Sign in to follow this  
spiritchaser28

6th Q and A with Ales

In less than 10 minutes Ales will be answering questions live on Naru's twitch stream. twitch.tv/naruthehuman

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi everyone! In case you missed the 6th Q&A, here are the links:

Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1034916049

YouTube -

(Subtitles will be available for the YouTube version. Please let me know if you need help getting them in your language.)

Summary:

Follow up from last time

Q: How many Custom Scenarios are there right now?

A: There are approximately 5 right now.

Q: Anything you now want to answer more than no comment? (Bosses, teleporting, creator’s club, new biomes, larger tech tree, plans for changing blueprints, Exploration tiers, the feeling of exploration, etc)

A: The people responsible for these features spent a long time working on them. We should introduce each of them in their own Dev Dairies. You will have to wait. The Changelogs for 1.7 will be out soon. We will reveal everything in the next 3 or 4 Dev Diaries.

Q: Can we have an automated smelter?

A: Yes. We are looking into it and will implement something for it. It shouldn’t be that difficult.

Q: Why were some recipes removed? Like most of the guns?

A: I was told they were put in Random Encounters instead. We are making changes to crafting. You will have to find recipes in Random Encounters. We will explain it more in around 2 weeks.

<Ocnog disagrees>

Ok. Make a list of the ones that are missing.

Q: Can we change how the rope ladders are placed on the ship by default?

A: I know it can be annoying if the position of the ladder doesn’t fit your plans. We want the player to be able to get on the ship as soon as they place it, so that is why we have ladders by default. This is especially for new players that aren't experts at building. I will look into this for the ship-focused update.

Q: Why isn't the machine gun in Exploration? Is it too overpowered?

A: Yes, it was too overpowered but maybe we will add it later. We are expanding Exploration and we will give players more incentives to explore. So they will find more recipes, weapons, and armor. So I can see this weapon being part of that.

Vendors

Q: From Spirit: Can we change it so the vendors can only be killed by the person who placed them (or the map owner)?

A: That makes sense. It might be better to set the whole zone to no killing anyone.

Q: From Ocnog: When will we get PVE?

A: Ask me in 2 weeks.

Q: From Spirit: Can I have the gold pebbles back when I kill a vendor?

A: Wouldn't that encourage other players to kill the vendors? I don't think that will fit with the game. I like the idea of putting buckets over the vendor’s head in Skyrim so you can steal their items. But killing them is too much. You already spent the money for the vendor to move in. Think of the poor vendor. Do you watch Viva La Dirt League? If you do, you know how difficult a vendor's life can be, so just leave them alone.

Q: From Spirit: When can we change the vendor clothing?

A: This is a low priority because it is just cosmetic. But we will get to it at some point.

Naru: I have seen your stashes of items. I know you can kill one vendor after another and still financially recover.

Q: From Spirit: Can the vendors also have the bundles like the traders?

A: Why not? Sure. We’ll add it to our list.

Exploration

Q: From Ocnog: What is going on with the Random Encounters and traders? (I apparently should have been more specific and asked why there were so few.)

<lots of confusion about what Ocnog was talking about>

Aleš: I didn't know about this. But that doesn’t mean we aren’t working on it. People like Nikki are paid to find your feedback and tell the designers. And some of the designers look for your feedback as well. There are actually many things I don’t know about.

Naru: They are working on a fix to make sure the larger Random Encounters are spawning properly in 1.7. The game thinks the island is too small to spawn Random Encounters.

Q: From SGT_Shodan: Why can’t you make the starting island a sharegame?

A: We don't want new players to be confused or make a sharegame too early. If something goes wrong, you can always go back to your starter island. We want it to be a safe place, not a sharegame. We don't want them to be able to invite people that might damage their island. We might change this in the future. The starter island is more of a tutorial and there will be a proper tutorial in Update 1.8.

Sounds

Q: From Spirit: Can we make the Ylandium Refinery sound less loud and obnoxious? Spirit likes the second sound (Ocnog hates it more than the first sound).

A: We have a sound designer that wants more feedback, so please tell us more. We will get to this in 1.8.

Q: From Ocnog: Can we also change the Charging Station noise? It is super irritating.

A: Keep sending us everything you think. We don’t get much feedback about this.

Other

Q: From Spirit: Can you allow the player to use the demolition hammer on ship hulls and car chassis? Currently, it doesn’t work.

