Jump to content
  • 0
NoNoNumGum

How to bring back alpha players in 6 changes.

Question

1. Add old music back and keep the new music too 

2. Add first person back

3. Fix the GUI. Make it less bloated. Make it more like the alpha one

4. Bring back the old propeller pack. No one, I mean NO ONE asked for you nerfing it. Right back to the whole 'not listening to community' vibe.

5. Listen to your community

6. Make the game harder, as in, remove the island indicators, add back having to make maps from paper press, make zirconium less common, remove the island level indicators.

Expanding on 6:

Remove island indicators: Make sailing fun again. It's not fun to sail when you see the islands next to you and you can see an island on the compass rose. Make it so you have to see birds again to tell if there's an island, that was awesome.

Add back making maps: It's a lot less fun when you don't have to make a map. We wanna have to make a map. 

Make zirconium less common: Me and my friend got full zirconium and propeller packs in 3 hours of gameplay. That is endgame stuff. It should take at least like 100 hours to get it.

Remove island level indicators: If you see a island level indicator then you know where to go to get the best ores. Ruins all of the fun.

 

Edit: This is my last ditch effort to get you guys to fix Ylands. I respect all of the work you guys have done and I believe you guys are trying to fix ylands but you just don't seem to listen to your community. Out of all my posts I never felt heard. And even when your players who are youtubers like RedEagle tried to tell you how the game was being ruined, you guys were too stubborn to even listen to him. I've tried before and I'll try again to point out whats wrong and convince you guys to make the right changes but if this post doesn't work then I don't think there is any hope for this game. Stay classy.
 

Edited by NoNoNumGum
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

23 replies to this bug / suggestion

Recommended Posts

  • 0

1. Did people stop playing because of the music ? I stopped due to exploration being ignored and left to rot.

2. First person's a weird one since it seems to work fine, I assumed they took it out due to seeing through walls etc though that seems hard to do now, possibly as the caves are less random and cramped.

3. Some parts seem a mess, crafting menu is just all over the place and doesn't even update when you get an item like crafting a rope means you need to leave the menu and go back to use it, break and item stats need to be more accessible instead of in another screen, how hungry or hot/cold we are is also pretty vague.

Other parts should be improved, things like the compass could be a wearable accessory which lets you keep it on the screen.

4. I actually did, the old prop pack was OP, once you had it you were untouchable. It would be good if it had a charge or something where it would stay on, but when empty it works as it does now and overheats after 30 secs.

5. I have suggestion posts from 2018 which plenty of are still relevant and I've seen others complaining about the same things more recently, unfortunately I put a lot of them down to the exploration abandonment.

6. Might be better to make the map craftable then goes into the toolbox or something and works similar to how it does now, maybe some kind of knowledge skill to eventually marks island levels when you land on them if you want it to use it (would add some exploring back instead of instant knowledge what and where when you enter an area) 
I don't really see the current map as a big issue though. I DO remember getting irritated by not being able to craft one at some point/needing it active to fill in/needing pen or something to also fill it in.

Zirconium is WAY common though, I have more than I'll ever need within a couple of days but I can't find any coal.

 

IMO I'd say the actual issues, especially with early players is that explorations still massively lacking and exploration was the main game and focus before the editor and whatever that lobby thing is took over and it instead became an abandoned side attraction.
I think it HAS improved with the new world map/basically unlimited ylands and they seem to have acknowledged the abandonment, but still needs a lot of work such as more variety, like more biomes and mini-biomes with the fauna/flora etc that comes with those, more end game stuff like energy versions of the crafting stations.

Then there's things like the energy system which doesn't seem to have been touched since I made a post about parts of it in 2018 so it's still awkward and clunky, nothing notable seems to have been added like machine automation of any crafting or stations with improved outputs, alchemy is pretty pointless and could be expanded and having to take things out of inventory containers each time to use them's weird.
I get the choice for not wanting fully modern tech like planes etc but we have a prop pack, mining drill and energy generation whilst still relying on basic fires for crafting (except cooking).

