Ane

Ylands on Steam

Dear Ylanders,

Today, 15th of September 2017, we released a patch that contains the last non-Steam version of the game - as of the next update, only the Steam version will be updated. You will be able to play the game outside Steam for some time (without getting any updates), but it will be discontinued later this year. Just to clarify, this doesn't mean that the game will start being sold on Steam, that's still planned for the end of this year.

Sometime this month, we'll start sending out the keys to those who already own the game so that they can switch to Steam with no issues.

We will include the instructions on how to enable your Steam copy both in this post and via email in a few days.

Stay tuned!

• Upvote 2

What will be the process for people just like me who got a Access Key during Gamescom?

1 hour ago, Cral07 said:

What will be the process for people just like me who got a Access Key during Gamescom?

The same as someone who currently owns the game because they bought it :)

• Upvote 1

Hello Ane,

My thanks for the update. I rather enjoy finding relevant details quickly and easily. However, while I wish the news applied to me directly, unfortunately it does not. I actually just learned of Ylands last night. I dozed off while on a Youtube game play watching tangent and awoke later to game play videos of Ylands by "One Last Midnight" and my interest was quickly piqued. I found and registered with your site then downloaded and played the timed demo. I quite enjoyed it until it all too quickly ended and I learned it will not be available until the end of the year.

I'll be totally honest here and state that this scenario is a bit frustrating. Perhaps I've been lucky, but I've never played a demo or EA in which I was summarily cut off shortly after when ready to pay to continue. In fact, when first in the game, I looked for some way to go ahead and purchase without finishing the demo as I have done with a few past games. I, of course, found no way and assumed I'd be prompted with a method to purchase and continue at the demo's end. 

Yes, my bad for making assumptions, especially based, in part, in ignorance. However, after hearing on the videos that Ylands could be purchased at the main site, I quickly went there and read the FAQs and this statement: "Right now, the only place where you can purchase the game is the Bohemia Interactive Store. Although our plan is for Ylands to be available on Steam in fall 2017."

Hopefully this comes across not as a rant, but rather an FYI that there may be some more than willing to add their support now rather than later and would not have any issue with the current version ultimately being shut down in favor of switching to Steam. I cannot make any suggestion other than to change the above FAQ statement to reflect that only a timed demo is available currently, remove the "Buy Ylands" from the "purchase" page, make the "Time Limited Trial" bold and clear and possibly even consider disclosing the time length available. There may be others like me that view that area while their vision is beguiled and blinded with excitement. 

My thanks for hearing me out and the possibility of your consideration. Best of luck with continued development, EA and release and future popularity!

Best Regards,

DeadSpine/Dwight 

Hello Dwight!

Sorry about the confusion there! We thought we had removed every bit that mentioned the game was being sold, but apparently we haven't :P Thanks for pointing it out, we'll remove that piece of info from the FAQ ASAP.

Was it here where you tried to purchase the game? https://store.bistudio.com/products/ylands  I'm just asking to remove any possible confusing bits left :) Now it clearly states that the game will be available by the end of the year.

It used to be possible to purchase the game at some point, but about a month ago we took the decision of stop selling the non-Steam Ylands version on our online store. You can read all about it here: https://ylands.com/community/topic/2980-dev-diary-14/

I understand the frustration of thinking you'll be able to play a game and then actually realizing it's not possible to, but I'm afraid there's no other solution than waiting for the Steam release (if you think about it, a couple of months is not that much time, is it? :P)

I hope to see you around when the game is out!

• Upvote 1

Dear ylanders,

This week we sent the Steam keys to a few players in order to test out the whole migrating to Steam process. Since the testing turned out fine we are now ready to send the rest of the keys. If you currently own Ylands, you can expect to receive an email with your Steam key (for free, of course) at the beginning of next week. In that email you'll find the instructions on how to redeem your code, but I'll post them here too nonetheless.

Migration instructions:
-----------------------------------

* adding the game to your Steam library is very easy: in your Steam application go to the “Games” menu and select “Activate a product on Steam.” Follow the instructions and enter the provided Steam code when asked.

* after this step you should see Ylands among other games in your Library

* when you run it for the first time you need to link your existing Bohemia Interactive Account with your Steam account. That is also very easy - in the game enter the Settings panel. There click on “Link Account“ and follow the instructions... and that’s it.

FAQ:
-------

1) Why do I have to link my BI Account to the Steam account?

When you run the game on Steam it has no idea that you already have an existing account that we use to identify your characters in saved games, that you use to login to the Workshop. By doing this we link the two together and everything will work as expected.

2) Why do I have to do it right away / I didn’t do it and started a new game, what will happen?

Whenever you enter any game in the Steam game version before you link the accounts, a new character will be created (even if you already had a character in that game created in the previous version). You will be able to play without restrictions, but later, when you link the accounts, these characters will become unavailable to you (and you will once again be able to control those created in the pre-Steam version).

