Sign in to follow this  
Nikki Severin

Dev Diary #180 Cooler Crafting

Hey there, Ylanders! 

Being able to survive on a remote yland is not easy. What does make it easier and more fun is what you surround yourself with. But since you're starting with but a few resources around you, all there's left to do is craft everything you need! And Ylands has oh-so-many recipes to choose from! So many that one may actually get lost in the sea of items, blocks and decorations. Which is why
we took your feedback and turned it into a whole new crafting system

The crafting system will now include two kinds of recipes: core recipes and optional recipes. Core recipes will be learned by progressing through, what we call, a crafting tree. Optional recipes, on the other hand, will encourage Ylanders to travel and explore more because these recipes can only be found visiting random sites. All the recipes that you already know and use will not disappear, so you don't need to worry about that! 

Another thing that will change based on your suggestions is the UI. In the new and improved version of crafting, you will be able to
see groups of items such as building elements, tools, weapons and so on. We hope that this will help with navigating the crafting menu and make for easier and faster crafting. To make the crafting menu navigation even easier, newly learned recipes will be highlighted so that you don't forget about them and try them right away! 

Ylands_210610_170706.png

What you've been asking for and what 1.7 will also bring to Ylands' crafting is hotbar crafting. Any recipe that doesn't require a crafting station can now be crafted into the world straight from the hotbar. How great is this for building blocks! 

That's all for today and we will continue bringing news about all the fun things coming to Ylands with the 1.7 update! 

Till next week! Stay classy, Ylanders!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

15 hours ago, bojo2736 said:

Some way to sort favorites?  Please?

Sorting favorites is not actually a part of this update, but I can definitely bring it up to be included in 1.8, which is going to be mostly a polish and quality of life update :) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Nikki Severin said:

Sorting favorites is not actually a part of this update, but I can definitely bring it up to be included in 1.8, which is going to be mostly a polish and quality of life update :) 

Please do, and thank you.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, spiritchaser28 said:

I'm just staring at the pot and ladel and keeping my fingers crossed. Pokes Naru. LOL

Did you see the KNIFE BLOCK???  OMG

• Like 3

And the cutting board? It is thin so I'm wondering if we can use it for other things too, like wall decorations.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SandyT said:

And the cutting board? It is thin so I'm wondering if we can use it for other things too, like wall decorations.

I'm guessing it's a regular block placed inside the counter with just the top part showing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, spiritchaser28 said:

I'm guessing it's a regular block placed inside the counter with just the top part showing.

You're probably right, oh well, a person can dream! LOL. But did you notice how smooth the blue wall is? It doesn't look like stone or wood. I hope that's something that we can use too.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, SandyT said:

did you notice how smooth the blue wall is? It doesn't look like stone or wood

One side of marble and stone blocks are quite smooth (seamless when placed together)

I use them all the time for inner walls if I want a solid color

Edited by spiritchaser28
  • Like 3

Hey guys! I have uploaded the composition of the kitchen I put together for this dev diary to workshop, just so you could check out how its done for yourself. :) its been done on live version with no new assets, those are just wooden blocks, one for the cutting board is sunk into the counter, and the knife stand is a rotated block with some black pixel cubes to create the effect the "slots" for the knifes..^-^ https://create.ylands.com/asset_detail/11546

Its me, Naru, by the way.. :D I have somehow misplaced my login information, so I quickly signed up from my personal steam account.. :D

Edited by Momon-san
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4
  • Upvote 1

On 6/12/2021 at 5:00 AM, bobo198312 said:

hey @Nikki Severin have you heard if there doing anything more for zirconium?

Hey! 

Not in the 1.7 update, maybe in 1.8 but I will keep you posted for sure! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

@Momon-san you just destroyed many players dream. Now you know they want a cutting board and a knife holder ??

Edited by jchob
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1