Basically what we all bought as an alpha version of the game hasn't changed much apart from:
Random UI changes (main menu's a mess and has been for a long time, at least let us customise it and remove parts, literally all I want there is explore and MP explore options. Lobby was pointless and awful when I tried it, I don't need immediate access to any creation games and have 0 interest in Top Rated/New & Updated. Why would this clutter even be on a main menu ?)
Anything to do with affecting water being removed 
A couple of things like bones being removed
A few cosmetic type additions like enemies, blocks etc 
Avatars becoming weird mutants instead of angular like everything else
The music change
and recently the map changes which was the only one to have a big game changing impact and actually extend the playtime by not limiting you to a few ylands.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
On 7/10/2021 at 7:07 PM, NoNoNumGum said:

Bring back the old propeller pack. No one, I mean NO ONE asked for you nerfing it

Actually quite a few of us commented it was way to powerful. And they listened.

On 7/10/2021 at 7:07 PM, NoNoNumGum said:

Make the game harder

Sort of the point of nerfing the propeller pack.

On 7/10/2021 at 7:07 PM, NoNoNumGum said:

Make zirconium less common

I agree with this, but I would also like to see more items made with zirconium. A zirconium propeller pack that lasts longer, maybe some zirconium engines that are faster, etc.

On 7/10/2021 at 7:07 PM, NoNoNumGum said:

Add old music back and keep the new music too 

I have only heard the old music in youtube vids, but I quite liked it. I also enjoy the new music. I don't think anybody quit the game because of the music. It's all pretty great.

4 hours ago, leo_chaos said:

the compass could be a wearable accessory which lets you keep it on the screen.

This is a good idea! Or at the very least just have the compass at the top right whenever it's in your inventory instead of having to equip it all the time. to use it.

4 hours ago, leo_chaos said:

Might be better to make the map craftable then goes into the toolbox or something and works similar to how it does now, 

I Know they are working on several quality of life improvements for 1.8. I'd like to see them work more on the maps as well. Crafting a map is a good idea. If players do not want to use the map feature, then they just don't have to craft it.

 

4 hours ago, leo_chaos said:

there's things like the energy system which doesn't seem to have been touched since I made a post about parts of it in 2018

This was also brought up in the last live stream. A few things may improve a little regarding this in 1.8 hopefully, but it has been mentioned that they are going to do an energy update sometime in the future after 1.8. I think before that they may concentrate some updates on Animal and vehicle transport, pack animals, and some sort of ship and creature type of update. People have been begging for sharks and sea creatures and birds and more mythical creatures. I'm looking forward to seeing the changes they make in the future. I love the fact they can now add random encounters and more custom scenario mystery islands without really requiring us to update the program, so now exploration can always bring something new to find and surprise us.

 

4 hours ago, leo_chaos said:

I get the choice for not wanting fully modern tech like planes etc

Another thing discussed a bit in the last stream was flying vehicles such as hot air balloons and zeppelins. They want to implement this in the future but before it is done they mentioned it would be best to do after they have implemented some dangers in the sky as well, such as flying monsters and NPC's with ranged attacks etc. Not sure how long this will take but it's also something they say they are working on. I imagine it will take a bit of time since there are so many things to take into consideration and lots of work before they would allow it. Things like animations, designs, down to more complicated tasks like NPC AI and mundane things like assigning toughness  and damage to the vehicles, monsters, etc.

 

4 hours ago, leo_chaos said:

and recently the map changes which was the only one to have a big game changing impact and actually extend the playtime by not limiting you to a few ylands.

Ales mentioned in a previous stream they have figured out a way for the maps to be much larger. I hope this will come into play in 1.8. They just did a lot of work on topography so now we can see things like mountains again, they aren't as jagged as they used to be but this had more to do with NPC and AI pathfinding than anything else. Monsters and animals would get stuck in places....the more they improve on that sort of thing, I expect the more we will begin to see more rugged terrain, larger maps and smarter monsters.

