Nikki Severin

Dev Diary #210 Sail-abrate good times, come on!

Hey there, Ylanders! 

As you probably know, the next update coming to Ylands will be all about adventures on and below the sea. And as such, it would not be complete without additions and edits to how ships work. 

Any proud captain would know how important a ship's name is. The name of a ship can be an indication of what its adventures on the sea are going to be a like and elevates it from an anonymous vesel to a personalized creation. So starting next update, you'll be able to give names to your ships!

Now that you've built your own ship, named it and set sail for the first time, you should really take care of it! Be careful about sailing in bad weather, because if you get caught in a storm, your ship will get damaged. At the same time, if you steer your ship to shallow waters, the edge of an yland or another ship, your ship will take damage and you will have to fix it up if you wish to continue on your journey without worries.

20220113172135_1.jpg
(screenshot by ilp0tt1)

Fixing a ship is a matter of skill and resources. You will need a special tool to repair your ship and also specific materials to patch up the holes that your ship had sustained. In order to avoid damaging your ship and to help you be a better informed captain, you will be able to monitor the ship's HP, the water depth below, the current speed and much more using special ship devices. 

This is just a quick look into what ships will be like in the upcoming update! Speaking of naming things, what do you think the 1.9 update will be named? Let us know what you think and what your tips are and until next time...

Stay classy, Ylanders! 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

So much YES to this post! I am excited about taking damage and using tools and resources to repair the ship. A couple questions.

1.Will we be able to see what damage is done (to blocks and entities, etc?

2.I have a few ships parked on other single player maps....will they be taking damage if nobody is on that map??? This is a HUGE concern of mine.  I am assuming if nobody is on the map that time on that map is suspended? (also assuming that unsummoned ships take no damage)

I am so glad you are including current speed, water depth, and hit points monitoring!!! (this will FINALLY end the debate on how fast ships go with so many engines/sails) This leads me to my 3rd question...

3. Will some of this new damage from weather and speed/hit point monitoring system  be applied to buildings and vehicles on land anytime soon??

I am assuming that since this new ship system will be in place that it will also be possible for other players to damage ships now via cannon fire, etc. ?  I am also assuming that when this update is done that most of the issues with ships vanishing and appearing on shore in other places will be fixed?

Final question....can we get a sneak peek at some pics of the special ship devices and repair tool? I think people designing ships would like to see so they can figure out and plan how to make room for those devices. Hope they aren't huge like the charging station LOL. People love having them on their ships but it's always been awkward trying to place them so people have room to walk haha

Lastly.....more of a suggestion.

Since the beginning there has always been questions about why people cannot place rooms inside the ship hull.  I would love to be able to see a below deck option that allows people to build living quarters, engine rooms,  storage rooms, work rooms etc. I realize this would take a ton of programming but one suggestion I have that seems easy is adding ship storage to the various hulls. (Junk ship holding the least amount, steam ship holding the most) Maybe It could be accessed at the wheel or by looking at and right clicking the actual hull of ship? It seems like that could be a lot easier to implement than adding rooms inside the hull for a short term solution. It would allow the players to at least think that their hull has actual cargo space. 

Edited by spiritchaser28
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 4

Adding onto spiritchaser28, if you have a dock for your ship that is surrounding 3 out 4 sides of the ship, will the waves knock the ship into the edges of the dock and damage it?

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, NoNoNumGum said:

Adding onto spiritchaser28, if you have a dock for your ship that is surrounding 3 out 4 sides of the ship, will the waves knock the ship into the edges of the dock and damage it?

Good question....just made me think of another. Will ships take damage if they hit land? I would think if the ship is anchored it wouldn't take damage from hitting docks....but anchors aren't a guarantee of anything in this game other than reducing lag.

Edited by spiritchaser28
  • Haha 1

Just now, spiritchaser28 said:

Good question....just made me think of another. Will ships take damage if they hit land?

I believe so

8 hours ago, Nikki Severin said:

At the same time, if you steer your ship to shallow waters, the edge of an yland or another ship, your ship will take damage and you will have to fix it up if you wish to continue on your journey without worries.

