Sign in to follow this  
Pyelot

Low spec Android phones not compatible

Question

You mentioned in the livestream #184, phone support which , I know has been around for a while. So I thought that because we (MiniPyleot and I) both had new android phones (different makes)  both with android v9 pie, We thought that I would try it for the first time.  Alas, it didn't even show up in the google playlist.

I dug deeper with google and the web version of play store says it's incompatible with our phones.  So I then dug into the Ylands forums and found this.....

----------------------------------------------------------------

On 2/14/2020 at 5:00 PM, Thiago Wesley said:

" It is not compatible with inferior phones. Please help me Optimize this game for 1 GB ram or 2 GB ram phones it will be good, where I live (Brazil) few have cell phones above 3 GB ram. It will be a success when this game is accessible to everyone"

------------------------------------------------------------------

So it seems it was not related to android version but phone specs for technical reasons.  Where did "Thiago Wesley" get the information about memory RAM limitation size. I can't find a minimum spec size and it was not mentioned on the live stream, that this is a factor.  Our phones are both 2gb Ram + 32gb internal for Apps, so clearly a bit miffed, having got our hopes up and no chance of upgrading to more expensive model phones. His post was 1 year ago, and even now phone specs for the masses are still cheaper for 1 or 2gb RAM phones, with storage memory easily paged upto 32gb or more.

1) What is the official minimum spec list or where can I find it?

2) Is there something you could do to make these lower specs mobile phones users participate or help our PC online exploration efforts? For example getting or mining for resources, planting crops, sailing to new islands  etc so when we get back to the PC it could be synced and we've achieved something whilst, sitting on a bus with our mobile phones,for example. We don't need full crafting, terrain modding or things that take the extra RAM, just a subset of basic functions, most likely that involving moving or discovery.

Edited by Pyelot
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 replies to this bug / suggestion

Personally I do not play games on phones. Even the high end phones have limitations as to what they can do, so I don't know the answers to some of your questions.....however one thing I do know is they are working towards addressing some of the concerns you have. With a game that is so memory intense even on high end computers I would think it's  a daunting task to try to translate that gaming experience to mobile. I'm sure it's a slow process that requires outside the box sort of thinking for the devs. 

Anyhow, I was quite surprised when I learned that exploration DLC is now available for phones. I am positive it's not the same full experience you would get from playing it on PC, but it's a small step in the right direction. One of your questions was

16 hours ago, Pyelot said:

Is there something you could do to make these lower specs mobile phones users participate or help our PC online exploration efforts? For example getting or mining for resources, planting crops, sailing to new islands  etc

I knew when they introduced ore deposits in the game that this feature was specifically geared towards people that play on mobile devices. It's not the same thing as terrain modification on computers but it does allow mobile users to have better access to the resources they desire, and since exploration is now available this also addresses the desire to sail to new islands.....as for planting crops.....Not sure what they are planning as an alternative on mobile devices but since they have taken these small steps I would think the devs are trying to work on a solution that works for mobile.....Again, small steps in the right direction.

I would also like to know what specs are needed to play on mobile phones even though I never plan on playing games anytime soon on a phone, and it would be nice to see what sort of roadmap they have got planned for the future of mobile gaming. People ask me questions about the game all the time when I am in multiplayer rooms. New players always have a ton of questions and I am glad to help them within the limits of my skillset. Ask me about crafting something, where to find things, building tips and tricks, I generally have an answer....ask me about scripting my answer is usually "I know someone who may know that answer" LOL. We all have our skillsets.

Since the last update I have ran into more people playing on mobile...and if they have questions about the mobile version, that's when I can say "I really don't know the answer, and I don't know many people to ask about it except @Nikki Severin and Ales. ( because they know people directly that do have the answers haha)

I tagged you Nikki because you are awesome at answering questions, and these specific questions are things that more people are asking about. I personally only want to know the answers so I can give some answers to the people that ask. Thanks in advance :)

Edited by spiritchaser28

it happens the same with computers. Low spec computers will also run slow, a lot of lag or it will not run at all. Im surprised they achieved ylands for mobiles, and how the game state is actually, its not even possible to make it work for low specs. Its technically impossible.

My last mobile was not compatible with ylands, but the new one is a little better and runs ylands very good.

i fear you will have to get new mobiles. Anyway, whoever played on computer like you and me, you will not like playing on mobile, in my opinion. Its a total different gameplay experience