By nature I am a very patient person, and this game is something that always appeals to that patience in me, whether it be crafting items, or slowly building some monumental house or ship, or planning the things I need to take with me before I go spelunking into that cave. I am constantly excited about the changes they make to the game, and those changes also require that sort of patience. I'm happy that I have to wait for them to get their updates to the point of  where the update is quite good and working correctly rather than getting fast updates with so many bugs and glitches that cause more problems than they solve. That sort of patience has proven to me that the rewards of waiting for a great update have not let me down.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
5 hours ago, leo_chaos said:

1. Did people stop playing because of the music ? I stopped due to exploration being ignored and left to rot.

This was one of the many reasons I stopped playing. Don't get me wrong the new music is good but I would like to see the old music and the new music both in the game.

5 hours ago, leo_chaos said:

3. Some parts seem a mess, crafting menu is just all over the place and doesn't even update when you get an item like crafting a rope means you need to leave the menu and go back to use it, break and item stats need to be more accessible instead of in another screen, how hungry or hot/cold we are is also pretty vague.

Yeah, and compared to the alpha gui, this one is waaay worse

5 hours ago, leo_chaos said:

4. I actually did, the old prop pack was OP, once you had it you were untouchable. It would be good if it had a charge or something where it would stay on, but when empty it works as it does now and overheats after 30 secs.

See here's my point: The propeller pack is WAAY too easy to get. Back to the thing with making the game harder. What they should do is have a very OP propeller pack at the END of the game. It should take at least 100 hours of gameplay to get it, not 3 hours.

5 hours ago, leo_chaos said:

5. I have suggestion posts from 2018 which plenty of are still relevant and I've seen others complaining about the same things more recently, unfortunately I put a lot of them down to the exploration abandonment.

Yes when they started abandoning exploration, lots of people were telling them what they were doing and instead of telling us they were going to fix it, they released 3 more updates for the editor. And every single one of those updates, they said the next update would fix exploration. Never happened. 

5 hours ago, leo_chaos said:

6. Might be better to make the map craftable then goes into the toolbox or something and works similar to how it does now, maybe some kind of knowledge skill to eventually marks island levels when you land on them if you want it to use it (would add some exploring back instead of instant knowledge what and where when you enter an area) 
I don't really see the current map as a big issue though. I DO remember getting irritated by not being able to craft one at some point/needing it active to fill in/needing pen or something to also fill it in.

Zirconium is WAY common though, I have more than I'll ever need within a couple of days but I can't find any coal.

I just feel that I am not exploring any more. I can simply go to global map and then select what biome I want to find, then go to my map and see what island is level 3 and then look at the island indicator get all the zirconium i could ever want. It is just too easy. It doesn't feel like a survival game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
25 minutes ago, spiritchaser28 said:

 I am constantly excited about the changes they make to the game, and those changes also require that sort of patience

I agree, patience been chipped away at from years of mainly updates which added nothing to exploration and so much effort put into the lobby type stuff which seems few players have any interest in though, my old suggestion posts had common complaints at the time which are still common enough 3 years later but since those posts Playlands was added which most I've ever seen was 3 other people in there, I just joined and was on my own, it makes the wait for improvements rather frustrating, especially when it got released as 1.0 during that time but explore was still barren.

I'm happy to wait for progress when progress is actually being made, thankfully exploration is getting attention again now, I just hope it stays in the right direction.
Hopefully lighting is improved too, the scuba mask light is pointless, you can't hold anything underwater (but can eat) and carrying a crystal is a better lightsource than any tech we can make lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
46 minutes ago, spiritchaser28 said:

Actually quite a few of us commented it was way to powerful. And they listened.

As I mentioned above, the propeller pack should be OP because it should be an endgame tool that you worked to get for tons of hours. It should be a tool you use when you want to build since you have already done everything else to do in the game.

