Sign in to follow this  
Ane

0.5: Rainy Roads (01/09/2017)

CHANGELOG

Rainy Roads - 01/09/2017

THE_LINE.png

HIGHLIGHTS

• Added weather system. In this update you will be able to experience, based on your current biome, various types of weather. Please note that the changing weather isn't only a visual effect but also affects gameplay (fire sources get doused under strong rain etc.).
  • Added cars, car function and engines. Right now nothing is stopping you from driving your own cars! All you need is a chassis where you put one or more engines and a driver's seat. Of course feeding the engine with an appropriate type of fuel is also a good idea if you want your vehicle to move! For steam engines you can use wood, coal or charcoal, while ylandium engines are charged by ylandium power cells. Please note that all engines have a built-in dynamo, so you can even use them to power some devices like car lights.
  • Test your driving skills in the new Racing Track scenario! (available to download at the Workshop)
  • You can now attach engines to ships. The engines can also be used with large ships, where you can, if you have both installed, switch between sailing and being propelled by an engine.
  • Added "experimental" French and Dutch community translations. Good news for those speaking French or Dutch - the first version of community created translation of those languages is now available for you to try. If you want to do so, run the game with --translator (two hyphens) parameter, which will let you pick one of these "experimental" languages. If no problem with the translation is found, in the next update it will become available even without having to use the special parameter (we plan to add Russian language in the next update exactly the same way).

THE_LINE.png

NEW FEATURES

•     You are not able to light fires in bad weather if they're not in shelter
  •     You cannot sleep outside in bad weather - you will be woken up if you are already sleeping
  •     New combat idle animations for melee attacks
  •     New jump animation variation
  •     New unarmed attack variation
  •     Added bird idle behavior
  •     Predators should now be more dangerous
  •     Non-predators now flee from players (except for horses and crabs)
  •     Animals should circle around the player when attacking them in a big group
  •     Animals now reproduce again if their number drops down below a certain threshold, as they did in the old AI system
  •     Called horse will wait for about 10 seconds after reaching player's position
  •     Added shark corpse model
  •     Real loot is shown when picking up items (when picking up rainforest plant, hint shows you actually pick 5x grass)
  •     Placing an item in the inventory automatically unlocks its recipe
  •     New "hit" and "animal gutting" particle effects
  •     A new energy port focusing - if there is no port under the mouse cursor, the nearest port on the focused entity is focused
  •     Added preview energy ray between energy linker and focused node
  •     You can charge the mining drill in the world (place ylandium cell into hotbar and use it on a drill)
  •     Increased building block yield from logs (you will get more building blocks from logs now)
  •     Added sounds to big ships (sails open/close, loops, waves when speed up/down, sails and waves loops)
  •     Robustness improvements to server monitor and monitor-server communication
  •     Server instance logs are now saved under <Documents>/Ylands/ServerMonitor/ServerLogs/<servername>_server_process_log.txt
  •     Hiding environment and player temperatures in debug panel
  •     All vehicles are spawned without steering wheel now
  •     Trigger zones have new option in "Is triggered by": Player role
  •     Raised overall speed of ships
  •     [Editor]: added new Game logic, "Play Area", which can be used to constrain a loaded area (mostly usable on scenarios like Sky Arena, Racing Track - you will eliminate loading and unloading blocks by proper usage of Play Area GL)
  •     [Editor]: added GO HERE action into context menu. It will move camera to selected objects. (HotKey [F])
  •     [Editor]: you can listen to charge mining drill/fuel steam engine in editor. You can use "Perform action with an entity" to charge/fuel or deplete drill/engine

THE_LINE.png

NEW ASSETS

•     Car chassis
  •     Large car chassis
  •     Small Ylandium engine
  •     Small steam engine (3)
  •     Car driver seat (5)
  •     Car passenger seat (5)
  •     Car front mask (4)
  •     Car trunk (3)
  •     Car back
  •     Car body part (6)
  •     Coal basket
  •     Charcoal basket
  •     Wooden ladder
  •     Tall wooden ladder
  •     Sandstone blocks
  •     Stone blocks
  •     Brick blocks
  •     White brick blocks
  •     Marble blocks
  •     Marble pillars
  •     Wooden blocks
  •     Log joint
  •     Striped blocks
  •     Traffic signs
  •     Traffic cone
  •     Oriental roofs
  •     Bamboo blocks
  •     Shark corpse
  •     Winner's wreath
  •     Roasted fish meat
  •     Raw fish meat

