL

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1