 

46 minutes ago, spiritchaser28 said:

Sort of the point of nerfing the propeller pack.

Hard and tedious have different meanings.

Tedious - too long, slow, or dull; tiresome or monotonous.

Hard - with a great deal of effort.

Hard things can still be fun. Them nerfing the propeller pack isn't making the game harder. It's making it more tedious, which isn't fun. They should've made the propeller pack harder to get instead of making it worse.

46 minutes ago, spiritchaser28 said:

I have only heard the old music in youtube vids, but I quite liked it. I also enjoy the new music. I don't think anybody quit the game because of the music. It's all pretty great.

Yeah I like the new music too but the old music just really hits back home. ❤️
 

Edited by NoNoNumGum

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

And on top of all of this, you can see that the devs are doing something wrong since:

https://steamcharts.com/app/298610#All

You can see here that the game has progressively lost players since alpha. With most peaks only being  players coming back to see updates and then leaving again.

Edited by NoNoNumGum

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
3 minutes ago, NoNoNumGum said:

 The propeller pack is WAAY too easy to get

I don't think it's AS easy for new players, my first playthroughs it took me a while to get end game stuff, then you learn what's pointless to build and what's worth it and massively streamline your progress.
I think even in its current state the prop pack's OP, I now just hover to move quicker, hover to kill stuff to I can not get hit, fly into caves landing to charge up occasionally, grab what I want and get out, I don't even have to waste time killing them in there.
The only difference is I have to spend 1-2 secs potentially at risk and old pack I was never at risk.
How do you make it harder to get without increasing how tedious it already is to get? crafting steel is boring when you need so much and it takes different crafting stages on different crafting stations which need their fuel monitored.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
12 minutes ago, leo_chaos said:

How do you make it harder to get without increasing how tedious it already is to get? crafting steel is boring when you need so much and it takes different crafting stages on different crafting stations which need their fuel monitored.

Hide the recipe behind fighting a boss, make the materials harder to get, change what materials you need, add new materials that you need, changing how you get the materials, etc.

I agree though that some parts of it are tedious, but several other games have made items hard to get but still fun. Minecraft with the elytra, valheim with getting any new type of armor, ARK with getting TEK gear. They both hide the recipes and OP items behind bosses. So maybe that's a turn that ylands needs to take. 

I feel that if other games can make OP items hard but fun to get, then ylands can too. (Without making it tedious)

 

Edited by NoNoNumGum

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
1 minute ago, NoNoNumGum said:

the game has progressively lost players since alpha.

Yup, I think the Playlands and making the game free but with exploration as a "DLC" was supposed to get more people to try the game and end up buying, which IMO backfired quite drastically.
The issue was adding Playlands and so much focus on anything BUT exploration meant the players that WERE playing got bored and stopped, so anyone trying out the free stuff had a multiplayer part of the game which wants you to spend money for minigames but there's no other players there and there's no word of mouth since the early players were mainly complaining that there was no progression on exploration fixes.

The issue now is getting the attention back, I've kept my eye on the changelogs and updates even when I wasn't playing and so have a few others I know, but most of them are so "meh"
The music change for example, seemed a nice idea but who cares how a game sounds if you don't play it?
Adding a couple of new enemies you see once in a blue moon... so ?
NPC's were a nice thought but even now they're like zombies, they wander around their building pointlessly till they vanish at night with no schedule of daily actions or anything and their wares are helpful at best.
It's basically polishing a turd, the base gameplay needs improving before worrying about this kind of thing

The world map and Ylands which can be reset so you don't finish exploring your whole game in a few hours - yes ! finally something which actually adds and is likely to get some old attention back. It needs a lot more stuff before it will keep anyone back though, what's the point of exploring the same looking places over and over for ... nothing new ?  (still seeing old frustrations REALLY doesn't help keep anyone who comes back either... still no damn pause)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
6 minutes ago, NoNoNumGum said:

Hide the recipe behind fighting a boss

The combat is AWFUL in Ylands, it also forces combat on those who don't want to.

