Nikki Severin

Update 1.9: OCEAN ODYSSEYS

Hey there, Ylanders!

Update 1.9 is finally here, featuring sharks and brand new underwater biotopes!

As its name suggests, Ocean Odysseys introduces a brand new underwater world to Ylands, featuring extra underwater terrain to explore, new underwater biotopes, and the return of sharks, along with other fish.

There’s also an improved multiplayer mode, new devices to aid navigation, damageable ships, and a loot container. We’re not exaggerating when we say that update 1.9 renews, expands, and improves upon the overall Ylands experience in a major way.

YLANDS - Update 1-9 - Soc-You-Thumbnail - 1920x1080_v06 (1) (1).jpg

A quick overview of what's happening in 1.9:

• Sharks. Better stay in your boat!
  • Underwater biotopes full of life and surprises
  • Ships can suffer damage and even sink
  • Useful new ship devices
  • Friends' locations are displayed on the map

Sharks
YES! Sharks are back and they’re more dangerous than ever - though you still have a chance to escape them. There are multiple underwater predators, waiting to pounce on unprepared explorers.

Ylands_Sharks_Logo_FHD.png

Underwater biotopes
Craft diving gear and explore underwater life. You can visit 9 new biotope types, gather new resources, discover new random encounters, and admire and catch fish from fish shoals.

Ylands_Underwater_Biotopes_Logo_FHD.png

Fish shoals
There are 18 kinds of fish shoals for you to admire during the long deep dive. You can even catch fish to get food or rare resources.

Underwater environment lighting
Small change for sure, but a welcome one. It makes sense that you want to see where you’re swimming, right?

Oxygen management
Take a deep breath for your underwater adventure. New diving gear will come in handy at this point, as it lets you dive deeper and swim faster.

Underwater cave generation
This is just the beginning of a largescale underwater adventure. While you may only find small caves at the moment, the foundation for cave generation is now in place and will be expanded upon considerably in the future.

Ship devices
When you want to experience a proper ocean odyssey, you definitely need as much information about your surroundings as possible. So let's build new equipment for your ship that warns you before you run out of fuel, tells you how fast your ship is sailing, enables you to find deep waters with random encounters more easily, and lets you know the status of your ship’s health.

Ylands_Ship_Devices_Logo_FHD.png

Damageable ships and boats
Now there’s another reason for you to build cannons on your ships because it’s possible to attack players with your ship on certain ylands. But be careful what you wish for because what goes around, comes around – meaning those ships can fire back at you! Keep an eye on your ship’s health, and keep the Repair hammer and resources close because you’re going to need them. Not only in case of naval battles, but ships can take damage in a collision with obstacles and even in severe weather, better put down the anchor when the large waves comes.

PvP
Let's play pirates! You’ll now find a new PvP setting in your server settings that lets you decide whether you want other players to be able to attack your properties from the sea or even engage in naval battles.

Playing with friends
Friends and clan members are able to see each other on the map by default. But if you’re a fan of hide and seek, just change the settings! We also tweaked the friends list, so it's now clear who can join in the game and who you can invite. An improved spawn system will summon you much closer to your friend's avatar. Now you can jump straight into playing with your friends without having to find each other on the huge maps!

Ylands_Friends_Logo_FHD.png

Loot container
Dying in the game is unpleasant, that’s for sure. But it’s even worse if you die with a full inventory because collecting everything again is such a struggle. That’s why we’re adding a loot container in 1.9, which keeps everything from your inventory in one container.

There are of course many more changes, improvements, fixes, additions and tweaks. We honestly can't wait to hear what you guys have to say about this update. The best person to sum up the Ocean Odysseys is none other than the 
Project Lead, Aleš Ulm, himself: “For a long time, the seas in Ylands have offered bare, empty depths with an uninteresting seabed, Update 1.9 changes that in a big way. Players will now be able to look for resources and enjoy gorgeous underwater life, both harmless and dangerous, while exploring new depths.”

Well, 1.9 is finally out, let us know what you think and most importantly...

