Sign in to follow this  
Nikki Severin

Dev Diary #196 Client Scripting

Hey there, Ylanders! 

Fall weather is settling in here in Prague and while we are excited about all the pretty colors of the trees around us, hot tea and fluffy sweaters, we are even more excited about bringing you news about the 1.8 update! 

Exploration is getting a ton of love this update, but we are keeping lots of it to give to our wonderful creators too! 

As a creator, have you ever wondered why your multiplayer game is sometimes a little bit laggy? The thing is that all the scripting within the game needs to be crunched by the server first and then synchronized with all the players, so that no cheater can break your game. However, we have put our heads together and came up with a new feature - Client Scripting! What does that mean? For selected Game Logics, it is possible to create locally executed script, which does not have to be synchronized with the server so it runs much faster. This is especially useful for creating a nice and reactive User Interface. You can now even create client-run 2D games within UI and it will not ruin your performance.

2021-10-07_15h44_31 copy.png

However, as with everything, there are a few things to keep in mind while using this feature. First of all, not all Game Logics are suitable for this kind of scripting. And second, there are also certain limitations to the script itself, which is not as extensive as the server script and has a limited set of instructions. We hope you will find Client Scripting useful and can't wait for your feedback! 

That's it for this week and we'll be in touch with more news about 1.8 soon! 

Stay classy, Ylanders! 

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Hmm interesting!

Well, this for bow seems suitable for single player games. Does this new thing means, for single.player games, builders will be able to overwhelm a map? Or that is just concerning the speed of the system to interpret code (scripting)?

Probably team already have spoken about this a little more. So, is there any future plan to improve it more?

Not really sure what this is "really really" about, but everything can be improved ?

Actually I'm taking a long breake from ylands, so that when i come back at 1.8, new magic and spark can happen ?

Hell ya ?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jchob said:

Hmm interesting!

Well, this for bow seems suitable for single player games. Does this new thing means, for single.player games, builders will be able to overwhelm a map? Or that is just concerning the speed of the system to interpret code (scripting)?

Probably team already have spoken about this a little more. So, is there any future plan to improve it more?

Not really sure what this is "really really" about, but everything can be improved ?

Actually I'm taking a long breake from ylands, so that when i come back at 1.8, new magic and spark can happen ?

Hell ya ?

if I understand correctly, it's mainly for creating multiplayer games. I have already encountered the problem of delays a few times, especially in games where the player jumps, for example, on moving platforms, or in games where it depends on the minimal delay between the communication of the server with the gamer computer and rendering in some animations.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Oooh, you made a good point. Maybe it is for that purpose?

I already knew it would take some years for them to come up with a "finished game", and they are doing it.

I hope they don't stop for the next few years. We, community and developer team... this game can go even more very crazy ? (i wonder what I have missed in editor)

(Just to clarify, i did stop play ylands not because of the game itself, but just because of my own  life)

Edited by jchob
  • Like 2

Hi, I would love to give you a little more info:

Just a few examples what you will be able to do in client script:

Work with camera position and player's aim.

Trigger skills from custom HUD buttons/controls.

Work with mouse position in "cursor mode".

And much more!

It is surely advance thing for more experienced users but we hope that some of you will be able to make great things with it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, SpartanLGND95 said:

Is there any word when we could expect this update to release?

First half of November :) 

• Like 2