ocnoglittle

Feedback on the workshop

Question

I personally really hate the workshop. My complaints:

• https://play.ylands.com/ and https://create.ylands.com/ make me login every time I visit and then forget I am logged in and give me error messages I am not logged in and make me login several more times. ? Sometimes the errors will go away if I log out and log back in, but sometimes it won't.
  • The workshop is "down" a lot of the time and won't let us update or publish new mini-games. Or even look at our list of published compositions or games. Approximately half the time I try, I am unable to use it, usually for several days at a time.
  • I would like to be able to edit the thumbnail from within the game. This has been fixed already, but for a long period of time, the workshop website wouldn't let you update the thumbnail. 
  • The workshop website won't let you edit the description either.
  • I have no idea how to make it generate Official Dedicated Servers without adding a transaction. And I am pretty decent at editor. New players wouldn't have a chance. There should be an explanation about how the game will be for the players (local servers, official dedicated servers, or none) when you set up the server, instead of an outdated Bohemia Wiki page that I had to edit because it was false. And that page still needs a lot of work.
  • With the former workshop, I loved being able to look at the compositions through the website. I could see the compositions made by my favorite builders.
  • With the former workshop, I loved being able to sort the compositions by tag (house, ship, weapon, steampunk, etc.). Can we either get the compositions in an entirely different system or get these tags back?
  • The new game categories need a description, so everyone is defining the category the same way. Why can't there be more than one tag?
  • For people that aren't experts in Editor, the workshop is basically inaccessible. There is no way for them to get inspired by the wonderful builds there or easily download the amazing ships for use in Sandbox, Exploration, or games made by other players. The majority of people ignore the Editor entirely and they are missing out on one of the biggest community-building aspects -- the ability to share builds.
  • To end on a good note, I do love the idea of the workshop. It is a place where everyone can share their creativity and it definitely enriches the game tremendously... when it works correctly.

To all Ylanders, please add your complaints/compliments about the workshop!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 6

4 replies to this bug / suggestion

I agree with everything above. I'd also like to be able to download and upload the composition (.ycomp) files directly from the workshop as well. There could be instructions on where to place the .ycomp file with both steam and microsoft  file folder locations. We do this all the time on discord with ease. Of course the creators would have full control over whether or not it is available for download as usual.

Edited by spiritchaser28
  • Upvote 1

I'm new to the game, but I've already recognized that the editor and the compositions are something really great. I've also made my first steps, but it's just very confused and not intuitive enough for me. I would like to work with it and would like it to be revised and explained accordingly. It is too bad for all the potential that is unused there

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

My take
Games:
I would like it if we could share scenarios, rather than just maps. I don't see the point of leaving a map unprotected if all the scripts are gone when a player tries to edit it.

I'd like it if we could design our own game details page on the website, but also if possible in game. this should include some default templates and draggable/editable page aspects.
I would like it if details between website and game were separate.
In game I would have details about how to play, maybe some rules if necessary.  
On the site I would Put Patch notes, a means of giving feedback.. ect.

Everyone probably has a different idea of how pictures should be displayed.
Screenshots don't need to be locked to a box, they could be used as a game page's background or banner?
You could potentially even allow verified creator to use custom page elements allowing them to "set the scene" for their game.

Compositions:
These are capable of being full featured mods essentially,  even more so once we can add custom models
- tags
- being able to Predefine a category for your composition would help reduce the number of pages.
-Searching by Author name
-Composition size (block count, entity count, ect.)
-Script performance impact
-Composition groups would be nice for making "mod packs"
-The ability to create uniquely named pages for favorited/downloaded comps so they aren't in one big list

• Like 2

Hey everyone!

These are great points! Thank you for them! Thanks for taking the time, this is big help!! 

thumbs up.gif

• Like 3