THE_LINE.png

FIXES

•     You can drop items from the cube - droppable items indicated with green arrow; undroppable with red X
  •     Adding multiple unstackable items from cube adds correct number of items
  •     Dragging items from a container now automatically switches other tab to Inventory
  •     Searching in inventory/crafting/cube switches tab to All automatically
  •     Fixed boat animation while holding rudder
  •     Drilling progress bar is removed
  •     Hints for picking up items added while player is mounted
  •     Leather sheets stack the same way as paper sheets
  •     You are able to build fences again
  •     Added inertia to throwing grenades and shooting bows (projectiles will inherit inertia from the player)
  •     Empty notes will not change to the "written" version when no text is entered
  •     Fixed text bubbles showing in wrong position
  •     Fixed massive FPS drops after cutting down a tree
  •     Animals no longer destroy ripe bushes and trees, they harvest them instead
  •     Fixed animals trying to kill players even with creator cube equipped
  •     Fixed predators not wanting to go near food if there was no fire nearby
  •     Fixed penguins not wanting to eat fish
  •     Fixed animals not eating properly (in a way that for example eating a fish would spawn fish meat or eating a banana would spawn seeds)
  •     Fixed animals not being woken up by noises
  •     Animals will not eat food from trees anymore
  •     Animals will not climb incredibly steep slopes when hunting players anymore
  •     Fixed being attacked by animals that cannot reach you (for example by Mutated animals in caves under players)
  •     Animals shouldn't get stuck in each other that much now
  •     Birds should fly in circles now
  •     Fixed birds getting stuck in trees when trying to fly through them
  •     Fixed animals trying to find a path through closed doors and gates
  •     Reduced the distance the animals flee from danger - previously they would be able to flee across the whole yland
  •     Fixed ZZZ particles appearing hundreds of meters away from the sleeping animals
  •     Fixed animals being hurt only by entities, not by other possibilities
  •     Fixed a case where an animal would wake up from being dead and stop doing anything at all after loading a save
  •     Fixed sliding animal corpses
  •     Land in Make New Yland updates properly when changing biomes
  •     Breath bar no longer appears when you're immune to drowning
  •     Interaction hints display properly when using flying potion
  •     Fixed wrong hints while sitting/lying with propeller pack
  •     Fixed bamboo chest sounding like ocean waves when being opened
  •     Saguaro cacti should be moving in the wind again
  •     Player now starts knowing how to craft a wicker basket container
  •     Fixed inconsistency in green and red roof recipes
  •     Head feathers give you feathers upon breaking
  •     Sandstone chunks give you more sand upon breaking
  •     Wooden raft doesn't unlock together with bamboo raft anymore
  •     Fixed bugged charging stations on ships
  •     Melon head potion doesn't need as many melons now
  •     Spikes are now crafted into the scene and are not pickable
  •     Fixed falling through a pile of items stacked on top of each other
  •     Fixed being able to do infinite towers of sand/gravel from only one piece
  •     Trigger zones with Perform option set to "Do not fire if another object is in the trigger zone" did not work correctly
  •     Text in search field is no longer shared across workstations
  •     Fixed UI sometimes displaying wrong inventory item changes
  •     Reduced FPS drops when loading new terrain
  •     Wrong text when hovering over "Host a game"
  •     Fixed a small Earth visible in the background when creating a new Yland
  •     Added missing hint for Continue option in main menu
  •     Fixed an error that caused the game to freeze when exiting Configure Panel in Editor
  •     Leaving vehicle controls caused by ragdoll will no longer keep player in ship controlling mode
  •     Fixed player being spawned underground in rare cases
  •     Fixed breaking the game when respawning as a new character in First person view
  •     Fixed buttons that were completely covered by a white overlay, and highlighted when using mouse
  •     Fixed being unable to free yourself after getting stuck in a bear trap
  •     Fixed spawn entity action in Editor
  •     Improved navigation for on-screen keyboard - left on leftmost key now selects the rightmost key
  •     Entities you cannot interact with are not highlighted anymore
  •     Fixed respawning as a new character in Wild West breaking the game
  •     Fixed progress bar sometimes missing during specific actions
  •     All light sources will shine in the main menu now
  •     Removing option to play specific sound from a set in the Editor
  •     Show message action did not work with short messages
  •     Particle effect game logics have preview in Editor
  •     Particle effect game logic orientation was not taken into account
  •     Small targets in Fun Fair were difficult to hit
  •     Projectile trigger zone in Ylander Jones did not work as expected
  •     Default orientation placed vehicles in the same heading as a player
  •     You shouldn't be able to control vehicles placed upside down
  •     Mouse sensitivity now goes from 0 to 10 instead of -5 to 5. That also fixes wrong behaviour with negative values
  •     Weapons: Muzzle flash effect is shown on all barrel ends
  •     Fixed wrong delay for crossbow reload animation
  •     Character won't hold items that are in placing mode anymore (in FPV mode)
  •     Arctic rabbit renamed to Polar rabbit
  •     [Editor]: Camera movement is faster
  •     [Editor]: Camera movement when scrolling with mouse wheel did not work correctly

