Sign in to follow this  
WijkagentAdrie

CANT REPRODUCE [YLD-6903] Editor limits

Question

Hello,

I'm designing some buildings now in the editor, and I noticed that when the part count goes up the editor starts to struggle. When deleting an entire group of blocks, only half of the blocks get deleted when you try to delete them, some blocks are unable to delete at all. When grouping a quiet large amount of blocks it can freeze the game for 5-10 minutes. My PC specs are quite good and should be capable of handling this easier, also the functions don't require much calculation I believe (just simple grouping and deleting actions?). The builds aren't that big. Some blocks that are impossible to delete I simply drag all the way under the surface to make them "disappear", but this isn't the right solution I believe :D 

Edit: Also notice that this behaviour is inconsistent. When reloading the map and repeating the same action (deleting the exact same group of blocks) it sometimes works flawless, and sometimes gets messed up. I haven't been able to find out what causes either situation.

5 replies to this bug / suggestion

Hi there! Our testers are unable to reproduce this issue, could you please send us logs?

On 01/10/2017 at 1:53 PM, WijkagentAdrie said:

Hello,

I'm designing some buildings now in the editor, and I noticed that when the part count goes up the editor starts to struggle. When deleting an entire group of blocks, only half of the blocks get deleted when you try to delete them, some blocks are unable to delete at all. When grouping a quiet large amount of blocks it can freeze the game for 5-10 minutes. My PC specs are quite good and should be capable of handling this easier, also the functions don't require much calculation I believe (just simple grouping and deleting actions?). The builds aren't that big. Some blocks that are impossible to delete I simply drag all the way under the surface to make them "disappear", but this isn't the right solution I believe :D 

Edit: Also notice that this behaviour is inconsistent. When reloading the map and repeating the same action (deleting the exact same group of blocks) it sometimes works flawless, and sometimes gets messed up. I haven't been able to find out what causes either situation.

I've had the can't delete issues occur for me several times on larger builds, though I'm struggling to reproduce it at the moment. I think it's in one of my streams so I will see if I can find an instance of it. Secondly, if I spawn in something large like a town, and then spawn it again on top a couple of times, then try and highlight all blocks to group them, my system also freezes up for about 10 minutes!

Hey Ane,

I've been playing a few other maps in the mean time so I guess the logs aren't gonna show it anymore right? Instead I have the map where it happens a lot. Especially the corner pieces are prone to this problem. You should be able to replicate it with this map! I've changed the .yland extension to .txt to upload, you will have to swap it back.

Adrie

ADRIE'S_STADIUM_RACE_1.txt

Thank you, that's still useful, Adrie! I'm afraid this doesn't have a quick fix though :(

8 hours ago, Ane said:

Thank you, that's still useful, Adrie! I'm afraid this doesn't have a quick fix though :(

Thanks for your response! I think this is part of the discussion of "should we even build things this huge". I don't think many people are going to encounter this problem for now. If you do have the problem that you can't delete a block, here's a workaround: for buildings, just drag it allll the way down into the earth as deep as you can. For ships, drag the blocks into the hull :) It's not a nice fix but it gets the job done!