Sign in to follow this  
Nikki Severin

Dev Diary #199 Feedback Fur-ever!

Hey there, Ylanders! 

As we're nearing the release of the next update, which is jam packed full of fixes, quality of life improvements and polishing, we wanted to check in and say that it's looking great! 

So far, we've told you about mass pick up, custom map markers, workstation fixes, new Editor features, larger maps, achievements, client scripting and ship and torch improvements. But that's of course not all. There is much more coming and it is coming soon. Apart from the sweet sweet update, we will also be hosting a live stream with the developer team showing you some of those features and also answering any questions you might have, so start writing them down so that we can answer them for you during the stream!

Ylands_dragon_attacks_castle.jpg
(screenshot by YoHasLEGO)

And since we're now past the datalock (remember datalock? we talked about it here), we're of course already working on future updates and thinking about what is going to be next for Ylands. One feature we would like to give more love to are pets. Pets deserve our love in real life but also in the game. And because we want you to have the pet that you like the best, we'd like to expand the choice of pets in Ylands. Soooo... what kind of pets would you like to see in the game? 

Let us know what kinds of pets you would like, any details about pets in general or what you like and don't like about pets in their current state. 

We're gonna get back to work, but please do let us know about pets! 

Stay classy and healthy and the amazing players you are, Ylanders! 

• Like 7

Libilo by se mi i přidání spousty kostýmů, důvod je že vetšina hráčů ve hře má stejné (nejsilnější) brnění a má pouze změněnou bravu takže všeci vypadjí stejně a je to škoda. Jinak kamarád by si přál jako mazlíčka kočku  Sphynx a já nějakého psa, ale nevím jeslti je v plánu mít i mazlíčky chodící po zemi.

I would also like to add a lot of costumes, the reason is that most players in the game have the same (strongest) armor and only have a changed color so everyone looks the same and it's a shame. Otherwise, a friend would like a cat Sphynx and I a dog as a pet, but I do not know if they plan to have pets walking on the ground.

• Like 4

I'm humbled you used my old picture in this, though I have to give credit to Ed who built the amazing castle.

As for the pets, are we talking about the little flying companions? A flying penguin would be fun I think. Or a pegasus! The time of the year makes me think of bats too ?‍♂️

In any case I'm super excited for the update, love you guys.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

I LOVE the idea of the flying Pegasus!!! I would also like to be able to "pet" my pet and maybe make them land once in a while. Did I mention I love the idea of the flying Pegasus? Just wanted to make sure it was considered. Thanks!

Sandy

• Like 6

I like the idea of spending exploration points on pets. I also want the steampunk robot pet to return. I do like the idea Jarda mentioned above with walking pets. One thing I would like to see is them serve some function other than cosmetic. Perhaps they could attack when you attack and do a little damage? Or maybe give a boost to certain resistances? Or a slight speed bonus, damage bonus, etc......using @Yo HasLEGO's example of a penguin pet....it could give a cold resistance bonus.

Edited by spiritchaser28
  • Like 6
  • Upvote 2

Hey everyone! 

Thanks for the comments and ideas :) ? 

I personally would also really like a Pegasus ? And I know at least one designer who would really enjoy a penguin pet ;) 

• Like 3

a pegasus sounds wonderful. i wonder if the pets could have some sort of small benefit a bit like spirit suggested or for example, say you created a wisp pet, it could emit a small amount of light like a candle

• Like 1

7 hours ago, spiritchaser28 said:

Perhaps they could attack when you attack and do a little damage? Or maybe give a boost to certain resistances? Or a slight speed bonus, damage bonus, etc

The problem with giving pets bonuses is it becomes slightly pay to win as you need to buy pets with coyns. Sure if its only a small bonus its not too bad, but it could end up being a slippery slope...
A solution could be an alternative way to get pets.

• Like 1

Perhaps we should have (another?) pet design contest, people could make sketches or build a large scale one in ylands.

3 hours ago, Oliver Hope said:

The problem with giving pets bonuses is it becomes slightly pay to win as you need to buy pets with coyns. Sure if its only a small bonus its not too bad, but it could end up being a slippery slope...
A solution could be an alternative way to get pets.