THE_LINE.png

COMING SOON

Coming Soon to your ylands… Countless Colors!

• Upvote 6

With the new update Ylands doesn't launch anymore. After "copying files" and doing something with the manifest I get an error stating "Oh no, something went wrong! We are aware of that...,Launching [SomePath"] failed..."

Every retry has the same result. Current version is 0.4.34323.

Edit: My local copy does not have a YLANDS.EXE in my gamedir anymore. I got the version via gamescom Key. What should I do?

Edited by Cral07

44 minutes ago, Achilles77 said:

Nice :) just noticed one problem, my mouse movement is inverted and i cant seem to change it

Is it happening everywhere in the game or do you just feel that the mouse is inverted when controlling cars?

45 minutes ago, Achilles77 said:

Nice :) just noticed one problem, my mouse movement is inverted and i cant seem to change it

I went into the editor, clicked "play", switched on mouse invert in the menu, went back out of the menu, back into the menu, switch mouse invert off. This fixed it for me!

22 minutes ago, Cral07 said:

With the new update Ylands doesn't launch anymore. After "copying files" and doing something with the manifest I get an error stating "Oh no, something went wrong! We are aware of that...,Launching [SomePath"] failed..."

Every retry has the same result. Current version is 0.4.34323.

Edit: My local copy does not have a YLANDS.EXE in my gamedir anymore. I got the version via gamescom Key. What should I do?

Could you please attach your logs so that we take a look?

Do you have Avast antivirus installed? For some reason it sometimes detects ylands.exe as suspicious, you might have to add it as an exception, or try reinstalling the game with the antivirus disabled. Running the launcher as admin might help too.

Ane,

I tried to look for a logfile. Nothing there (in the launcher directory). The game directory contains a logfile. Nothing important there.

This is a basic gaming PC. There is only steam installed, basic windows 10 protection. And Ylands. No further virus scanner. As I said, Ylands.exe is missing.

output_log.txt

15 minutes ago, Cral07 said:

Ane,

reinstalled the game. I am up and running again.

Perfect! I'm glad to hear that :)

:x

Guys, feel free to share your crazy cars here!

Some feedback on the cars:

Physics: Physics wise the cars are absolutely brilliant, definitely worth the wait! The small car chassis feels really balanced, however I feel that the large chassis could use some tweaks. The large chassis with a single engine is really slow which isn't that bad per se, but the amount of torque it has makes it rather impractical, since even the slightest hills make it struggle. Also, the normal (S button) brakes on the larger chassis with 1 engine are underpowered. It has happened a few times where I went downhill, couldn't brake, went into an obstacle and then didn't have enough power to reverse uphill. I believe since they are more "trucklike" the speed should definitely be slower than the small cars, but they should have some more torque. Also, when running out of fuel the brakes start to act weird, locking up all wheels but driving continues as normal. Sounds wise, I think the front wheels should make noise as well when they are understeering.

One thing that happens sometimes on the race map is that the front of the car digs in under the bridge, maybe make small invisible wheels on the front of the chassis?

Chassis dimensions: I do have the feeling that the large chassis rides a little bit "high". Either the wheels could be bigger and wider (with the chassis being at the same height from the ground) or the chassis a little bit lower to the ground. Also, wouldn't it be nicer to have the wheels on both chassis placed a liiiittle bit inward so if you make fenders they fit right under the fenders? Cool wheels on both cars by the way, they really fit each chassis great!