 

6 minutes ago, NoNoNumGum said:

make the materials harder to get, change what materials you need, add new materials that you need, changing how you get the materials, etc

Apart from how you get them, adding new mats just for something like this or needing more seems very tedious to me, perhaps needing Ylandium or Zirconium and them not being so abundant could help. Ylandium used to feel like a massive achievement and effort to get, yet now I have too much.

 

7 minutes ago, NoNoNumGum said:

I feel that if other games can make OP items hard but fun to get, then ylands can too. (Without making it tedious)

The issue is fun and tedious are individual tastes. If I was stuck fighting bosses in how the game currently is I dunno if I'd bother coming back at all, I got it for an exploring orientated game, not combat.
I like exploring new area types to see things I haven't seen before and solving puzzles. I would rather scrub my bathroom than play a game like FIFA yet millions of people love it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
20 minutes ago, leo_chaos said:

Yup, I think the Playlands and making the game free but with exploration as a "DLC" was supposed to get more people to try the game and end up buying, which IMO backfired quite drastically.
The issue was adding Playlands and so much focus on anything BUT exploration meant the players that WERE playing got bored and stopped, so anyone trying out the free stuff had a multiplayer part of the game which wants you to spend money for minigames but there's no other players there and there's no word of mouth since the early players were mainly complaining that there was no progression on exploration fixes.

The issue now is getting the attention back, I've kept my eye on the changelogs and updates even when I wasn't playing and so have a few others I know, but most of them are so "meh"
The music change for example, seemed a nice idea but who cares how a game sounds if you don't play it?
Adding a couple of new enemies you see once in a blue moon... so ?
NPC's were a nice thought but even now they're like zombies, they wander around their building pointlessly till they vanish at night with no schedule of daily actions or anything and their wares are helpful at best.
It's basically polishing a turd, the base gameplay needs improving before worrying about this kind of thing

The world map and Ylands which can be reset so you don't finish exploring your whole game in a few hours - yes ! finally something which actually adds and is likely to get some old attention back. It needs a lot more stuff before it will keep anyone back though, what's the point of exploring the same looking places over and over for ... nothing new ?  (still seeing old frustrations REALLY doesn't help keep anyone who comes back either... still no damn pause)

Yes I 100% agree. I used to say that they tried to mix roblox, minecraft, and ark into one game which makes poop because when you mix too many colors you get brown.

 

11 minutes ago, leo_chaos said:

The combat is AWFUL in Ylands, it also forces combat on those who don't want to.

That's true.

 

13 minutes ago, leo_chaos said:

Apart from how you get them, adding new mats just for something like this or needing more seems very tedious to me, perhaps needing Ylandium or Zirconium and them not being so abundant could help. Ylandium used to feel like a massive achievement and effort to get, yet now I have too much.

 

The issue is fun and tedious are individual tastes. If I was stuck fighting bosses in how the game currently is I dunno if I'd bother coming back at all, I got it for an exploring orientated game, not combat.
I like exploring new area types to see things I haven't seen before and solving puzzles. I would rather scrub my bathroom than play a game like FIFA yet millions of people love it.

Yes true. I feel that their biggest mistake was trying to mix 2 types of communities together, with the editor and the exploration in one game. 

I still don't even know if I would come back to play if they added my 6 suggestions. I just feel like ylands isnt what it used to be, but i cant seem to put a pin on what exactly is wrong with it. I just miss the old ylands.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

The editor I thought was a really good idea, making it free wasn't a bad choice either but the amount of focus on that instead of the game was a failure.
I got Ylands cause I thought it looked like Minecraft without the block style which I don't particularly like.
There's just nothing end game, currently I'm going to new areas (I haven't even been all biomes yet but there's nothing really to do anymore) and mapping the ylands looking for the random buildings so I can learn recipes and find non craftables might have a use for.