Keep Exploring!

And even more importantly...

Stay classy!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy

I hope each future update aims to refine the water aspect of Ylands to become more polished.

Edited by Igor Q.
  • Like 1

20220331203752_1.thumb.jpg.57a07c4ac69216a457ae7e3847110870.jpg

"We'll be ready for battle! Should any Pirate wish to shake their little fist at us, our retribution will be so hard they'll wish they kept their hands in their pockets!"

• Haha 1
  • Fire 2

1 hour ago, 6Cowa6Bunga6 said:

with the new loot box on death, what the thought on having it float?

I agree. Swimming all the way to the bottom of the ocean to retrieve your stuff can be painful, especially at the rate at which you currently descend in the game, and with high risk of a sharks attacking you at every moment. Please do consider this developers.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Got my first shark encounter! Only just got back to my boat with half a heart to spare!

Its obvious to say that my real heart was pounding!

Edited by Deadeye_Rob
  • Haha 2

That's me half the time. I just wish the shark repellant flares would actually run the shark off, rather than causing it to ignore you for 10 seconds.

34 minutes ago, Hunter-Over-Fire said:

That's me half the time. I just wish the shark repellant flares would actually run the shark off, rather than causing it to ignore you for 10 seconds.

Gotta be honest it's really hard to balance it properly.

Shark repellant seems like something that's made specifically for shark-infested waters. Maybe shark generation should be in 1's and occasionally in large groups?

Haven't tried the update yet, what happens when your ship sinks? Can you repair it or is it lost for good? 

2 hours ago, zarwil said:

Haven't tried the update yet, what happens when your ship sinks? Can you repair it or is it lost for good? 

I believe you can repair it 

On 4/2/2022 at 2:42 PM, zarwil said:

You can re summon your ship in like 30 seconds at 40% hull hp, until repaired with a repair hammer and some resources your ship does less then half speed or something similar 

• Like 3

Tell me for God's sake, where to get tubular sponges besides the starting location?

Hello! 

Legacy Exploration is not getting updated with the new content. In fact, we won't be giving it any more support to focus on other parts of the game such as Exploration, which is getting most of our love these days :) 

• Upvote 1

This update needs some serious work, but it's a step in the right direction.
RE Exploration mode; If you travel to arctic waters and dive in a particular biome to find a particular animal (eg glowing jellyfish), that animal needs to consistently spawn there. Ore deposits are dismally rare, requiring mass amounts of exploration to collect the most basic assortment of metals. Don't get me started on diamonds and other rare resources These sorts of over the top grindy experiences to unlock workstations and equipment does not make for an enjoyable game. People can't be expected to waste hours trying to progress with the most basic of tasks such as unlocking the workstations and equipment. An even spread of resource requirements across biomes currently set is okay, but resource spawns need serious work and re-balancing. All level 3 islands should by default offer at least one of each basic minable resource (iron, coal, clay, copper, gold, saltpeter on both the surface and in caves), and other harvestable resources such as plants animals and marine life specific to that biome . I want to love this game a lot more than I do. It's 2022, everyone's busy, we can't afford to waste that much time grinding in a game.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

On 4/10/2022 at 6:39 PM, Joshua Miller said:

ive been playing legacy exploration with friends and cant find sharks or any of the new fish are they in the game yet?

have you looked up in the sky?

• Haha 3

Hey guys. Do anyone knows how to get catfish and where? Do I should dive deep into the specific biome or just try to fishing with the pole? 

44 minutes ago, del Okto said:

Hey guys. Do anyone knows how to get catfish and where? Do I should dive deep into the specific biome or just try to fishing with the pole? 

Fishing rod can only catch sardine now, you have to dive into tundra sea biomes and catch them with fishing net 

• Upvote 1

I have no idea where to look for the specific fish other than saying the region that it is in. I’ve been trying to find catfish for the oil for the past few weeks and no luck. Am I just blind or looking in the wrong place? Also I think you may have leaned to heavily on the ocean aspect of the update. Other than that, great game just a few kinks.