NoNoNumGum

blocks not being placed on the same "grid" as eachother

Question

Every once in a while I will build on my boat and for some reason the blocks I place are slightly under or above the ones I already placed. 

In this photo you can see that on a part of my ship, the tiles are below the others.

20220126122420_1.thumb.jpg.e115479942c92aaf00e5d92269c2d49c.jpg

This photo shows those same tiles on the other side and you can see that they are slightly lowered for some reason.

20220126122436_1.thumb.jpg.6bd7a425a8616593984804352dcbc1b1.jpg

This is just a very slight bug, but when you're building you can't help but notice it.

Edit: it went from a slight bug to not being able to build parts of my ship

Edited by NoNoNumGum

11 replies to this bug / suggestion

It is getting really out of hand and frustrating now. I still don't understand what causes it, but its like its trying to attach to a separate grid. 

.20220127213340_1.thumb.jpg.bc2ff77b097173733666953737aeea68.jpg

Sometimes it causes things to try to place in one another. I had to use a solution from ocnog on this post to solve the "not enough space" issue. But now it is doing what you see in the comment above

In this photo you can see that it is try to place the brick in another brick (on the left side of the brick im placing you can see it intersecting with another) and you can also see that there is space on the right side

20220127213849_1.thumb.jpg.fca5532f774087868d255f93fb7906dc.jpg

Was part of the ship made in editor and then converted into a blueprint? If so I think I know what the issue is. When you build a ship in editor it is best to make sure it is built on zero X,Y and Z axis. Otherwise it will be slightly off center. I think they fixed this issue with the last update but older blueprints may still have the issue.

I still build all my ships in editor on x y and z zero axis though out of habit.

Edited by spiritchaser28

1 hour ago, spiritchaser28 said:

Was part of the ship made in editor and then converted into a blueprint? 

No, it wasn’t.

This issue is also happening to my friend. We still have yet to figure out when it happens but we think it may have to do with dissembling and assembling the ship. But that doesn’t fix or consistently cause the issue. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by NoNoNumGum

5 hours ago, NoNoNumGum said:

we think it may have to do with dissembling and assembling the ship.

Well in truth you should only place blocks when the ship is in construction mode. It shouldn't allow you to place blocks at all when it is assembled. You can still freeplace certain objects when it is assembled, but not blocks, doors, furniture, etc.  If you are trying to place a block next to a freeplaced block while it is in construction mode it will not align with the freeplaced block and will show red.

If you are having a block that is stubborn to place, always try freeplacing by pressing V. This also allows the blocks to intersect/ merge with each other and it can be tedious, but with practice it's easy. Hold right mouse button in freeplacing mode and use WASD, U and jJto move the block around into position. If you press V again it snaps back into grid mode. By default the block always starts in grid mode when you are placing. I use the V key a lot in the game

Another handy tip for placing a block if you want it to stay in grid but it seems obstructed is hold the right mouse button before you push V (while it is red) It will stay in the  grid placement until you move it. (which is quite easy to do accidentally) It takes a lot of practice.

Edited by spiritchaser28

3 hours ago, spiritchaser28 said:

Well in truth you should only place blocks when the ship is in construction mode

I meant that this seems to happen when we assemble the ship and the disassemble (put it into construction mode again) but we aren't completely sure since it doesn't consistently cause the problem or fix it.

You can still freeplace certain objects when it is assembled, but not blocks, doors, furniture, etc.  If you are trying to place a block next to a freeplaced block while it is in construction mode it will not align with the freeplaced block and will show red.

Yeah none of my ship is free placed, it is all locked to a grid.

If you are having a block that is stubborn to place, always try freeplacing by pressing V. This also allows the blocks to intersect/ merge with each other and it can be tedious, but with practice it's easy. Hold right mouse button in freeplacing mode and use WASD, U and jJto move the block around into position. If you press V again it snaps back into grid mode. By default the block always starts in grid mode when you are placing. I use the V key a lot in the game

Another handy tip for placing a block if you want it to stay in grid but it seems obstructed is hold the right mouse button before you push V (while it is red) It will stay in the  grid placement until you move it. (which is quite easy to do accidentally) It takes a lot of practice.

This is what I tried to do and it worked for the most part but it isn't just one or two blocks. My entire ship that has already been built is on a different grid than the blocks I am trying to place now.

I tried it from here:

11 hours ago, NoNoNumGum said:

I had to use a solution from ocnog on this post to solve the "not enough space" issue. 

Also, the first two photos in my original comment and the next two are both separate occasions. So it does fix itself sometimes but that doesn't mean it will be the last time it happens.

Edited by NoNoNumGum

I actually just discovered that the room I am building in is on a different grid from the rest of my ship, and that I couldn't place blocks because they were placing on the right grid. So I had it backwards, but that still means that the whole room I built was on a different grid than it should have been.

I would still really like this to get the attention of the devs though since it is still an issue. (And only fixed temporarily)

Edited by NoNoNumGum
  • Upvote 1

Has there been any new information or progress on this issue?  I just discovered that a large blueprint I recently finished is rezzing off grid by half a block. The original construction was done in the sandbox with the intent of using it on several islands in Explorer.

Several times during construction, each in a separate session, I tested the "stackability" of this print both horizontally and vertically and each time the test print aligned with the standing construction perfectly. Now the print will not align, I have several other blueprints that align perfectly but are much smaller. Could the size of the construct have any bearing on the "bug"?