I build a massive steel structure in the middle of the sea in the old game, but I don't see the point in something like that ATM cause I don't see much point in playing for long again till more's added too see with less frustration, I got a few more hours the past couple of days though at least.
Regardless I have 100% in all had my moneys worth from the game, it's just a shame to see it not reach its potential after being 1.0 and after so long. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
4 hours ago, NoNoNumGum said:

As I mentioned above, the propeller pack should be OP because it should be an endgame tool that you worked to get for tons of hours

Hmm usually only takes me a couple hours to get one from starting with nothing. Never saw it as an endgame tool because I never saw the game as having any real ending.

 

3 hours ago, leo_chaos said:

The world map and Ylands which can be reset so you don't finish exploring your whole game in a few hours - yes ! finally something which actually adds and is likely to get some old attention back. It needs a lot more stuff before it will keep anyone back though, what's the point of exploring the same looking places over and over for ... nothing new ?

One of the main focuses for the last few updates was to be able to constantly add new random encounters and new custom made maps without us having to download new updates. They pretty much achieved that goal now. If your map has been totally explored you do not need to delete all your progress, you can simply delete a map that you no longer wish to explore and a new one with the possibility of new encounters will appear in it's place. Naru is working on an encounter that should be out very soon before the next update hits. (Hopefully..I still want my pots and ladels haha) The prospect of the world constantly changing with a steady stream of new encounters got me the most excited about the exploration updates they have been releasing. I do agree with your points earlier that it took a long time and they focused most their efforts on editor and playlands for too long....but they are pretty much done with adding things there with the exception of a few tweaks here and there. There really isn't much more they can do to make editor better aside from giving us more assets to play with, and many of those assets will be introduced in exploration, along with the ability to edit your exploration maps and make custom islands of your own  that may be able to be seen by everybody through their competitions and eventually be part of the overall game for everyone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Players  want  what they want...and  complain if they do not get it. The issue is  not all players want the same and the Devs  have to add and  subtract  to  keep  everyone happy, 

But as they say,  a  camel is a horse  designed  by a committee, and  as  players   scream  for    Boss monsters,  flying  things,  more  combat,  less combat, whatever etc   we get an uglier  camel!

But  Camels  are useful  in the proper  environment ... :)  .. they  no good in the arctic  or tropics....... ( and harder to  like  than horses...)

So perhaps  the players  should  stop pestering the  devs  to add  things that will make  Ylands the  same as all the other  games of this  genre, and let them  follow their   roadmap and  get what's here working properly  first

To be  honest ...if   the  games changes to require  fighting  monsters and  Boss monsters  to proceed... then  its  just like the plethora of  other   teen/anime  based  kill everything games ... and   people like me   wont be  bothered.

To  the  devs...    you cannot  please everyone  all the time.   Look at the  original  game  and its initial success...and  work  from there.   :)

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
2 hours ago, spiritchaser28 said:

Hmm usually only takes me a couple hours to get one from starting with nothing. Never saw it as an endgame tool because I never saw the game as having any real ending.

Yes exactly. It should be buffed again and then made harder to get. And my apologies for referring to it as a "endgame" item, what I mean is: A powerful item like zirconium. I called netherite armor in minecraft endgame stuff even though it doesn't end either. My bad.
 

 

45 minutes ago, kimbuck said:

Players  want  what they want...and  complain if they do not get it. The issue is  not all players want the same and the Devs  have to add and  subtract  to  keep  everyone happy, 

But as they say,  a  camel is a horse  designed  by a committee, and  as  players   scream  for    Boss monsters,  flying  things,  more  combat,  less combat, whatever etc   we get an uglier  camel!

But  Camels  are useful  in the proper  environment ... :)  .. they  no good in the arctic  or tropics....... ( and harder to  like  than horses...)