• Like 1

So many questions I keep thinking about....Will storage be affected by the damage the ship takes? I would hate it if a bank safe on my ship got damaged during an attack and couldn't recover the thousand or so ylandium crystals and tens of thousands of gold inside.....I am guessing if it gets damaged and repaired that the contents of the containers remain intact but could not be accessed until repaired?....on the flip side of that question it would seem more realistic to lose contents due to damage...but I would hope the rare items people get from Mystery Ylands and random encounters would remain intact at least...

Edited by spiritchaser28

@spiritchaser28 Atm ships are one big weld so I don't think you are going to be able to damage separate entities. Although containers cannot be welded so maybe they are handled differently 🤔

23 minutes ago, Oliver Hope said:

@spiritchaser28 Atm ships are one big weld so I don't think you are going to be able to damage separate entities. Although containers cannot be welded so maybe they are handled differently 🤔

Hmm Spyler and christal have a ship damage system in place for their games and it seems to show the damage on welded ships (visible blocks missing, etc.)

This brings me to another question. Will this new system affect editor made games? Will their be options for creators to control how damage is done to a ship and displayed? I can remember when we nerfed the propeller pack and how it affected some of the editor made games. I was all on board for the nerf in exploration but on the flip side it made sense to give the creators control in those mini editor made games. I'm happy the devs took that into consideration after many complaints, but my hope is they will do the same with this new system. For exploration this sounds logical and fair, but for mini games I am wondering if this may be another issue. Hindsight is always 20/20. I am just happy the dev team is seriously listening and working on addressing every player's concerns. It's hard to please everybody but they are doing an amazing job!

Sorry @Nikki Severin I tried to condense my questions to a few but now I gave you a list of questions haha.  At least you got job security answering all the questions people have :)

Oliver do you agree the ship hulls should have internal storage built in? You do a lot of scripting and this seems to be a fairly simple script for ships. But I am just a builder so I'd love to hear your opinion.

Edited by spiritchaser28

Looking forward to this update at long last its happening!

One major factor to consider however is the fact that by introducing PVP-able naval combat, players will now be building their ships to enormous proportions.

Has there been any safeguards in place to prevent large ships lagging out multiplayer maps like what currently happens?

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, spiritchaser28 said:

Hmm Spyler and christal have a ship damage system in place for their games and it seems to show the damage on welded ships (visible blocks missing, etc.)

hmmmmmm news to me. maybe they did some fancy stuff

3 minutes ago, Deadeye_Rob said:

Has there been any safeguards in place to prevent large ships lagging out multiplayer maps like what currently happens?

Good question. I know they recently updated their servers for multiplayer but lag is still an issue when it comes to ships. If PVP battles do occur in exploration it would be sad if a person lost their ship due to the fact the other person has a much faster computer. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, spiritchaser28 said:

Good question. I know they recently updated their servers for multiplayer but lag is still an issue when it comes to ships. If PVP battles do occur in exploration it would be sad if a person lost their ship due to the fact the other person has a much faster computer. 

Some of the ships Zarwil and I have been building are very block intensive. Now this shouldn't be an issue as they're all welded together, however it is inevitable that players will be now constructing enormous ships and pushing the game to its limits.

I hope the Devs have anticipated this and got some plans in place to make ships more manageable. =D 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Oliver Hope said:

news to me. maybe they did some fancy stuff

hahaha they always do fancy stuff. They make awesome games but every update some system seems to break. They had a system in place for propeller packs requiring ylandium power cells but the initial nerfing of the packs messed that system up. They got it back in place now due to the fact the devs listened to suggestions from creators and players, but they now have a new issue with recipes not being unlocked. I think perhaps because they use older maps for their games...but who knows for sure?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Deadeye_Rob said:

Some of the ships Zarwil and I have been building are very block intensive. Now this shouldn't be an issue as they're all welded together, however it is inevitable that players will be now constructing enormous ships and pushing the game to its limits.

I hope the Devs have anticipated this and got some plans in place to make ships more manageable. =D 

I know the pain. I play a lot with @Mello1223 and he has some ships that are massive. One he calls his little kayak is so big you can fit 3 steam ship hulls inside it.  It's an awesome ship but when he summons it my computer completely freezes. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2