A: We must have forgotten this by accident. Sure, if there is nothing on them. I think these should be deconstructible. That would be a good thing.

Q: From IEuphe: You mentioned this in a Dev Diary, but please confirm: Will we be able to hold a torch and a weapon?

A: We might not make the torch show in your hand, but we will make the light still active so you don't have to switch back and forth. We might also have the torch in the backpack slot since we don’t use that enough. Flaming swords are also a good idea. 

Naru: I miss the wooden helmets with crystals attached that would light the area around the player. It was so amazing but it was removed.

Q: From Nikki and Spirit: Is there any way we can extend the duration of time before we get hungry?

A: I’m already looking into this. The problem is that there are two groups of people. A lot of players complain that this game isn’t difficult enough and this isn't true survival. Others feel that it should be more casual. I think that is true. I am leaning towards making the players need less food but we need to make sure it is balanced. I am looking into it.

Q: From Nico and Ocnog: Can we get a rework for the ladders? They often give an error message about not having enough room or don't behave as expected.

Naru: It would be cool if you could drag the ladder upwards as much as you need to. That would be amazing.

Aleš: There is already a task for this. We are working on it. Maybe when we make some changes to ships and sailing, we can look into this.

Q: From Spirit: Is there any way we could maybe have the default color of the propeller pack a more neutral color? Such as steel or light grey? Orange doesn't exactly match everybody's outfit color choices.

A: I need to think about it. It is possible. If we make 2 options, would that be enough for everyone? Or would some players want other color options? We know about the propeller pack color reverting bug.

Q: From Spirit: Can we have a "Librarian or stationery vendor" Someone that sells all the books, pens, pencils, quill and ink, paper, leather parchment, etc?

A: Yes, that is a really nice idea.

Q: From Spirit: Will we be able to control time duration on our personal maps on Exploration in the future?

A: That might make the world too unpredictable but I can see the benefit of changing the day duration for some of the maps. Maybe for different biomes, like the arctic. I’ll discuss it with the designers. It might be too confusing for each map to be different. The truth is that once we let creators add maps to Exploration, which I think will be a different zone or biome, we won’t limit the duration for these maps.

Q: From yo_has: Why do some items get removed from the game over time?

A: It is difficult to answer this because it is for different reasons, including resource distribution, combat changes, etc. I don’t think this happens often. What are the specific items? Please ask Nikki about the specific item.

Q: From Spirit: catapults?

A: A lot of people on the team hated the catapults. They had a lot of technical issues and they weren't good enough. We won't remove the items from the mini-games if they are already there. We only remove access to placing new copies of that item.

Q: From Ocnog: Tell that to the invisible seagulls.

A: There were two types of birds: seagulls that land near the players and ones that fly from one island to another. The second one was removed when you could see islands in the distance. There were some technical issues with the AI for the seagulls, similar to the sharks. Sharks will definitely return and should come back in 1.9.

Q: From yo_has: What about bones? From Naru: Were they removed due to restrictions for the PEGI rating?

A: Bones were seen as something that is bad luck in Asia, so we removed them. But we can bring them back to the main version of the game. In World of Warcraft, they replaced all the bones in the game with loaves of bread. If you entered the dungeon, there was bread lying around.

Q: From Ocnog: Can bringing back the wooden helmet with crystals be a task?

A: Don't the crystals not emit light? Oh wait, that was just for mobile. I will look into bringing it back. If they still emit light, I don’t see why not.

Q: From Ocnog: Can we make the mast into a ladder, too?

A: As long as the asset doesn't change, we can make the player teleport into the crow's nest, without an animation, like the ladders. In 1.9 when we are improving the sailing, we can add it.

Q for Naru: From Spirit: When are we getting our pots and pans?

A: I was working on a Random Encounter with giants stealing pots and pans from each other. I am making it a Custom Scenario instead. But we will lock out Ocnog so she can’t find them.

Q: From Ocnog: We want a tombstone or some object as a respawn point for all players on the map so you can die and respawn in Valhalla or a hospital or a graveyard. We mentioned it in Suggestions on the forum.

A: It is too easy to abuse and would interfere with the bed respawn system. Maybe only add it as a system for Custom Scenarios.

Q: From Ocnog: When will players get to make Custom Scenarios?

