Aleš Ulm

Sneak Peek #37

Hi there, fellow ylanders!

With two major events - Gamescom and the release of Rainy Roads - behind us we can now once again focus fully on the development of new features and fixing and polishing of the existing ones. However, before I get to talk about the features we’re working on right now, let me quickly mention some general topics.

Based on what we learned from implementing the cars we decided to move NPCs into a later update (the one released sometime after the game becomes publicly available on Steam) so that we can give it all the time such a sophisticated feature deserves. Because of that, the next update 0.6 is now called Countless Colors and will contain - you guessed it - a new way of colorizing objects in the game that we believe especially those creative among you will love. There will be other cool features there (read further) but the important thing about 0.6 is that it will be a build we plan to release publicly a few weeks later, so it will also contain a lot of fixes and improvements.

Also, the moment when you'll be able to play the game via Steam is already very close (it shouldn't take more than two weeks). When that day comes, we will inform you both via forums and email and tell you how to proceed.

And the last thing before we dive into the beautiful sea of new features - at the beginning of the next week we will post a FAQ about our monetization plans. We decided to structure it in a way that would let us discuss features that are about to be implemented/introduced in detail while leaving the ones that are planned for distant future (which can be even more than a year from now) for later discussion, because a lot of things can change in the meantime and going into details now wouldn't make much sense. Also, to make sure the discussion stays easy to read, we'll move some of the topics into separate threads. The first of those, the one that we plan to add sometime after releasing the Monetization FAQ, will be used to discuss how we plan to protect your creations - since you are already sharing your games and compositions via Workshop, we feel having a discussion about IP/Copyright protection makes sense.

So, getting back to the cool stuff - what are some of the things we’re working on right now that you will get your hands on in 0.6?

Obviously, the system where you can colorize lots of game assets. Gone are the days where we limited you by letting you work only with assets existing in a predefined color palette. Now you'll decide which of the Countless Colors you’ll pick for your house bricks. Not happy about some clothing and armor? Then change its color... no, change its colors - many pieces of clothing will let you color their various parts with up to three different colors. And did I mention Paint Gun? No? Well... I have to keep something for later, don’t I? :)

Ship.jpg
We believe you'll welcome the option to lock your precious vehicles (Courtesy of Adrie's Shipyard:) )

For some reason, some people steal. Both in real life and in Ylands. In real life, you just lock what you don’t want them to take - while in Ylands... you will be able to do exactly the same! Right now we’re designing padlocks that players should be able to use with a lot of interactable objects -  ship helms, car steering wheels, workstations, otherwise unlockable containers, levers... To use those locked objects you’ll have to have a key (we’re also adding a way to quickly make key duplicates so that even your friends can access your stuff). We would also like to provide you with locks that can be opened with codes or passwords, but those may be introduced at a later date.

We know that for many (especially early in the game, before they get used to containers) inventory space is a big issue. In 0.6 we’ll bring you special containers (herb bag, key chain etc.) that you can have in the inventory and to which items of a specific type will be put automatically - effectively enlarging your inventory space while making things more organized at the same time. 

One of our programmers is working on a new environment audio system. Right now we can’t tell if it will be released with 0.6 or 0.7, but what we know for sure is that for Ylands this will make a really big difference.

And that's not all we're working on... There's improved respawning of animals, more interesting (and dangerous) nights and more - but that is something we'll discuss in some future Sneak Peek. Until then have a great time and stay classy!

• Upvote 4

I love customization. Everything I use frequently is highly customized. I think that Countless Colors update is the best update for me! :D

• Downvote 1

Sweet! I really hope we can color literally every block :D I'm gonna have a huuuge job painting all my boats and cars :D Also looking forward to many small new features and fixes! I think it's also a must have for us that we can have players out of the game when logged out, so we can have safe storage of items and houses :) Otherwise it's just waiting until you die of hunger or someone kills you, they take your keys and your stuff is gone.

Adrie

:D The Paint-Gun in my head is not just for painting, open a lot more possibilities. (Cool painting ans shooting arenas)

Giving colors to things makes the game more special!

On 08/09/2017 at 10:52 PM, WijkagentAdrie said:

Sweet! I really hope we can color literally every block :D I'm gonna have a huuuge job painting all my boats and cars :D Also looking forward to many small new features and fixes! I think it's also a must have for us that we can have players out of the game when logged out, so we can have safe storage of items and houses :) Otherwise it's just waiting until you die of hunger or someone kills you, they take your keys and your stuff is gone.

Adrie

I played on John server for a while I made a cave house, put my key hidden somewhere and nobody took my things.

Until its fixed I do that.

Just you and your friends must know where it is :)

Edited by BigBoss87

I'm looking forward for the "....more interesting (and dangerous) nights......". Painting for me is irrelevant. But ok.