So perhaps  the players  should  stop pestering the  devs  to add  things that will make  Ylands the  same as all the other  games of this  genre, and let them  follow their   roadmap and  get what's here working properly  first

To be  honest ...if   the  games changes to require  fighting  monsters and  Boss monsters  to proceed... then  its  just like the plethora of  other   teen/anime  based  kill everything games ... and   people like me   wont be  bothered.

To  the  devs...    you cannot  please everyone  all the time.   Look at the  original  game  and its initial success...and  work  from there.   :)

 

Half of the stuff I suggested used to be in the game. The old GUI, First person, and the old propeller pack, the physical map, alpha music, and more.

Edited by NoNoNumGum
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
13 hours ago, leo_chaos said:

1. Did people stop playing because of the music ?

It's not a minor point. The game I fell in love with had a chill vibe. I spent hundreds of hours in SP before I ever moved out to the multiplayer servers.  It is a VERY different game now.  

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
9 hours ago, spiritchaser28 said:

One of the main focuses for the last few updates was to be able to constantly add new random encounters and new custom made maps without us having to download new updates. They pretty much achieved that goal now.

I'm glad, I like the new map change, how the random encounters are set up is good and I'm glad they're back to exploration finally. I'm used to EA games and I'm happy to wait for things to improve etc, 1.0 versions which have long standing issues are a bit of annoyance for me though since it should be the quality of a finished product regardless of more being added and changed in the future so I definitely judge harsher after that point.

 

8 hours ago, kimbuck said:

you cannot  please everyone  all the time.   Look at the  original  game  and its initial success...and  work  from there

100% which is why I said about the fun and tediousness being individual tastes, bosses are exciting for some and boring for others. To me puzzles are a fun challenge if done right but easy to make tedious and to someone not into them they're frustrating and boring. The solution is either have multiple ways of achieving the same goal or probably the better though not exclusive one (at least main goal) and more along the lines you said, just stick to the game plan and if anything tweak it to feedback, if players don't like the game perhaps it's not for them.

Slight issue here though comes from what bojo2736 is saying, the game we have now isn't the one we were advertised and bought. To me the Avatar change was awful, they matched the game aesthetic then became freaky looking things I would expect to see in any game, I'm sure a lot of people love them though. 
It's also where they tripped themselves up IMO, they took the original game idea of explore and the editor...shifted focus, threw Playlands etc at it and it went a bit downhill until recently.

 

8 hours ago, NoNoNumGum said:

Half of the stuff I suggested used to be in the game. The old GUI, First person, and the old propeller pack, the physical map, alpha music, and more.

If anything's changed and not just new optional assets added they're always going to get mixed reviews about it.
GUI and music are improvements from one persons view and abominations from another, some can be failed attempts with good intentions like the few GUI changes we've had over time or just the preference of the studio.
My main issues with GUI now is the organisation of it all in game, I'd still prefer gauges to show heat and hunger since humans don't just suddenly go from fine to suffering from heat/starving, it's a gradual thing. Obviously the main menu too, probably the most weirdly cluttered I've ever seen.  
Maps similar I suppose, it's a change which could be tweaked but not everyone's going to like it, the kind of things I mentioned above might help best of both worlds so people can just not use some features if they don't want though.

The loss of water manipulation and land near it and I assume the 1st person camera are technical issues, I agree with removing them to focus elsewhere then coming back to them, but I wouldn't have expected 1.0 to happen before then. At least my main issue with 1st person was It let you place items properly and that's solved with the current implementation, since I play in 3rd person anyway it's not an issue for me anymore.

The prop pack's essentially a requested change by players, though from a long time ago but it's also an example of not being able to please everyone.
Really struggling with the prop pack issue though since it's still extremely op, perhaps they need an upgrade for it which puts it back how it was or some kinda middle ground but with massive build requirements?
I think the idea was to ease movement rather than become main source and they just took so long to actually address it, my 2018 post it must have already been being looking at since Ane mentioned charging it.
The only thing I miss about the old one was being able to just fly up a bit to keep me safe if I need to answer the door or something due to lack of pause.