A: Even before we have the official system for letting creators add Custom Scenarios, you can send the maps to us and we will add them as Custom Scenarios. Take a look at the Custom Scenarios that are already there and if you think you can make something that good, please send them in. It must follow some general rules, but it would be great to add some player-made content.

Q: From yo_has: Are there plans on when the first-person camera might come back?

A: It will return but I am not sure when. Maybe sometime this year. I already mentioned all the issues with the first-person camera.

Q: From Naru: Aleš, will we see you on Friday? (If you want to watch Aleš play last Friday: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1030161365)

A: Not this Friday, but the one after.

Previous Q&As:

https://ylands.com/community/topic/30356-5th-qa-with-aleš/

https://ylands.com/community/topic/30317-dev-diary-174-stream-qa/

https://ylands.com/community/topic/30295-4th-qa-with-aleš/

https://ylands.com/community/topic/30138-3rd-qa-with-aleš/

https://ylands.com/community/topic/30025-2nd-qa-with-aleš/

https://ylands.com/community/topic/29785-qa-with-aleš-next-tuesday/?do=findComment&amp;comment=101186

Edited by ocnoglittle
  • Like 4

I forgot to mention: If you want to submit a question ahead of time, please reply to this thread! Otherwise, you can ask Aleš questions using the Twitch chat during the next Q&A.

Edited by ocnoglittle
  • Upvote 1

From RealArchitect: hey i have an idea that maybe you can push to the team to make exploration fun. im thinking what if there could be random pirate npc's that can attack and loot your ship( well maybe few items) not everything but scary enough to have a reason to make good armor and have constant ammunation.

It was already brought up, but maybe we can ask sometime between now and 1.9 how it could be implemented

From RealArchitect: also the monsters... they could be make a lot harder. is there a system to make harder monsters spawn for maybe more experienced players?

This was also already brought up ? In fact, it might be a moot question after 1.7 ?

• Like 2

Regarding the Energy update that is planned in the future. Will it be possible to craft buttons and levers and have them function in the same manner as switches? Also could it be possible to use the levers on regular doors and gates? (From Nico). ...Also today I was playing around with the forcefield door in editor....is it possible to have a force field or electric fence (that could cause damage similar to tesla coils but impassable unless damaged) in the future? Something that could be turned off and on? It would not act like the protective barrier, rather like a fence that could keep enemy monsters out.

Edited by spiritchaser28
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, spiritchaser28 said:

a fence that could keep enemy monsters out.

This would be amazing! Maybe you should make this idea its own thread in Suggestions.

• Like 1

Or we can just tag @Nikki Severin and see if she can pass the idea along. One force field fence that would be a energy wall and one electrified fence that can damage pretty please :)

The walls could link together like the street lights, but it would be sort of like poles with 2 energy nodes on each side. They could use the same distance that streetlights require. 

Technically you CAN make a force field wall out of the force field doors...but it requires an absolute ton of splitters. Maybe a way to bypass this is make another forcefield door with 2 energy nodes so you can link them together?

Ylands_210608_194457.png

Edited by spiritchaser28
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

@Yo HasLEGO Brought this up in discord and I like the idea. Could it be possible to have a working grappling hook in the game? I think it would be easy enough to craft, and possibly could be a separate backpack option....like a climbing kit backpack. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, spiritchaser28 said:

@Yo HasLEGO Brought this up in discord and I like the idea. Could it be possible to have a working grappling hook in the game? I think it would be easy enough to craft, and possibly could be a separate backpack option....like a climbing kit backpack. 

I thought this was already asked in the first or second Q&A

• Like 1

From Nico: Can the colours of tricolor flags be indivual? for example theres one flag thats blue white and blue, so being able to modify each color individually to create a different flag, like yellow, blue, and red.

On 6/9/2021 at 12:54 AM, spiritchaser28 said:

Or we can just tag @Nikki Severin and see if she can pass the idea along. One force field fence that would be a energy wall and one electrified fence that can damage pretty please :)

The walls could link together like the street lights, but it would be sort of like poles with 2 energy nodes on each side. They could use the same distance that streetlights require. 

Technically you CAN make a force field wall out of the force field doors...but it requires an absolute ton of splitters. Maybe a way to bypass this is make another forcefield door with 2 energy nodes so you can link them together?

Ylands_210608_194457.png

Hey! Will do of course :) 

• Thanks 2