Sign in to follow this  
JaneDoe

Transmogrifier!

Question

Hey,

I think finding specific resources can be difficult for people sometimes. I've searched all five islands in my current game and have yet to find a coal deposit.

I am avidly against cheating, so I tried to come up with my own little system to exchange resources without feeling like I was breaking the rules. I would delete resources I had and spawn what I needed. E.g. I would delete 10 clay and spawn 1 iron ore. Or 10 iron ore for 1 coal etc.

Then I thought, what if there was an actual system in game for this? What if there was a ylandium crystal powered machine that you could build, maybe throw a little alchemy in there for good measure, like maybe feed it a potion every so often to give it its magic, that could transform the resources you put into it into something else you needed more?

I dunno. It's not exactly simple, but I think it's an idea that's got legs.

Thanks!

-JaneDoeChainsaw

4 replies to this bug / suggestion

2 hours ago, JaneDoe said:

Hey,

I think finding specific resources can be difficult for people sometimes. I've searched all five islands in my current game and have yet to find a coal deposit.

I am avidly against cheating, so I tried to come up with my own little system to exchange resources without feeling like I was breaking the rules. I would delete resources I had and spawn what I needed. E.g. I would delete 10 clay and spawn 1 iron ore. Or 10 iron ore for 1 coal etc.

Then I thought, what if there was an actual system in game for this? What if there was a ylandium crystal powered machine that you could build, maybe throw a little alchemy in there for good measure, like maybe feed it a potion every so often to give it its magic, that could transform the resources you put into it into something else you needed more?

I dunno. It's not exactly simple, but I think it's an idea that's got legs.

Thanks!

-JaneDoeChainsaw

This actually sounds like a good idea in one way, but makes it kinda easy to just stay on one island. What about you first have to have at least 1 of the item you want to make? Also, coal can be found on a variety of islands, are you sure you've checked everywhere? :) 

Adrie

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, WijkagentAdrie said:

This actually sounds like a good idea in one way, but makes it kinda easy to just stay on one island. What about you first have to have at least 1 of the item you want to make? Also, coal can be found on a variety of islands, are you sure you've checked everywhere? :) 

Adrie

I'm sure I've just overlooked it somewhere, I have a hard time differentiating between the shade of the ground sometimes for no other reason than the fact that I'm a goon.

I know what you mean though with it making it easier to stay on one island. But if you are building any significant project you will still run out of resources even with the transmogrifier. Especially with the cost offset appropriately. If you need a lot of steel, you'll be going through a ton of clay for instance, so the need to find more resources will still be there.

I think this would be especially helpful for latecomers on multiplayer servers that have been squeezed for all their more precious commodities.

-JaneDoeChainsaw

Edited by JaneDoe

One possible work-around (not a fix but a temp solution), could be for the server owner to spawn a bunch of small boats around the starting yland, this would encourage new players to simply collect some food and move on to another yland elsewhere, where they can be free to collect resources etc.

I have a feeling though I could be wrong, that the intent is to have players go out to other ylands in search of resources, bringing them back home etc. Resources thus have a real value attached, consider with a large population multiplayer experience, that someone might come to trade from you, by bringing you raw resources that you can use for other things, the fact that these resources are finite in the world, and once the close-to-hand resources run out, the value on them only increases, as the distance to travel to obtain them becomes greater, and you have a system that quite accurately mimics a working economy in the real world!

This in itself would likely lead to players becoming merchant traders, using their ships to carry cargo between places, and likewise, other players becoming pirates, seeking to steal that booty for their own! As it did in real life as well! :)

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, John - Ylanders said:

One possible work-around (not a fix but a temp solution), could be for the server owner to spawn a bunch of small boats around the starting yland, this would encourage new players to simply collect some food and move on to another yland elsewhere, where they can be free to collect resources etc.

I have a feeling though I could be wrong, that the intent is to have players go out to other ylands in search of resources, bringing them back home etc. Resources thus have a real value attached, consider with a large population multiplayer experience, that someone might come to trade from you, by bringing you raw resources that you can use for other things, the fact that these resources are finite in the world, and once the close-to-hand resources run out, the value on them only increases, as the distance to travel to obtain them becomes greater, and you have a system that quite accurately mimics a working economy in the real world!

This in itself would likely lead to players becoming merchant traders, using their ships to carry cargo between places, and likewise, other players becoming pirates, seeking to steal that booty for their own! As it did in real life as well! :)

Can you imagine how awesome servers are gonna be as soon as there are more (infinite?) remote islands/island groups? The further everyone advances, the further you're gonna have to go for raw resources. It could be nice to have small outposts far away and people that ship the resources over from the "colonies" to the mainlands :) 

Adrie

• Upvote 1