Sign in to follow this  
Aleš Ulm

Dev Diary #194 Over the horizon

Hi there, fellow ylanders.

One of the updates in the past has brought a very unpopular change to the game - the maps and ylands got smaller. It‘s something we had to do due to a bug in the engine we‘re using, Unity, which caused various problems as the players got further from the center of the map. This was something that many (quite understandably) felt was limiting the Exploration experience. It was a tough, very unpopular call but one that had to be made.

It is with great joy that I can announce that in update 1.8 you‘re going to see large maps return. With the issue on Unity‘s side mostly fixed and some clever programming our smart guys did we‘ve fixed yet another problem that prevented you from enjoying Exploration to its fullest.

image.png

Not only are the large maps returning but they can be even bigger than before. How big, you ask?

Currently, we are still experimenting with filling the larger area with content. It would be easy for us just to spawn a lot of similar ylands across a larger map but we feel that true Exploration comes from reaching new interesting places and facing new challenges so the last thing we want is for you to feel like we simply „stretched“ the current maps.

It‘s possible (actually it‘s more than likely) that the larger maps won‘t be used to their full potential in 1.8 and this feature will become more apparent when we also do the planned changes to landscapes so that it‘s generated more unique and interesting, but you‘ll surely start seeing the results of us getting past this issue in the upcoming update.

That‘s it for today and until we talk again - stay classy and healthy!

• Like 11

It'll be interesting to see what people do with big islands. It sounds like a player could have some small villages spread out in the distance of these islands. Or the worlds biggest corn farm XD.

Edited by JonathanHunt
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, spiritchaser28 said:

Can't wait to feel lost again

Try do some scripting, you will feel lost at some point.?

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, Oliver Hope said:

Try do some scripting, you will feel lost at some point.?

i feel lost just thanking about that?

• Haha 2

Bigger maps and islands huh? Will New, bigger, even better random encounters come someday? Perhaps even custom encounters? What about Caves? Caves need a serious update. I want to get lost and struggle to grip onto my ever so slowly diminishing sanity as I desperately try to find my way out. Man... I knew I shouldn't have gone for that gold... Say, what if caves had traps layed out in them that the player would have to navigate around in order to progress? What if the traps protected special rooms filled with valuable treasures! Or more clothes and books. Man... How many Captain's Hats and copies of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland do I need!? What if there were more interesting, more lategame encounters that took place in the sky? Floating islands? Hovering towns? Or just really reallyreally tall plateaus? I don't know. Though the future of Ylands is only merely shaken by me, the majority of it rests in the palms of the development team. Stay classy.