Deadeye_Rob

Polar Region survival guide.

Greetings Explorers!

Introduction

Let me take you back to a time in 2017. Ylands had just been released on Steam and the multiplayer format of Exploration was focused on a few unmoderated official servers. With the entire fan-base concentrated on a map of 9 islands it wasn't uncommon to experience opportunistic griefers invading your base and stealing your gear. It's worth noting that at this point, the barrier system wasn't even invented at this time! The best method to enjoy Multiplayer Exploration without the worry of getting robbed was to journey to the farthest corners of the map in search of a remote area. (Pre-1.0 were incredibly large, and navigating to new lands was exceptionally difficult!). Back in 2017, Polar biomes were regarded as very harsh, barren lands holding few resources and very hostile predators. It was generally shunned by everyone, which made it the ideal hiding place! It was from this setting that I grew to love establishing a home in the Polar biome (referred to back then as the Polar Desert). In the 4 years since then however, Ylands has experienced some dramatic changes for the better. My thirst for the challenge of establishing a self-sufficient colony remained however. In this guide, I would like to outline the basics on how one can settle, and ultimately conquer the Polar regions!

Step 1: Have Blueprints

Lets get one thing straight, I won't be telling you the basic survival necessities demanded to proceed in Ylands (Such as making flint lighters, stone tools etc). I will assume that you have a basic grasp on how to craft the essentials before proceeding! Step one is very important! In order to survive in the Polar regions, you will need to establish and construct adequate shelter upon arrival immediately! Failure to do so will result in freezing to death in the first blizzard you encounter. You may also be eaten by the local wildlife! Have yourself a sturdy, spacious home saved within your catalogue that is resource-light in it's construction. As your play-style develops in Ylands, you may find it easier and faster to acquire building materials allowing you to use larger, more detailed blueprints. I would also incorporate some plant pots in your blueprint for the beginnings of a sustainable food supply.

20210427075956_1.thumb.jpg.d8c12765cefb11c16a0264f8b5393711.jpg

A well designed, well supplied house is the foundation to a successful polar colony!

Step 2:  Build a Boat

This step is the simplest, construct a basic seafaring craft. Ideally no less than a boat. This will be your primary mode of transport as well as your 'pack-donkey' for carrying all your supplies. Make sure to place additional storage onboard your vessel to increase your carrying capacity. I prefer to use a combination of Wicker Baskets and Clay Pots. Their capacity-to-size ratio makes them the most efficient choice for hauling goods.

Step 3: Gather Resources & Clothes

This step is easier said than done! Not only do you need to gather all the resources to complete your blueprint upon arrival, but you'll also need materials to build your crafting stations as well as seeds for crops and some basic tools including a saw. These should all be organized and stored within your vessel. Ideally you'll want the means to establish a self-sustaining lifestyle. Therefore you'll need renewable items such as Corn for flour and Sisal for fabrics, and a fishing rod etc.

I cannot overstate the importance of warm clothing! Without adequate clothing, your time in the polar wastes will be very restricted if-not limited. In 2017, it was possible to encounter bears from your starting island, which made it very easy to craft bear hide clothing very early on. Sadly this is not the case anymore. At an early stage I would recommend leather clothing, which can be acquired from the various animals roaming your spawn island. Bears however, still rank top of my list for warm clothing as they provide some of the warmest clothing -just under expedition and Inuit outfits. They also boast a fantastic 'rugged pioneer' look that I personally enjoy! Helmets crafted from Wolves, Bears and Jaguars also offer a high degree of cold resistance. Furs are also easy to craft however they look very basic in appearance and are sometimes not resource efficient. Once you're dressed in your best its time to go!

Step 4: Setting sail & reaching your island.

Once you're happy with your personal gear, and your vast collection of starting resources, seeds and supplies, its time to head off! When entering the polar regions the first major issue you'll encounter is the weather. Snow blizzards can be extremely disorientating and you'll often experience freezing temperatures. It is vital that you locate a landmass as soon as possible. Above all else, do not go in the water, regardless of your clothing. As soon as you reach a suitable landmass to establish your colony act quickly and place your blueprint. I personally like to place my first structure close to the shore, granting me easy access to my boat of supplies as well as a quick escape route if I'm set upon by polar bears. Build your shelter as soon as possible, construct a bed and set your spawn point immediately.

20210423111300_1.thumb.jpg.b04dd342ff859c60f832bf7f113947d0.jpg

Blizzards are an enemy to the Novice and Adept Survivalist alike! Stay inside!