That why I suggest the idea of buying pets with exploration points....then you can simply earn them as you explore....(I have an extra 832 exploration points burning a hole in my pocket LOL)

Edited by spiritchaser28
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, IEuphe said:

a pegasus sounds wonderful. i wonder if the pets could have some sort of small benefit a bit like spirit suggested or for example, say you created a wisp pet, it could emit a small amount of light like a candle

Ooh I like the idea of a wisp or a fairy pet that emits a little light.

Back to the idea of bonuses with pets...they could also have penalties associated with them....For instance the boar could give a slight damage bonus but could also make you hungry faster. A turtle could give you a toughness bonus but decrease your speed....etc.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, spiritchaser28 said:

Back to the idea of bonuses with pets...they could also have penalties associated with them....For instance the boar could give a slight damage bonus but could also make you hungry faster. A turtle could give you a toughness bonus but decrease your speed....etc.

oooo a pro and a con, that's quite interesting. i was thinking about a fairy pet not long ago and it could resemble something similar to the fairies like tinkerbell but personally i'd like to give them a benefit of every time you pick a magic blossom you have a 0.01% chance of harvesting a seed for that plant

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

One of my personal favorite pets I like to look at is the firefly. I suppose it's because of the steampunk aesthetic. ...but I can imagine some different possibilities of interacting with it. Perhaps it could give the light as well when you wind it up...Being a fan of steampunk, I think more clockwork pets would be cool also.

• Upvote 1

I'd certainly like to see more pets. I think an adorable little butterfly or fairy would be nice to see, seeing that it wouldn't be big, bulky, or loud, but instead small, silent, and cute. What if there were customizable pets, or pet customization options enabling the player to put clothes on their pets, or change their color? I know it's a bit of a long stretch, but I think it'd be an interesting thing to mess with. Reading some of the previous comments on this post, I'd agree that buying pets with Coyns may soon become inconvenient. Besides, when starting a pet collection, you want to explore and venture through impossible odds in order to obtain them rather than strieght up buying them. Perhaps you could purchase pets with a deferent form of currency? Pet tokens perhaps? I'd imagine you'd obtain them by completing certain adventure islands, or maybe finding them out in the world. Perhaps they could even be awarded by slaying some sort of rare and ferocious beast? I don't know. I suppose our faith lies in your hands on what you do, and how you go about making your game. Stay classy, and healthy Ylands team.

Edited by Hunter-Over-Fire
Making slight improvements
  • Like 1

I'd like to see pets have a real usage with unique strengths and/or weaknesses. Rather than being able to switch them whenever we want, I think we should encourage players to "bond" with the pet and give advantages for patient players.

Things we should do

- Create ways to invest in pets (feeding them food, petting them, etc)

- Create unique, small advantages that can be appreciated. Ex: An Owl pet lets you temporarily activate a buff that grants night vision. A Penguin gives you a small warmth buff while in cold regions. etc.

- Make pets more relevant in the Ylands universe. Make the player WANT to stay with the same pet across multiple Yland Worlds, games, etc. (Ex: Let pet choices affect multiplayer games)

Things we shouldn't do

- Have pets give free resources for playing the game in a normal way (Ex: crafting resource return bonus)

- Make it optimal to switch pets often

Edit: I'd like to see an Imp or a Devil type pet.

Edited by Igor Q.
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Igor Q. said:

I'd like to see an Imp or a Devil type pet.

Imagine a crossover with Terraria, where they have a Fire Imp Summon that fights for you.

MiniPyelots suggestions:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pets aren't pets if they just fly over your head (thats a drone with a never ending battery).

Whistle your pet, it comes:  lands on your hand, rubs against your leg, purrs etc .

You  interact with it with a dial of choices ie. feed it , stroke it, ask it to fetch something(a toy, or bone, or stick)  , Stay put, Instruct a unique emote, dance tricks rollaround, fly in loops etc.

It responds with a few different sounds / gesture.

They sleep when they are tired, or groan and move slow if hungry.

If bored they will randomly play or chase other animals playfully.

They will try to protect you and get some damage doing so, from those dangerous honey-badgers :D and retreat when health is low.

Feed it and the health recovers faster than if left alone.

Wash it and it recovers health.

• Upvote 3