Nikki Severin

Season 2: Creator Guidelines

Ready to start creating? Read on!

We're created a few guidelines that can help you realize your vision and not make us have to change anything in your Mystery Yland for it to be added into the Exploration mode.

For those unlucky few who haven't visited our Mystery Ylands yet, it can contain unusual terrain, dungeon, puzzle, combat pretty much anything you can come up with. Think about it as creating something that you yourself would love to encounter in the game. Be mindful about what the players can collect and take home from your Mystery Ylands. Try to strike a balance of a meaningful reward without drowning the player in loot.

General design limitations:

• Mystery Ylands maps should contain only one small to medium sized yland.
  • Mystery Yland must be playable both on PC and on mobile - do not base the gameplay on terrain modification and don't use scripted terrain modification events. Universal scenarios may be extended in size using the Enable Terrain Streaming option in Game Settings. Typically, Mystery Ylands are scenarios of size 15x3x15 (including the ocean). With this setting on, the memory indicator will take into consideration the whole scene in editor. This number does not reflect the memory load in-game, as the scene is drawn only partially. For best practices on optimization, see here.
  • The terrain can be created in the editor as you see fit, however leave enough water around so other players can reach the yland on their ships.
  • The map must be set to multiplayer game (Game settings - Local single player game - OFF)

Other design limitations:

• Avoid using particles and colors with glow on items, that can be carried away from the Mystery Yland. We reserve the right to have these items removed from the scenario. Rewards granted for completion of the Mystery Yland may be discussed with us in a later stage of the competition.
  • Avoid changing parameters (damage, resistances, price...) of items, that can be carried away from the Mystery Yland, beyond a reasonable scope. We reserve the right to have these items removed from the scenario.

Testing of the Mystery Yland:

• You can upload the scenario to workshop for testing purposes as long as it remains hidden from the general player base.
    • The testing scenario needs to be removed from the workshop prior to it's upload to the competition cloud storage.

Putting editor created maps into Exploration unfortunately comes with some disadvantages scripting-wise. Here is a couple of things that you should avoid while creating Mystery Ylands so it works as you intended once it is added on the Exploration map:

• Player, objects in his inventory and objects on his ship lose their internal identification once player leaves the Mystery Yland or when player disconnects from the game. This means that you shouldn't reference specific IDs of these or identify them with Entity Labels or Entity Storages. All of these change when player leaves the Mystery Yland.
    • Example: Locked door requires specific object to be placed somewhere and that opens a door forward. If the player would take the object into his inventory, left the Mystery Yland and came back, the script would no longer recognize the object and player would not be able to progress.
    • Example 2: An attached entity storage/label to a player would lose it's information once the player left the yland or disconnected from the game.
  • Avoid scripts that change the player character. Player can leave the Mystery Yland and the effect would remain active on his character even on other Exploration maps.
    • Example: Giving player immunity to fall damage so he can survive a long fall. 
  • It is important to keep in mind that entities spawn into the world after game logics.
    • Example: Do not reference an entity in Global Storage in an On Game Start event.
  • Game logics and their effects on entities and players are limited in scope to the yland only.
    • Example: Skills granted by a Skill Game logic will not persist on a player once he leaves the yland.

YLANDS-Competition 2021_ylands-header - 1920x887_preview.jpg

• Like 6

can I make a device available on the island as a reward that will change the alpha color of the entity he puts into the device? of course, in addition to the entities that want to paint, he will have to put some fuel into the device..

example: I will want bright armor. the device does not change any values of armor, only the brightness of its color.   

is it allowed or not?

Edited by Mello1223
  • Upvote 3

Thanks for the update, Nikki. I have another question, would it be possible to set the position the players boat will spawn in? I'd like to have them come towards my yland from a specific direction.

• Upvote 2

On 9/8/2021 at 10:06 PM, Oliver Hope said:

Thanks for the update, Nikki. I have another question, would it be possible to set the position the players boat will spawn in? I'd like to have them come towards my yland from a specific direction.

Hey! 

Unfortunately not, you would have to come up with a way to direct the players to the spot you want them in :) 

• Thanks 1