Sign in to follow this  
p4rr

Exploration Steam Ship

my current mobile base (now searching for a perfect island to make a house, probably waiting for v1.10 though)

I have a question for experienced builders - do free-placed blocks have bigger impact on performance that blocks snapped to grid ?

1.thumb.jpg.95ba1da62664e5aa82271885d4bf0174.jpg1911900833_boat(1).thumb.jpg.384a1c58bacca0cb6fccf86f2aba7e4c.jpg1925117487_boat(2).thumb.jpg.10f71c98c7261227153e20e4c8450993.jpg317571227_boat(3).thumb.jpg.0ed8b9abd7b3f168fc48c751b95495b3.jpg1502780555_boat(4).thumb.jpg.48aafad93a4e181b5e6e3ea7e33cb683.jpg

• Like 2
  • Fire 1

Awesome. Very creative ^^

3 hours ago, p4rr said:

do free-placed blocks have bigger impact on performance that blocks snapped to grid ?

Not sure. I haven't experienced any clear evidence of this, but I think it might impact how the game optimizes entity welds. Generally, if you free-place items, you can achieve much "denser" builds, and those will obviously take longer to load in various contexts. In terms of fps, I don't think there is a difference.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, p4rr said:

do free-placed blocks have bigger impact on performance that blocks snapped to grid ?

In general, the more collisions (blocks placed inside each other) a build has the laggier it may be performance wise, welding optimizes the build but if it has a billion collisions it can still lag. With ships it basically welds when you assemble and unwelds when you dissasemble. Free placing doesn't always have collisions

I don't see many collisions on your ship so it should be good to go

Edited by spiritchaser28

thats a pretty sweet build. mine looks like a brick compared to that..

i have done alot of free placing on ships before and havent noticed any issues. just a bit of lag when the ship loads in, but thats only a quick pause

1 hour ago, spiritchaser28 said:

I don't see many collisions on your ship so it should be good to go

everything except front mast, back windows and furniture is neatly alligned to grid - didn't want to risk frame drops after I fill the boat with all my stuff. haven't had any issues so far.

so 'welding' means that blocks placed on grid merge together so the pc doesn't have to think about the 'inside bits' ?

30 minutes ago, 6Cowa6Bunga6 said:

thats a pretty sweet build. mine looks like a brick compared to that..

i have done alot of free placing on ships before and havent noticed any issues. just a bit of lag when the ship loads in, but thats only a quick pause

thank you!

I love the building system in ylands. insane possibilities compared to certain other games, but I don't want to get carried away and overdo it with all the fanciness just to suffer lag, but after seeing some of the mystery islands, i think i can push it a bit further before performance starts to be an issue

1 hour ago, p4rr said:

I don't want to get carried away and overdo it with all the fanciness just to suffer lag

iv had a boat with well over a few tens of thousand pieces, its only takes a few seconds to load in. but once its loaded never had performance issues

3 hours ago, p4rr said:

so 'welding' means that blocks placed on grid merge together so the pc doesn't have to think about the 'inside bits' ?

I used to think it counted as one block, but that's not the case. It's a bit more complex to explain. Apparently optimization has to do with how it is displayed and a number of other factors. A while back some computer geek that understood Unity well tried to explain it to me but I got lost in the explanation LOL. All I know is it is better when welded, but in certain cases it's better to weld certain elements together for the best optimization. On Houses and buildings for example, it's better to weld all the roof elements, and then walls, then floors, windows.....from what I understand the welds are better optimized if they consist of the same types of blocks. It's never a good idea to weld things you interact with like doors, chairs, beds chests, etc unless you don't want people to use them.

With ships and cars it's different because you can go from totally unwelded to welded in seconds and the program figures out which items to not weld. With Houses that are freebuilt it is also different because the blocks will weld over a set time, but its still possible to take one block out of it and replace it with another if you wish because it sort of places the building in construction mode when you are adding something or taking something away. 

That's the best way I can explain it....I'm probably missing some details

Edited by spiritchaser28

Just now, p4rr said:

didn't want to risk frame drops after I fill the boat with all my stuff. haven't had any issues so far.

This is a problem in multiplayer, but not singleplayer. Locally, if you are hosting a server (i.e. playing alone in an exploration island), you don't have to worry about lag pretty much regardless of how big or complex your ship is. As soon as you play with others, however, complex ships will cause non-host players unbearable lag. It's a known issue since forever, and we're hoping the devs work things out. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, 6Cowa6Bunga6 said:

iv had a boat with well over a few tens of thousand pieces, its only takes a few seconds to load in. but once its loaded never had performance issues 

i like the sound of that. no more holding back ! :D

8 hours ago, spiritchaser28 said:

That's the best way I can explain it....I'm probably missing some details

thank you, i understand it a bit better now. I only recently found out that you can weld items so you don't pick them up by accident. Devs should add an in-depth building tutorial..

1 hour ago, zarwil said:

This is a problem in multiplayer, but not singleplayer

good to know. I'm yet to try MP

• Like 1