tonedeaf

Play with a friend

Hi I am very new to the game. I just purchased Ylands Exploration Pack DLC and was wondering how I play it with a friend.

I have added a friend but they dont show up in the game when we are both online.

Also I noticed that it is unpublished, not sure if that is the cause, and if it is , how to publish it.

• Like 1

First, let me point out that your friend must have exploration DLC to also play the current exploration DLC with you. If they do not, you can still play legacy exploration with them by starting a legacy exploration game,  hitting esc and clicking multiplayer settings on the bottom right corner of the screen when you are in the game. When you are done setting it up as multiplayer, you can invite him/her to play with you. If your friend does not own the DLC, then they can only join if somebody with the DLC is hosting the game.

In the current version of exploration, your friend definitely needs to have purchased the exploration DLC to play. You can set it up by clicking play with friends at the bottom left of the main screen. From there you can choose peer to peer, set up password protected sharegame, or renting a server. In peer to peer, the map owner is always the host, meaning that other players will not be able to join the game without the owner of the map being in game. in Sharegames, other people with the password can host the game (only people that have purchased the DLC). Keep in mind that Steam only allows 3 sharegames to be hosted. 

Once you set up a multiplayer game in new exploration you will get a message that explains the next multiplayer map spot you sail to will be that sharegame. So you must sail to a multiplayer purple spot on the map by sailing to the edge of your current map to travel to it and the sharegame will be there. Your friend will then have to also sail to the map you have set up in the same fashion. To share the map on new exploration with other players, go to the regional map view and click the little share symbol by the map and choose a friend to share with.(It looks like < symbol) Once you are in the game and on the map you can set up multiplayer privileges by hitting esc and clicking multiplayer settings. If your friend does not have the exploration DLC they cannot leave their starting map given to them as the free trial area.

Is sounds complicated but usually only takes a couple minutes. @Nikki Severin made a video showing how to do it. Have fun!

Edited by spiritchaser28
  • Like 1

Thank you for your quick reply.

Yes both of us have exploration DLC installed.

Ill give it try and see how we go

Thanks again for your quick reply

• Like 1

Ive done all that but my friend still cant find the game and when I go into multi player settings it still says Unpublished , even though I hit the publish button during setup. anny suggestions?

Did he accept the share when you clicked the < symbol on the regional map? When your friend is looking for your map is he looking in the correct region? Taiga, Tropical, Arctic, Arid, etc? 

Here are step by step instructions broken down. 

Edited by spiritchaser28

Also when my friend wants to join me does he go in through friends section and the shared , and mine should be there for her to join?

Also does he have to be inline when I click on the map <

Edited by tonedeaf

no go though the dlc because he will have to sail to your map he'll have to sail to the edge of the map he's on and it will give a prompt that they can now travel to a new map then he can chose your map

• Like 1

Everyone is giving great advice on here :) 

The "unpublished" button is simply a text issue. the game is published but the text says it is not, it is lying, pay the text no attention. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, tonedeaf said:

Also does he have to be inline when I click on the map <

So far I know the other player has to be online to accept the share. If you share when he/she is offline,  then they will not get the invitation when they get online. Both the person sharing and the recipient of the share must be online  for the share invitation to work and be accepted. I am hoping this is one of the quality of life improvements that come with 1.8 update. This is definitely one of the social issues that needs fixing.

Edited by spiritchaser28
  • Like 1

Well thank you, we have got that far.

Next step, now he can at least see my island, so now does he have to row back to the Island to start as he cant click on anything

Edited by tonedeaf
  • Like 1

first has he claimed his ship if not he'll have to do that by look at the helm and pressing Q this will pop up{first pic} after that he"ll have to sail to the edge of the map and this will pop up {second pic} then he can click on you island and travel there1678405957_Ylands9_9_202111_25_09PM.thumb.png.ee02b5403caa82a7edf1f8b40a245814.png88664272_Ylands9_9_202111_26_24PM(2).png.c81184848303b9ba692c39a1cfc019ea.png

Thank you for all your help, he has done all that, but we still cant see each other no matter what we do. Im not sure but our maps look a bit different also.

@tonedeaf are you on discord? I can walk you through it if you can share your screen with me there. Send me a message here or in discord. My username in discord is Spirit 1.8 (#9907)

Edited by spiritchaser28

Some of this could be bugs that the Devs are working on fixing at this time for the next update thats coming in out in the first part of Nov i know that doesn't really help now. But you can try unfriending him then send him a new friend invite while your both online and see if that help's

4 hours ago, tonedeaf said:

Im not on discord, what do you need to connect here. My shared game is called BENNERLAND.

I'll send you a message here and we can try to connect in game.