Step 5: Establishing the basics

With your shelter constructed you've managed to reduce the chances of being eaten at least! Now for your own food source! Hopefully you have enough supplies to sustain you for a few days. Hopefully you included some plant pots in your blueprint which will make things easier to establish a continuous food supply. Cultivating corn is the most efficient food supply in the game. It's fast growing and regenerates its crops every few days. Flour can be made from corn which is used for making higher tier food products. If under desperate measures, a fishing rod will ensure a good supply of fish at the sacrifice of time and exposure. If really desperate, you could always go hunting, but depending on the island level, I wouldn't advise it! Feel free to explore your island make a note of nearby predators to make sure you aren't surprised when out in the wild. Use your map to plot out any visible mineral veins for later extraction. I would also suggest planting clusters of tall trees & grass to maintain a renewable source of wood and rope making material.

Step 6: Advanced Survival & animal domestication

Congratulations! Assuming you have an adequate shelter, renewable resources and a well mapped view of the landscape, its time to look toward making your shelter into a home! At this point you could begin staging expeditions from your base-camp to other biomes for materials like sand and iron. These materials are key to producing alchemy stations, which will enable the production of Cold Resistance & Healing Potions. For those who like an even tougher challenge, I would suggest farming animals. As of 1.5 the mechanic for breeding animals is not a precise science. From my experience, if two tamed creatures are held in close proximity to each other for an undetermined time, a third, wild animal may be spawned. If achieved, a survivalist could farm Penguins, Polar Bears and even Wooly Rhinos for their meat, pelts and wool. The challenging part however, is taming your first hostile polar animals!

Conclusion

Prior to the release of 1.5 conquering the polar wasteland was one of the hardest challenges of the game and the most satisfying to accomplish. With the ability to visit an infinite number of islands and biomes, this challenge has become relatively easy. It still requires preparation however, and if undertaken using a vessel no bigger than a boat, it becomes a real challenge that I highly recommend! Thanks for reading my unofficial tutorial guys. If you have any questions, I'll be happy to help!

FlintlockRob -Arctic Explorer & Settler!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Food, shelter, warmth, and supplies....some of the basics :) I always suggest having plenty of supplies in the polar biome and making constant runs for more. A ship with a lot of cargo space is very helpful. Some of the things people forget to bring are things like sticks.....you will need fuel for those fires to keep you warm and cook your food and the polar region is pretty devoid of many living resources like trees and other plant life. In Locust 2 I built an electric stove powered by a windmill so I would not only have a steady source of warmth, but also a cooking station with unlimited fuel. Heaters can help during the extreme cold nights but you have to remain close to them so I suggest 1 close to wear you sleep.....but always keep in mind with heaters and with electric stoves, just like any other heat source.....try not to keep your food close to it unless you plan on cooking it. If you like to decorate with little details such as food on the table, etc just keep it away from the heat sources or they will turn to ash.

Wool and leather are your friends in the polar biomes for the various warm clothing they can make. (Don't forget to bring your sewing kit!)The latest additions being Expedition outfit and Innuit clothing.....both very warm but keep in mind they do not offer much protection from attacks. Bear armor offers warmth and a bit more protection from attacks. Zirconium can also be warmer than some of the other hard armors. Plus the best bit of advice I have is ALWAYS have a lit torch ready in one of your hotslots. It is also a great source of personal warmth for when you explore.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, spiritchaser28 said:

ALWAYS have a lit torch

You know what? I never really used it in my polar expeditions and I really don’t know why? It is a fantastic portable heat source.

I wrote this guide years ago back when Exploration was a single 8 island map packed with players. There was no such thing as barriers back then. Even now I still love living in the polar regions. There’s something satisfying Huddling in a cosy cottage whilst a storm blows around outside!

My cabin design is based off an original design I made back in 2017, it evolves every few months! ?

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Deadeye_Rob said:

From my experience, if two tamed creatures are held in close proximity to each other for an undetermined time, a third, wild animal may be spawned. If achieved, a survivalist could farm Penguins, Polar Bears and even Wooly Rhinos for their meat, pelts and wool. The challenging part however, is taming your first hostile polar animals!

I think they actually act more like amoebas and a single animal can spawn another... but I haven't tested this extensively. I do want to warn that the new generation of animals will be wild and aggressive, so be careful with woolly rhinos etc. ?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Deadeye_Rob said:

It is a fantastic portable heat source.

Yes I have found sometimes with the new expedition outfit and Innuit clothes carrying a torch in the Arctic can actually make you extremely hot LOL......but there's been a few extremely cold nights that it definitely helped.....especially if I was out hunting mutants and was wearing actual armor for protection rather than the warmer clothes.