Sign in to follow this  
kimbuck

UNDER REVIEW [YLD-6846] [YLD-7094] sharks and porous materials

Question

In order to stop myself becoming the victim of floating sharks jumping  onto the helm of my ship, i built a cage/enclosure around the  helm of my ship. However the sharks seem to become stuck in the flooring, ..or passing part way through the walls. or  leaping onto the deck and  getting stuck on the mast. If you kill the shark , it then rolls onto its back and becomes a weight that  de-stabilizes  your ship. The shark attacks seem to  occur after you release the helm controls to  either view the map or  eat.

several times i have  moved the camera view back to see a shark tale sticking out of the  stern  of  my ship ...and then see the sharks head  emerging through the floorboards.

This  seems to  be a materials porosity issue  as  the  building i  constructed will also "leak during" a rain storm,  even though the roof has decorated stone panels/marble  panels lining  it .

17 replies to this bug / suggestion

Thanks for the report! We'll take a look at those mischiveous sharks.

What do you mean the building was leaking? The rain ran through the building blocks? What materials were you using exactly? Is it the first time it happened?

I had the same problem with the sharks while building a bridge from wooden beams to my other Yland not far away, Sharks can attack me and do damage to me trough the floor of my bridge :( it happend several times. 

i built a 2  story  mansion..  i used stone decorated panels as the floor  of  the top story,( roof of the bottom level.)  I then used  angled stone  blocks to make an arched roof over the top story.. Sometimes the rain seems to pass through the roof onto the floor  and then pass through  that stone flooring  into the  rooms  below. If it happens again i will try a screen capture

I also note that when  exploring  caves, and its raining, the rain  will pass sometimes through the  earth and it  rains inside the cave.

The  ship i built has  horizontal  glass panels  forming the roof .. rain passes through them.

here are some screenshots of those  pesky shark attacks..  they start by coming up through the flooring and as others join in it forces them up  eventually  to Ylands_170921_170506.thumb.png.968405530b8ad2a047e4a5f71cd00483.pngon top of the deck /roof. Last  trip i had six of them  jumping   up through the floor  it the  boat. When you kill them  ..( best  by using a  spear) they  roll over and become a weight that de-stabilizes the boat. 

Ylands_170921_165256.png

Ylands_170921_165915.png

Ylands_170921_163322.png

This is what happens  when you "kill" th  sharks and cannot reach them to gut them ... they assume weight ..and will prevent the   ship from moving if they  foul a  structure alongside.

Ylands_170921_194416.png

Ylands_170921_194448.png

Alright, thanks for the detailed info!

Regarding the "leaks" - did you place the blocks in building mode?

yes  in building  mode..  it happened again in a different area this time .... screenshot attached  .. rain was coming straight  through    adding another layer of blocks seemed to stop it

Ylands_170921_194038.png

On 20-9-2017 at 1:29 PM, Ane said:

Thanks for the report! We'll take a look at those mischiveous sharks.

What do you mean the building was leaking? The rain ran through the building blocks? What materials were you using exactly? Is it the first time it happened?

I've had the same with my last 2 ships "leaking" through the roof when it's raining. I want to test this more, but I noticed that the /weather command is not in the game. Is there any way to get this command to test?

Also, the problem with dead sharks on your ship also happens when you die yourself. The grave block that gets placed (or my loot dropping) nearly flipped my boat upside down, which I believe is related to the shark problem.

Edited by WijkagentAdrie

i can confirm the grave block effect on a ship. It becomes immovable and the ship  gets  stuck on it.  You have to spend  time ( avoiding sharks)  hitting the block  until it  breaks, or if you are lucky,  move the ship in such a way that the grave block  slides off the deck ...where it  remains  suspended  over the ocean.

The same with dead  sharks  ...sometimes they will slip out  through the superstructure  and the corpse  floats in the air behind the ship. Once i left a trail of  six  floating   corpses  in a line  behind  my ship ...

Also  noted   that in  one case a passing  seagull flew into the side of my ship ... and   caused the ship to  rock  violently ... it  eventually   slid  along the   ship  side then when cleared it  and  flew  on its way and the  ship  returned to  normal movement

By the  way,  i am  enjoying  this  game. looking  forward to  more  developments  etc   Its a great way to  spend a day inside when the weather is wintry outside.

10 hours ago, WijkagentAdrie said:

I want to test this more, but I noticed that the /weather command is not in the game. Is there any way to get this command to test?

I'm afraid there's no such command available for players.

• Upvote 1

Witnessed the   porous roof again ..but  couldn't find the screenshot to post it.   Rain came through  like  the  stone  paneling was not there.

However i also noticed  that in some cases if there is  vegetation, -  trees - near a wall, and the leaves/branches pass through the  wall,  also  so will the  rain.  But in the roof  episode, theres no vegetation nearby.  Sometimes the  "leaks" appear to be at th  edges/joins of blocks or panels.

If i can locate the screenshot i took , will post it here.

Once again encountered "porous" materials.   the glass panels  for my roof of my ship allow   water/snow  etc to penetrate.  This is really  no big  deal , but with the  latest change where you cannot light  fires   outdoors during rain etc,  i encountered blizzard conditions while  sailing,  and   as it was getting  cold I  tried to light 2  braziers on the ship deck.  However the  snow was passing  through the  roof..and the  braziers  acted as though they were "outside" and  would not  light.

Also  spotted a "Sharkballoon" ...??     most likely a  shark  suffering  from gas..and  floating near the  summit of  a mountain!  I hope   they do not learn to  dive-bomb!    

20171026154848_1.jpg

20171026165841_1.jpg

Another instance of porosity.  The roof had  endured at least  a dozen  rain storms , then this .... i  noted that the pattern matches a structure on the roof. 

20171103162927_1.jpg

More info on the  porous  materials  issue.

It was raining  heavily..  there were some decorated stone panels on the floor, and i picked them up  in  readiness for  another  project. As  soon as they  went  into my inventory,  rain started coming through the roof where the  stone panels wereon the  ground, and in the same  pattern on the roof as how the panel were aligned when they were sitting on the floor.

When the rain returned later,  the  roof  acted as normal. Unfortunately   i had no  stone etc to put on the ground and  take back to test to see if  it  happens again.  maybe some  others  could try it.

And  yes ..i found  another shark on dry land , outside my  windowxD disturbing my sleep ...  same  position etc as the one  shown in the  funny  screenshots thread.

The  shark meat was delicious:P

• Thanks 1

Porosity  issue  occurred again..    roof is  made from stone panels..as is the floor..  I had  dropped items on floor  to make room to craft containers.  It started to rain and i picked up one small stone block   and   ..Presto!   rain rain  rain.      rain stopped and  it  dried out    another rainstorm occurred 5 mins later,  so out of  curiosity i picked  up another  stone item   and yes ..it happened again.

It  seems to be   that if the  object is made of the same  material as  the roof ...in this  case  stone... it  happens

Screenshot  included.

20171213112728_1.jpg