Sign in to follow this  
Eranderil Nix Grey

Multiplayer Whack.

Question

My friends and I are trying to get together to try out the new exploration update. The problem is... we can't. It says that you should be able to join each other on the starting island or visit or whatever, but when we host to co-op the published bar remains unpublished and we have no option to invite each other. Not through steam, not through ylands. We would like to play together from the ground up, but that doesn't seem possible. What am I missing to get my friend into my game? Or is it legitimately just a case of "you need to progress enough to get a ship and leave the starting island" first. It also says something about "share your multiplayer-enabled ylands to your friends so they can visit" or whatever, but there is no option to do this. Been fighting with it for 2 and a half hours with nothing to show for it but a trio of frustrated friends. I tried sending my starting yland to sharegames thinking that might be what it meant, but it reports that "mystery ylands cannot be shared" or some such.

What is needed for friends to join the game on the starting island for the new exploration? Cause' as it stands it is ridiculously obscure and frustrating?

12 replies to this bug / suggestion

first did you buy the dlc or just on the demo and to share a map you press m for map and there should be a sideways v next to the name of the map thats the share button on the regional or world map

Edited by bobo198312

Okay! Thank you bobo, that is not at all clear. Dev team? Two big things. Please make a way for us to start on the same yland, or join each other directly. Preferably through steam, cause what you have in game is extremely clunky and unclear. You have access to this function as this is how exploration used to work- nothing wrong with using it. Item 2; Please give some kind of highlight to where the share button is, cause that is so obscure I never, ever, would have found it. A simple line with a circle pointing to it with a text blurb would do, triggered when activating multiplayer for the first time. 

Thank you for your time and hard work..

Yup. But the game should point that out internally, as that is a very very obscure button. It just looks like a frill or a decoration and not an interactable. Calling attention to it in game like you just did should be standard. While being able to share islands this way is nice, it shouldn't be the sole means of connecting to each other. Like I said, I'd like to jump straight in together and build up from nothing rather than having to progress a quarter of the crafting tree to unlock the raft. To be honest, just posting this picture inside the in-game tutorial page talking about sharing the island to multiplayer would do the trick.

To be fair, this is the first time I have ever actually felt the need to build the raft. So maybe there is a plus hidden in there somewhere.  This setup remains painfully unintuitive however. 

Edited by Eranderil Nix Grey

There really should be a small tutorial about this in the game. A lot of people do get confused about it. Or perhaps a link in the game that takes you to a forum page with different tutorials. Just a thought.

• Like 1

If there was a small tutorial about it, it somehow never cropped up for me (nor my two friends) and this definitely wasn't made clear in the codex nor the web page the codex linked to. Like I said, this isn't hard to fix. A static image with a line to the text saying "share multiplayer enabled ylands..." that draws to that button with a circle around the button directly on the codex page would largely fix this issue. The multiplayer tab of the codex page would be appropriate for this. Basically just clean up what bobo posted here and put it in the codex. You probably don't even need more context, but a text blurb wouldn't hurt. 

You will never convince me, however, that people shouldn't be able to directly join and start on the same yland. Having to make a chunk of progress in the tech tree in order to meet up in multiplayer makes the process overly complicated and frustrating. Essentially; it muddies waters that need no muddying.

It's cool to be able to share each other's ylands like this- it allows you to travel to each other's base of operations which is great once the game is more advanced or both players have been playing single for a while and decide they want to meet up. Genuinely, its a fantastic feature. This is just a poor use of that amazing feature. It's like using a chainsaw to build sand castles. It works... but why would you do that?

• Like 1

On 7/13/2021 at 11:56 AM, spiritchaser28 said:

There really should be a small tutorial about this in the game. A lot of people do get confused about it. Or perhaps a link in the game that takes you to a forum page with different tutorials. Just a thought.

I think it is your turn to make a youtube tutorial with a voiceover ?

• Haha 1

Hey! 

We will be making a lot of QoL changes in 1.8 and Multiplayer should be one of them, thanks for all the pointers, we're gonna try and make it as easy to play together as possible ? 

• Like 1