3) Do I need to link the game?

While not strictly necessary we suggest you do so - otherwise you lose access to characters in saved games, access to Workshop creations you uploaded will become complicated (though possible), you will lose some special objects that you might have gotten in the past (like the items received via PAX codes) etc.

Thank you and see you on Steam!

• Upvote 2

The only problem I had was in the first day that we stuck into the terrain but after the patch is fine now!

Im glad that everything is going right! :)

• Upvote 1

@Ane I do have some other questions/suggestions.

First of all congrats to the entire team with hitting the next big milestone for Ylands (CakeRep time ;) ).

1) Wenn reporting a bug it might be handy that people report what they use: the stand alone version from the store or steam version, I know a lot of livestreamers don't realy check their mail inbox or this forum so it might be an idea to adjust the FAQ for reporting bugs and state that people should use the steam version only to stay up to date with new updates.

2) Will there be a "status report" on what bugs are fixed and things that have been added or changed to the game, I did notice some more updates on this steam version, the fix for falling trew ground made my Ylands experience much better again :) 

3) Wenn people (from my steam friend list) are in a server or have their explore map open to public to let other people join, is it possible to right click on their name and "join game" in the steam list or do we need to search for them on the server browser ingame?  It would make playing together a bit easier as what happend after the E3 could happen again after big promotions (like steam release) and we would see many servers popping up. 

Edited by A3_Melle
  • Upvote 1

Thanks! The Steam release is getting closer and closer and we're super excited about it! :)

1) Yes, stating the version they use is definitely a good thing do do!

2) This should be inside a newly created changelog/news panel available in the main menu (right now it's still a bit WiP but it will be fully working sometime next week), plus I'll post the changelogs on the forum as usual. Since we're still in the process of switching to Steam some things are still a bit "unsettled", but everything will settle down again soon :)

3) That is definitely something we'll be looking into very soon (in general future interactions with friends will be a topic of one of the DD we'll post in the near future).

• Upvote 1

Hi Ane, thanks for the information!

I have a quick query - I have two BI accounts, each with a copy of Ylands attached to it. I have activated my main account to my Steam account, and migrated successfully, however, do I have any options for the second BI account? Can I use the code in the email for it, as a give-away prize or something? I only have a single Steam account you see!

Hey there,

I am not great at the many technical aspects of gaming so forgive me if this is simple, but in the email regarding Steam migration there is info on how to 'link accounts' via the in-game settings. The problem is that this button is greyed out and unable to be pressed and in the bottom-right of the main menu it already has my Steam and BI username. I linked the two on my BI account when I originally bought Ylands but not on Steam, so does this mean that my Steam version is already linked despite these instructions?

Again, sorry to ask but I was a little confused. Thanks :)

Great work - love this game btw and happy it is now on Steam! :D

7 hours ago, John - Ylanders said:

Can I use the code in the email for it, as a give-away prize or something? I only have a single Steam account you see!

Sure! It's your key, feel free to use it as you please :)

14 hours ago, noumenal_angel said:

I linked the two on my BI account when I originally bought Ylands but not on Steam, so does this mean that my Steam version is already linked despite these instructions?

It could be, have you actually tried launching the game from Steam? (I assume you first redeemed the code we sent you on Steam).

Hello, i havnt recibed the key. Its true i havent played for a long time but i like the game, Im glad that Ylands has been added to steam, so updates will be automatically. I hope you can send me a key for steam, thanks.

Edit: Nevermind, i just found it at Spam. Thanks :)

Edited by AdayBicho
  • Upvote 1

I think I can't link both accounts. Happens nothing whe n  I press.

I though that it was already linked.

6 minutes ago, BigBoss87 said:

I think I can't link both accounts. Happens nothing whe n  I press.

I though that it was already linked.

Weren't you running the game on Steam already?

If you weren't, nothing happens when you click on the transfer button in the game? In that case please try again and if it fails send us the log (output_log).

11 minutes ago, Ane said:

Weren't you running the game on Steam already?

If you weren't, nothing happens when you click on the transfer button in the game? In that case please try again and if it fails send us the log (output_log).

Im running on steam, I tried to press Link acount and never worked, I thought that was normal :)

output_log.txt

10 minutes ago, BigBoss87 said:

Im running on steam, I tried to press Link acount and never worked, I thought that was normal :)

output_log.txt

In your case your Steam account is already linked to the BI account, so you're good to go, you don't have to do anything else :)

5 minutes ago, gamerdestroyer said:

hi Ane i don't already received the steam key at the moment. Its a problem or only need wait?
Thx 

And you currently own Ylands, right?

Have you checked your Spam folder? Make sure you're checking the email address associated with your Bohemia Interactive account.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Ane said:

And you currently own Ylands, right?

Have you checked your Spam folder? Make sure you're checking the email address associated with your Bohemia Interactive account.

oh sorry i have it but in my spam folder thx

• Upvote 1