Engines: Engine balancing is nice, when I tested at Gamescom the Ylandium engine was nearly twice as powerful. I'm happy that they are now equal, since it's a nice tradeoff of building costs vs running costs. One thing that I would like to see is a difference in torque/speed: maybe make the Ylandium engine better at climbing, but giving the coal engine a higher top speed?

Block requests: The current amount of car parts are already brilliant! Although I feel that we could do with a few additional parts to get more creative than the standard Front side - engine - seat - trunk cars. It would be nice to have separate head and tail lights and sloped windows for example. Also a "center" seat would be nice, to fit in between another passenger seat and a driver seat so we can sit 3 abreast :) 

Feature reqeust: I would love to see trailers/carts we can attach so we can have carts for very specific purposes, such as a mobile lighting system, or a mobile furnace on a trailer :) 

Ylands_170901_140000.thumb.png.9ad7422a8d3aea0872b2700b2b7e6587.png

Here's my first car, the Praga V3S, an all time Arma2/DayZ favorite :) I've made a post elsewhere with a download link and more screenshots! I'm working on a Praga S5T now, which will run on coal instead of Ylandium :) 

Overall a very very very good job!

Adrie

Edited by WijkagentAdrie
  • Upvote 2

Thanks A LOT for this thoughtful feedback! It will be taken into account for sure :)

Also, let me just tell you that we were impressed by how quickly you grasped all the concepts behind the cars at Gamescom - you sir are something else! :P

• Upvote 1

I've just been live streaming / testing out the updates and I must say, it's all very impressive! I'm now in the process of having some creative time in the editor with these new additions and I'm having a grand time. There is a couple of bugs remaining but I won't bring down the good mood today, I will likely post them after testing and collecting more. Regarding the car physics, wow it is good fun! The only thing I would change would be the weight distribution while in the air, the cars feel very front heavy and a large jump might result in a nose-dive! Perhaps if the engine could be the center of gravity? Could have it lean more towards where the engine(s) are placed, allowing for / requiring some balancing of weight while designing the cars. Ships are great fun with a bunch of engines on them too! Speed boat for sure.

• Upvote 3

I love the new weather system, at night it is amazing!

The game here and there feels diferent, cars are good.

When I have an acident with cars I cant put the car in the normal position

Thanks for one more great update

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, BigBoss87 said:

When I have an acident with cars I cant put the car in the normal position

I use log or wooden desks in free placing mode (pressing "V") to push them around a little. It's little complicated but it works. :) 

Edited by Miguel Preguisa
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, Miguel Preguisa said:

I use log or wooden desks in free placing mode (pressing "V") to push them around a little. It's little complicated but it works. :) 

Thanks, pretty sure it will work for me too :)

On 1-9-2017 at 4:49 PM, Ane said:

Thanks A LOT for this thoughtful feedback! It will be taken into account for sure :)

Also, let me just tell you that we were impressed by how quickly you grasped all the concepts behind the cars at Gamescom - you sir are something else! :P

Thanks! :D Part of this was due to the intuitive building/driving system, it's really that simple to just jump into the game and get started. Car's also follow the same principles as stoves/furnaces and Energy streams. :) 

For some reason my server won't load anymore, I even reinstalled the entire game. The error I get after clicking the "play" button when trying to start the game normally is:

Failed to load PlayerSettings (internal index #0).
Most likely data file is corrupted, or built with mismatching
editor and platform support versions.

When loading the server, I get the server menu but when trying to host the same error appears.

Anyone got any solutions?

Edit: Is it just some files missing which I could copy from my own PC to my server? If so, which are missing?

Edit 2: Fully deleting everything Ylands related and reinstalling to a different location has made it work! I'll keep this post+log here so others can find out how to fix it :) 

output_log.txt

Edited by WijkagentAdrie

Hey, great update! Thanks much! The new cars are a blast! I've been lurking in the shadows and reading the forum, but this update was so fun I had to come out of creeper mode to let you guys know!

I do have a question though. I want to make the cars and engines in explore mode. What's the recipe to put 'em together?

• Upvote 1

Hi JaneDoe, I've just updated the Ylands Wiki here. This page has all of the links you need to check out the different engines, chassis and seats required to create a functional vehicle.

Edited by handofthesly
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, handofthesly said:

Hi JaneDoe, I've just updated the Ylands Wiki here. This page has all of the links you need to check out the different engines, chassis and seats required to create a functional vehicle.

Whoa, thanks a bunch for updating the Wiki! Awesome job :)