JonathanHunt

UNDER REVIEW distant Terrain not properly showing in exploration

Question

image.thumb.png.51a2e0652fc0510bb851470d4a9e007a.png

In exploration i've been exploring a lot of new islands. before i did i had changed the settings in the options menu so that i can see distant islands (level of detail set to medium). But i found one island that seems to load in it's terrain chunks differently to the other neighbouring islands (like how terrain looks when it's level of detail is set to low or very low). The picture above shows the two neighbouring islands having visible terrain while the island i'm on doesn't have all of it's chunks loaded in, when i move to the unloaded area the chunk loads in as intended and unloads as i move away.

I thought this rare bug might make players miss an island if they're looking for all of them on the ocean with the same view distant settings.

I've attach the output logs if needed

output_log_clean.txt

output_log.txt

Edited by JonathanHunt
  • Upvote 2

13 replies to this bug / suggestion

Hey! 

I'm not sure what you mean exactly. This seems to be behaving the way it should - certain parts of the terrain only loading when you approach them :) 

I find this a little weird as well. 

The big island you can see on my map was fully rendered in when i was there. While the little C island on the right couldn't render fully when i got there. 

20210702134912_1.thumb.jpg.f1bfb92c33bba74ad58d726a317b434d.jpg

20210702134917_1.thumb.jpg.61a7219ab48c2e0fbb94cfc6eb88d372.jpg

Edited by Yo HasLEGO
  • Upvote 1

i found a island that has both loaded chunks and chunks that only load when close enough (slighty seen at the top of picture)

image.png

Edited by JonathanHunt
  • Upvote 2

I agree this is odd. Seeing distant islands but not being able to see the island closest to you until you are right on it. I was ignoring my map and crashed into an island that suddenly appeared in front of me making the island I was actually sailing to suddenly not visible until I flew in the air to see it.

Edited by spiritchaser28

@Nikki Severin This is what they are talking about. In this short vid you can see I am looking at 3 islands in the distance. One to the west, one to the northwest and one to the north. The Island closest to me is not visible. I hop in the ship and head North when this island suddenly appears in front of me, obstructing the view of the island I was looking at in the north. When I get on the island it proceeds to load in "chunks" as  @JonathanHunt mentions. The 3 other islands do not load in this fashion. When I am on one end of the island I can clearly see the other end. This island however, I can only see what's right in front of me while I can still see the other 3 Islands in the distance. It's sort of weird being able to see distant islands and not being able to see the ground 30 feet in front of you.

• Upvote 3

Been doing some tests to see what these vanishing islands have in common. So far it seems they all have traders on them. Specifically Andre the Blacksmith and Morten.  This seems to only be the case with maps generated after the update. Don't know if this helps, but I will keep exploring to see if this is the common link between them.

EDIT: After doing some tests I determined that some of the islands do this regardless if there is a trader there or not. I'll keep looking to see if I can find a common factor.

Edited by spiritchaser28
  • Upvote 1

On 8/14/2021 at 8:25 AM, spiritchaser28 said:

Why is this marked as resolved? It still happens.

Our testers determined this was the intended behavior but we'll look into everything that you guys have sent in ?

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

Thanks @Nikki Severin It just seems odd that it's only intended behavior for 1 island out of 5 on a map. 

I mean I know there's a limit on how much can be displayed and  I understand that, but I would personally rather have a map with 2 or 3 large islands I can see rather than have a map with 5 or 6 islands that has 1 island with no distant views. I definitely wouldn't build any houses on those style islands because I like watching the sunsets go down beyond the distant mountains. The odd thing is it only occurs on 1 island out of the entire map.  The pictures @Yo HasLEGO have posted above shows that he can see the island in the distance, but if he was on that other island in the distance he could not see the island he is standing on in the second picture even though it is the same equal distance. As a result that Island is always constantly loading when you move around on it which seems to reduce performance and game speed.

Maybe as a suggestion, always have the island you are on have a distant view fully rendered  so you can see the entire island you are on and have the distant islands not fully rendered until you get to them? I could even live with the idea of not seeing the other islands in the distance (or maybe just be able to see the island closest to you by a certain proximity?) if it would allow the island you are  currently on to be seen in it's full beauty. The game was sort of like that in the past. Some maps would even have up to 12 islands you could not see, which made traveling to them seem to take a little longer at times but felt more realistic. (being out in open ocean without being able to see any island in the distance at some times) The map function can always help people find the islands if they feel lost. 

On a side note, not being able to see the islands in the distance always makes the map feel much larger than it is., and I would prefer that option.

Edited by spiritchaser28
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, spiritchaser28 said:

The game was sort of like that in the past. Some maps would even have up to 12 islands you could not see, which made traveling to them seem to take a little longer at times but felt more realistic.

Ah you're bringing back good memories ?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Yo HasLEGO said:

Ah you're bringing back good memories 

Yeah. Remember when there wasn't a map function also? You could easily feel lost on the large maps. Some of the older legacy style maps still have this, but I suppose people complained about not being able to see islands in the distance. I'd rather be able to see the island I am currently occupying than see the distant islands....I'm not the only person that thinks this way, but I suppose the devs can't please everybody. I'm still all for the idea of having craftable maps. You would have to craft a map before you could access the map feature of the game. That's for another post however.

I guess the main thing that needs to be addressed with this issue is this....if you can see Island A from Island B....then it would make sense that you could see Island B from Island A....and any island you are currently occupying should be fully rendered...unless the island is so large that you cannot see the entire coastline unless you are every high in the sky....just my 2 cents.

I remember the backlash when they nerfed the propeller pack that many people wanted nerfed (including me) however....so maybe asking for this change might make other people upset as well? It's not quite as drastic a change as the pack nerf...but sometimes people just get irritated at any requested changes they decide to implement.

Edited by spiritchaser28

yeah i remember someone asking a while back if they could make it a bit harder to see the islands

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, bobo198312 said:

yeah i remember someone asking a while back if they could make it a bit harder to see the islands

I personally like the idea of them being hard to see in the distance....not so fond of the idea of not being able to see them when we are on them though.

• Upvote 3