 

6 hours ago, bojo2736 said:

It's not a minor point. The game I fell in love with had a chill vibe. I spent hundreds of hours in SP before I ever moved out to the multiplayer servers.  It is a VERY different game now. 

It's very different I agree, what I meant though was with music the worst case is turn it off and play without or play your own music. It's not the same and I WOULD rather a game has music I'm happy with but unless it's a music orientated game I'm not going to stop playing due to it.
Perhaps the old music should be in the old style exploration I saw on the menu to essentially just give access to the old game (I assume it's just the few ylands spawned at random how they used to be)
 

  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
10 hours ago, leo_chaos said:

It's very different I agree, what I meant though was with music the worst case is turn it off and play without or play your own music. It's not the same and I WOULD rather a game has music I'm happy with but unless it's a music orientated game I'm not going to stop playing due to it.
Perhaps the old music should be in the old style exploration I saw on the menu to essentially just give access to the old game (I assume it's just the few ylands spawned at random how they used to be)

I like the new music too but I just still don't understand the point in removing the old music too. And it's not that people stopped playing because of the music alone, there were many things that added up, including the music, that ruined the game for a lot of people.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Hey everyone! 

Just wanted to say that I really appreciate how civil and constructive this thread is. I want to spend more time going through it in detail and also discussing it with the team. 

Thank you all for your input and we will of course inform you of the changes that are planned. 

Once again, thank you for taking the time, we will take it too to make sure that we really understand your feedback.

dsfasdf.gif

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

I am deleting this because I don't want to offend anyone

Edited by NoNoNumGum
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Adam was awesome.  No shade to Nikki, she's doing a good job, but Adam paid a lot of attention to the group. He was available and approachable.  He even played with us occasionally.  Not sure why you felt the need to take a comment about how we are having a nice civil discussion to insult a guy who did a great job, and who is not here to defend himself.  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

@NoNoNumGum Adam was great and so is Nikki. They both have different styles but I think they were both great choices as Community managers (or warlocks hehe) Adam was pretty good at answering my questions and listening to my suggestions and so is Nikki. Plus I got to know a bit about Adam as a person as well as Nikki. Bottom line for me is they are both good people and have satisfied my expectations. At the end of the day we are all only human, and we all have different tastes. Adam decided to move on to another job, but I still see him occasionally hanging out on discord. I personally thought when Adam left it would be difficult to fill his shoes, but Nikki is doing a great job. Sorry to hear that Adam didn't pay as much attention to you as Nikki does, but I can honestly say that wasn't the case for everyone that knows Adam. 

  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
On 7/26/2021 at 7:49 PM, bojo2736 said:

Adam was awesome.  No shade to Nikki, she's doing a good job, but Adam paid a lot of attention to the group. He was available and approachable.  He even played with us occasionally.  Not sure why you felt the need to take a comment about how we are having a nice civil discussion to insult a guy who did a great job, and who is not here to defend himself.  

I was not trying to offend anybody I simply think that Nikki pays more attention and answers more. Or maybe Adam just didn't like me ?‍♂️

On 7/26/2021 at 11:36 PM, spiritchaser28 said:

@NoNoNumGum Adam was great and so is Nikki. They both have different styles but I think they were both great choices as Community managers (or warlocks hehe) Adam was pretty good at answering my questions and listening to my suggestions and so is Nikki. Plus I got to know a bit about Adam as a person as well as Nikki. Bottom line for me is they are both good people and have satisfied my expectations. At the end of the day we are all only human, and we all have different tastes. Adam decided to move on to another job, but I still see him occasionally hanging out on discord. I personally thought when Adam left it would be difficult to fill his shoes, but Nikki is doing a great job. Sorry to hear that Adam didn't pay as much attention to you as Nikki does, but I can honestly say that wasn't the case for everyone that knows Adam. 

Yeah sorry to offend anybody. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×